Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 3:27:37 PM EDT
I have no idea how much truth there is to the height limits I've heard about in the past.  Is this more of an issue for flying fighters?  What I'd really want to do is fly something like an apache.  I am not sure if there are such limits on height for helicopter pilots.

I'm 6'3" but I have long legs, so my sitting height isn't as bad as it sounds.  I imagine that every vehicle has its own limit.  Does anyone know where such info can be found?  Thanks....
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Been a while, but if I recall correctly, in the Navy it is 6'5" to fly fighters. I don't believe there was one for rotary and cargo aircrafts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:29:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I remember a limit for the OH-58, but not for the other helicopters in the Army.  The OH-58 had a pretty low roof.  The rest have plenty of headroom.  The seat adjusts up and down, and the pedals adjust fore and aft.  I don't know what the height requirement was or if they measured you sitting or what.  I flew Hueys and they only bothered to measure the '58 guys.  

Ross
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually a specific range for leg-length (mainly from hip to knee) is one of the requirements.  If your legs are too long from the hip to the knee, you would hit your knees on the instrument panel when you eject.  The PJs would then be looking for a dead guy nicknamed "Stumpy" as there would be no way you could get a torniquet on your legs fast enough before you bled out.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:30:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Being that tall you are going to be at a disadvantage because short stocky people make better fighter pilots because they are able to deal with high "G" turns.  Other than that I know of no limits
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:11:00 AM EDT
[#5]
It's been a while since I was in the AF, but I believe the height restrictions are pretty much gone.  In the days of F4 Phantoms there was a height restriction based on ejection seat clearance, much as Kharn says.  Later, when I worked for GE, we made part of the FB-111 panel.  We had limits on our display components, even though the 111 ejected the whole ockpit.  My younger brother is about 6'2" and flew F117 and F16s without much problem.  He got more grief for his alleries than his height.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#6]
As I recall the USAF has a 74 or 75 inch limit, most fighters are made for somebody 5'8" to 5'11".  I had a buddy who was 6'2" and pretty muscular, he ejected from a B52 and broke the shit out of his collar bones.  His legs were fine, he was wider than the hatch and at 300FPS the ejection seat simply squeezed him thru.  He flew again but needless to say it was a painful wait for the rescue helicopter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
In 84 while I was stationed at MCAS Iwakuni, Japan I met Maj. Gen. Frank Peterson, Commanding General of the 1st Marine Air Wing(first black Marine Aviator and first black Marine General). He was 6'4" and an F-4 jock by trade. I doubt that your too tall to be a military aviator. My buddy is 6'1", a Lt. Commander in the USN and flies C-9's with VR50. He started out 12 years ago flying SH-60 Seahawks(Anti submarine version of the Blackhawk)
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm 6'2" and I had to look up to a fighter jock.
He had to be 6'5" or more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You can find the Navy and Marine height/ANTHROS standards at this link:
[url]http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm#hw_policy[/url]

Height/body measurements

ANTHROS
Required for applicants. No Waivers.

Sitting Height (SH) 32-41 in.

Functional Reach (FR) 28 in. or more

Buttock Knee Length (BKL) 21.9-28 in.

Buttock Leg Length (BLL) 36-50 in.

BKL is the most critical measurement. If member does not meet anthro standards on initial measurement he must be retested three times by the AVT and the flight surgeon. Please pay attention--these are frequently missed by examiners!

HEIGHT
Navy: 62" to 78" (M); 58" to 78" (F) for Commissioning in URL.
USMC: Minimum 66" (M) and 58" (F) for Commissioning.

Weight:
Aviation Limits: A minimum weight of 100 pounds and maximum of 235 remain in effect for all aviation applicants engaged in actual aerial flight. Applicants will not be waivered, because this would entail pipeline restrictions. For designated personnel the minimum weight is 100 pounds and a maximum of 235 for ejection seat aircraft. For personnel on non-ejection aircraft using parachute's, the maximum weight is 245 pounds. This is a safety of flight issue based on current ejection seat and parachute weight limit testing data. Waivers below and above these numbers may be requested for consideration on an individual basis. Members with nude body weight below 135 and above 218 pounds are to be advised that they are at increased risk for ejection injury .

Navy aviation personnel will follow the same standards and administrative procedures as outlined in the new CNO Physical Readiness Program. Aviation personnel must meet the height/weight table standards of the current Physical Readiness Program listed in OPNAVINST 6110.1F. Body weight greater than 245 LBS will not be considered for a waiver regardless of the members body fat percent

Sukebe, there is no reserve or active duty Navy Squadron named VR-50.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top