Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 7:37:10 PM EDT
Just got back from the range and it was great. It was college night so it was only $10 bucks and there were a few cuties there.

I took the AR-15 to make sure my BUIS (primary sights for now) were dialed in. I was keeping my shots in and around Zombie Osama's eyes so that was good enough for me at 25 yards.

I let these two guys who were asking me about my rifle share a mag of Wolf. They had a blast. What really blew my mind was how little they new about their own pistols. They were very generous and wanted me to shoot their pistols but they were clueless.

The first guy said "come shoot my forty cal" "Ok cool what is it?" I ask. "A forty cal" He says..

I check it out. It was a polymer S&W but not a MP. I told him  I was pretty sure it was a Sigma.

The other guy wanted me to shoot his .357. It was a Taurus 627 with the ported barrel. That thing was really accurate at 25 yards and has me itching for another wheel gun. So as I thank him for letting put some rounds for it he says "Thing's sweet huh, I only paid $550(used) for it." I'm not a revolver expert but I'm pretty sure you can get a new one for $450ish on the net. I asked him where he got it and I shit you not he said "the gun show, that's where you get guns DIRT cheap". I was laughing my ass off  inside my head but I didn't burst his bubble. People need to learn how to Google prices before a gun show.

I told them to check around the net the next time they were looking to buy some thing. I wasn't an ass about it I was just letting them know.

Any way I had a good time. I need to get to the range more often.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Its pretty surprising how clueless a lot of  people are. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The other guy wanted me to shoot his .357. It was a Taurus 627 with the ported barrel. That thing was really accurate at 25 yards and has me itching for another wheel gun. So as I thank him for letting put some rounds for it he says "Thing's sweet huh, I only paid $550(used) for it." I'm not a revolver expert but I'm pretty sure you can get a new one for $450ish on the net. I asked him where he got it and I shit you not he said "the gun show, that's where you get guns DIRT cheap". I was laughing my ass off  inside my head but I didn't burst his bubble. People need to learn how to Google prices before a gun show.

Yep, deal fail for that guy. My LNIB (with papers) Smith 586 was $450 OTD.

Will actually have the Smith out tomorrow for a defensive pistol (quasi-IDPA) match. Was just filing the new-ish grips down this evening - bought some inexpensive wood boot-style grips which actually turned out to be pretty nice, except that the top back edge of the grips extended a little bit from the backstrap, leading to bad biting of the web of my hand with .357 loads (not noticable with .38s). All smooth now, yay.

BTW, I am currently averaging 4 range trips per week - 5-stand Tuesday afternoon, bowling pins Tuesday evening, def. pistol or USPSA on Saturday evening (alternating weeks) and then at least one outing for miscellaneous purposes (rifles, plinking, more USPSA practice, or chronoing). Happy times!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#3]
For all the decent gun heads there are at ranges there are always going to be those that just are clueless.

I must admit that when I was young...in my late teens many moons ago, I probably sounded just as bad to some gun head at that time!

Live and learn I guess...

Always good to help educate people about guns, gun prices, good deals etc...we've gotta look out for others that are interested in firearms!  Lord knows nobody else will.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, deal fail for that guy. My LNIB (with papers) Smith 586 was $450 OTD.

Will actually have the Smith out tomorrow for a defensive pistol (quasi-IDPA) match. Was just filing the new-ish grips down this evening - bought some inexpensive wood boot-style grips which actually turned out to be pretty nice, except that the top back edge of the grips extended a little bit from the backstrap, leading to bad biting of the web of my hand with .357 loads (not noticable with .38s). All smooth now, yay.

BTW, I am currently averaging 4 range trips per week - 5-stand Tuesday afternoon, bowling pins Tuesday evening, def. pistol or USPSA on Saturday evening (alternating weeks) and then at least one outing for miscellaneous purposes (rifles, plinking, more USPSA practice, or chronoing). Happy times!

I would love to be able to shoot that much. I was only able to justify going to the range because it was $10 tonight. Before I moved I had a great free range but even then ammo costs were/are killer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would love to be able to shoot that much. I was only able to justify going to the range because it was $10 tonight. Before I moved I had a great free range but even then ammo costs were/are killer.

How much is it normally? Here, indoor ranges are $10~$15 an hour. (No public outdoor ranges, unfortunately.)

Match fees for those I attend weekly (pins and  USPSA or psuedo-IDPA) are just $10 too. (So, $20 a week for me, since I shoot both pins & a practical match.)

The local club that offers 5-stand is only $6 a round - cheaper if you are a member, but that club is farther than the one that I already _am_ a member at, so no sense in joinging up there. They also offer trap, but I don't particularly care for that shotgun sport, so I don't know how much they charge for it; from experience, I'd say that it's probably a buck or two cheaper.

My primary range is a members-only club, offering a rifle range, pistol range, and a "multipurpose" range (50yd range allowing any firiing line position, as long as all present agree to the distance) plus an indoor range (though it is restricted to lead target loads and .22s). The great thing about it is that you can go pretty muich whenever you want - the gate combination is provided to all members, allowing you to come and go as you please. Shooting is allowed from 9AM til dusk. As long as there isn't a match going on, you can just come in and shoot. If there is a match, you can probably still use one of the ranges that isn't tied to the match. (e.g., you can use the pistol range if they are doing service rifle on the rifle range, or use the multipurpose range while handgun matches are going on.)

No fees beyond yearly membership, which is something like $150~$175 (forget the exact amount, as I became a member this year and dues were pro-rated). It's awesome.

ETA: I do burn through a lot of cash shooting. But it's what I do - shooting has FAR displaced all other hobbies of mine. The only remaining non-gun hobby is playing guitar, and the only expense I have there is the occassional purchase of strings and picks, or the semi-rare purchase of an effects pedal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top