Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2009 10:51:15 PM EDT
I was watching one of the discovery/history channels and came across this program called 'pig bomb'.

How bad is it REALLY? They were making it sound like the swine are taking over the planet. Im in the NW, so I have never seen a wild hog around these parts, but they were showing video of Alabama and Texas, and they were thicker than rats.

And they were HUGE!! And ornery.

Is this a real threat, or is it more of the same ol' the 'sky is falling' BS?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]

meh

when SHTF noone will be complaining when they have all the bacon, ham, and pork they can eat!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Let em asplode, I loves me some bacon!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Send in the flying sharks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#4]
One day Chickens Pigs and Cows will rise up and destroy us all for all the atrocities we performed on them.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:10:50 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty dense in some parts of texas....  but freaking great moving targets to engage.

Shot one last year with a   .17 hmr through the eye @ 100 yards.  It's all about shot placement ladies

And not considered  "game" animcals... much more fun with NFA items  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:16:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

One day Chickens Pigs and Cows will rise up and destroy us all for all the atrocities we performed on them.

I'll start worrying when they evolve thumbs.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And brains.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Great moving targets!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:05:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Sows can breed at 6 months of age, giving birth to 8-12 in a litter, say half the litter are sows... 6 months later... repeat.. repeat... repeat... They are thick as republicans in Texas. They make great year round hunting, night vision, engaging moving targets, some guys use thermals to spot them. They make for good eating if you set them on ice and salt and let the blood drain and the meat cure, otherwise it's really tough and shitty to eat.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Inb4 overlords.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:46:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw this and the next morning, went on my  state DNR site . There was a lot of info on pigs and the picture of the two black wild pigs at the top of the page  was taken in my county in 2004.

Nobody knows about them though. Exept for one guy who let his domestics run wild a bunch of years ago (about 15) and they still roam the woods about 12 miles from here. Apparently, they've never spread even 3 miles away to a game farm I manage even though it's a river corridor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like a lot of pulled pork, bacon, and ham.

How is this a problem again?

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And brains.

and specific flu strains!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:09:03 AM EDT
[#15]
We have some land in NE Louisiana, and there are hundreds of them there.

I have seen a pack of up to 50 of them in a single gathering many times.  Most of our land is timberland, so they really dont affect us.  Still, people in the area consider them a nuisance, so we would shoot them whenever we saw them.
They are fuckin TOUGH!   I have put, what most would consider to be "stop in thier tracks" shots on them, only to have them run off, and never found.

Ill also say, those fuckers STINK  Fur is always real oily, and the meat isnt worth cooking. Very greasy, oily, and almost like eating gristle.

Very unpleasant animal.

On a somewhat related note, one of the most disturbing sights I ever saw from my childhood was this.

My cousin and his friend used to hunt them at night, on horseback, and using Pit-bulls to corner, and "hold" them. The Pitts couldnt actually hurt them, but they could occupy and distract them.

I should mention, that the ones in this area are NOT the small, 100lb ones you see. We have killed some up to 300+lbs, and there are much larger ones about.

2 of the dogs had a large one cornered.  My cousin, myself, and 2 other guys were with us. I happened to be the first one on the "scene"

The first thing I saw, and an image that has stuck with me my entire life was this:

Its obsiously dark, I come to the area, and there is a dried out ditch, I hear some grunting,and rustling, I came down into the ditch, and I see, a LARGE male, he has "gourd" the Pit with his tusk, the pit is STUCK on his left tusk, dead. He raises up his head, and looks at me, with an ENTIRE DEAD Pit Bull stuck on his tusk. He picked up his head, with the entire weight of the dog, like it was a feather.

Disturbing sight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Went to a restaurant once with a sandwich called the "pig bomb".  It was pulled pork, bacon, and ham.  

DELICIOUS!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#17]
They can be pretty bad in certain areas of the south.  Here in LA, as well as Texas, and all the way over to Alabama.  You can't go anywhere without being attacked.  Thats the main reason I carry.  They especially like human food, and know that they can get it by attacking people as they leave the grocery store.

