Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 2:31:49 PM EDT
We are going to need a new grill soon(current one has been fucked up big time) and am wondering if it is worth switching from LPG.

ETA-"Butane is a bastard gas".
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are going to need a new grill soon(current one has been fucked up big time) and am wondering if it is worth switching from LPG.

Charcoal/wood.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Charcoal for the grilling experience.

Propane for the convince.

Cooking with propane is lame.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Lump charcoal or hardwood FTW.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Charcoal makes any meat taste good.

You could slap a babboon's ass on a grill over coals and I would probably eat it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Mesquite....
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Charcoal/wood is the only logical choice.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:43:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lump charcoal or hardwood FTW.

Winner.

Although I must admit, I've done enough different meats using hickory chunks in my gas grill, that its got a real nice seasoned flavor to it. I scrub the grill surfaces, and exterior, but never clean the inside, except for getting the char off the bottom. If you walk by it on a sunny day, you would swear something is in there, just smokin' away!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
If you've got the change and like to spend a bit of time, get the Big Green Egg or it's japanese equivalent.

They make Weber look like a toy firm, and are priced that way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Go real or go home.  We use buffalo chips.

No mess=win.  Propane for me, unless I'm really doing something special for dinner.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're going to use propane you might as well just buy a grill griddle and a bottle of liquid smoke and save some $
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Go real or go home.  We use buffalo chips.

No mess=win.  Propane for me, unless I'm really doing something special for dinner.

I got a $200 Kenmore on sale.  It's a piece of shit, but will burn meat appropriately for the next.. oh, six months or so before it rusts the fuck out.  I just didn't have $400+ for a Weber.

Maybe I'll build the next one.  It can't be rocket science.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#12]
H 335  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Where's the natural gas option?

I 'grill' with natural gas.  If I want BBQ, I pull out the wood chips and charcoal.  

Grilling is just to make something to eat, quickly and conveniently.  BBQ'ing is for when I want something GOOD to eat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:59:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Propane is so much more convenient that it's worth the higher initial purchase price.  Make sure you get a GOOD propane grill, though, if you get one.  The cheapies are too temperamental and won't last.

And if your equipment and technique are good, propane-cooked food is just as good as charcoal.  Or at least 95%.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:57:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Propane is so much more convenient that it's worth the higher initial purchase price.  Make sure you get a GOOD propane grill, though, if you get one.  The cheapies are too temperamental and won't last.

And if your equipment and technique are good, propane-cooked food is just as good as charcoal.  Or at least 95%.

Oh really? Look at what real cheif's do. they have to put wood chips in pans to get smoke, They also have big hoods to get rid of smoke in the kitchen.
Propane is considered fast, but in 20 min. I have a 700+ fire I can cook on, new is not always better.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh really? Look at what real cheif's do. they have to put wood chips in pans to get smoke, They also have big hoods to get rid of smoke in the kitchen.
Propane is considered fast, but in 20 min. I have a 700+ fire I can cook on, new is not always better.

Not sure I get your point.  You can put wood chips in gas grills or in charcoal grills just the same.  I put wood chips in my propane grill all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top