There is this one huge boar along with its herd of smaller pigs (smaller meaning less than 300lbs.) that live outside the local mall.  They apparently love cookie cake from Great American Cookies.  They can smell them from a mile away.  Heaven help the person that tries to leave the mall with a Doozie Cookie.  DRT.  Gored to death by the boar, looking for that delicious icing and cookie goodness...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:38:53 AM EDT
[#18]
The pastor of my church owns something like 15,000AC in the missippi delta area, I've been asking him if some day I could go down and hunt pigs on his property, he's told me a few times he didn't know how many there were.

A month or so ago he wanted to let me know he had one of his crop duster guys try and count the pigs...........over 50 of them on a patch of about 100ac , so they're pretty thick.

I'm hoping i can go down the first part of next year and hunt some, I hear the meat is good IF you know what you're doing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i see what you did there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
pretty dense in some parts of texas....  but freaking great moving targets to engage.

Shot one last year with a   .17 hmr through the eye @ 100 yards.  It's all about shot placement ladies

And not considered  "game" animcals... much more fun with NFA items  

Not cool dude.

Kill 'em sure, but damn.....bring a pig killing round into the game. A .17 HMR is more than likely just gonna cripple or maim when shot in the head.

Use a .50 Beowulf.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Pork ribeye.

Pig hunting is the most fun you'll have in the middle of the night with your clothes on.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:29:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Catch them alive and feed the wild out of them and then butcher and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:34:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That may be true, but that day is not today and tomorrow don't look good either.

Today, McNuggets and Bacon and Steak are fucking delicious.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:36:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Send in the flying sharks!

With Frick'n LASER BEAMS!!!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:37:27 AM EDT
[#26]
According to our DNR we have some wild pigs in WI but in actuality there are so few that it is not worthwhile to hunt them.

We had a report a few years ago about a bunch of them in the middle of the state somewhere but since people were lining up to hunt them they got eradicated pretty quickly.

I am hoping that we never get a viable population of wild pigs after seeing some of the destruction that they do down south.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Catch them alive and feed the wild out of them and then butcher and enjoy.

In the meantime, the other 40-50 you didn't catch are busy breeding at a geometric rate.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

meh

when SHTF noone will be complaining when they have all the bacon, ham, and pork they can eat!

Good FOOD !!!!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#29]
They are a thorn in the side of many landowners.  They can absolutely destroy fields in the matter of a few nights.  That means big $ to farmers.

Just this week there was an article in the Houston chronicle about a man catching Burcillicious after slaughtering a feral hog.  They can carry some serious diseases.

Like was already mentioned, in TX they are a not a game animal and thus can be hunted by any legal means (Suppressors, Night Vision, FA(ithink)).  There has been a program going on that Texas Parks and Wildlife allows people to even shoot pigs from the air.  I have a buddy that claims they came out to his place with a minigun, but I don't know if that part was true.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:00:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Is there a George Orwell thing going on here?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They are a thorn in the side of many landowners.  They can absolutely destroy fields in the matter of a few nights.  That means big $ to farmers.

Just this week there was an article in the Houston chronicle about a man catching Burcillicious after slaughtering a feral hog.  They can carry some serious diseases.

Like was already mentioned, in TX they are a not a game animal and thus can be hunted by any legal means (Suppressors, Night Vision, FA(ithink)).  There has been a program going on that Texas Parks and Wildlife allows people to even shoot pigs from the air.  I have a buddy that claims they came out to his place with a minigun, but I don't know if that part was true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKCJ5SWevWo

That looks like some serious fun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a George Orwell thing going on here?

Who?

Did he play for the Jets?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:12:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Time for ham steak. Also to bring in the big guns to have a big BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:20:04 AM EDT
[#34]
The show was a combination of sensationalized fact and fiction sort of like the one about the huge man eating crocodiles in Florida.

I wonder if it's true that you need to wack 7 out of every 10 pigs simply to keep the population from expanding.

ETA: Wild boar is my favorite meat.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
They are all over Georgia, especially the central and southern parts along the river systems. Taking over prime habitat that the indigenous species now have to compete for and ruining untold acres of farms and property, you can actually see the foraging damage from aerial views as they trash huge amounts of land.

Kill the piggy!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top