Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 2:13:00 PM EDT
One of the left leaning guys at work today was saying that the Washington DC firefighters did a head count from last weekend's rally and said there was only 70,000 people there. Has anyone else heard this? He said its on their website but I can't find it there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea, i have read things say 60,000 and at the same time i have seen other articles that say 1.5Million +
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Authorities in DC said 70,000.  Other crowd control experts on the scene and after viewing tapes report 1.1  to 1.2 million.  It was one of the largest marches in Washington D.C. history.  So who is right?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:30:26 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a big ass difference in 70k v 1 million+. That seems odd that the amounts are that varied.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Authorities in DC said 70,000.  Other crowd control experts on the scene and after viewing tapes report 1.1  to 1.2 million.  It was one of the largest marches in Washington D.C. history.  So who is right?

Well thats the point. This guy is saying 70,000 and since that is the "official count" from the DC people he claims it correct.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#5]
fuck the libtards, fuck the MSM

regardless of the numbers, we the people stood up for a change and those fucking pussys can't take that away from anyone who attended

(that goes for all 1.5 million of 'em)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It depends on who you ask.

Ask the White House (Obama) and the response will be, What March?

Ask the liberal media that will grudgingly acknowledge there was a march. They'll tell you, "tens of thousands."

Ask the National Park Service and they'll tell you over one million.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:32:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well thats the point. This guy is saying 70,000 and since that is the "official count" from the DC people he claims it correct.

The DC people don't do an official headcount anymore.  No such thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
You could peruse this thread and look at the links and such there; and decide for yourself who is correct  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Still no aerial photographs from the Helicopters that were buzzing around that day huh?

Gee, that's surprising...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]
It was well over one million.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
IU has some program that counts people.  They came up with ~1.7 million.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Just agree and tell him that for every person there there are at least 100 that couldn't make it.

I personally think there were way more than 70,000 there.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

IU?  Please elaborate (interested).

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:14:22 PM EDT
[#14]
MSNBC has stated that the total was eleven.

Seven were racists, the rest were pedophiles.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MSNBC has stated that the total was eleven.

Seven were racists, the rest were pedophiles.

I thought that was their viewership?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

IU?  Please elaborate (interested).

Indiana University
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

1.7 Million

Interesting info at that link.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
There is a big ass difference in 70k v 1 million+. That seems odd that the amounts are that varied.

No, it's not odd.

The evidence supports 1.5mil-2.0mil but there are a lot of people who want to down play the whole thing.

You can't have a bunch of right wing nuts pulling in a bigger crowd than Obama can.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]

70,000 my ass

i've been to numerous Penn State football games and the stadium holds 108,000 people.

there's no way the people at the march would fit into with 30,000 seats to spare. no way.

yes i was at the march

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:28:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Best way to know is to see how many people rode Metro trains that day.  I have not heard anything from Metro.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not odd.

The evidence supports 1.5mil-2.0mil but there are a lot of people who want to down play the whole thing.

You can't have a bunch of right wing nuts pulling in a bigger crowd than Obama can.

this^. pisses me off the lying,scheming going on

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:40:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I heard DC police said 1.2-1.5 million. That was the word from my dad who was there in DC on 9/12
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Max crowd size at any one point during the day, in the area of the mall, approx 100K.

You can increase the number greatly by counting everyone who showed up in the city for the event at any point during the day. But there was never more than 100K at the mall at any one point.

This drives home the importance of having a clear timeline and rally point for such events.  you dont say you are holding an event in Washington DC between 9am and noon, because your numbers will fluctuate.  You tell your people to be at X spot at X time to maximize the effect.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:44:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Max crowd size at any one point during the day, in the area of the mall, approx 100K.

You can increase the number greatly by counting everyone who showed up in the city for the event at any point during the day. But there was never more than 100K at the mall at any one point.

This drives home the importance of having a clear timeline and rally point for such events.  you dont say you are holding an event in Washington DC between 9am and noon, because your numbers will fluctuate.  You tell your people to be at X spot at X time to maximize the effect.

Bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
One of the left leaning guys at work today was saying that the Washington DC firefighters did a head count from last weekend's rally and said there was only 70,000 people there. Has anyone else heard this? He said its on their website but I can't find it there.

1.  The guy is an idiot for the simple fact that he is left-leaning.

2.  For ANY organization to take a "head-count" of numbers anywhere near 70K would be nearly impossible without massive control measures...which did not happen on 9/12.  Furthermore, the people are constantly moving, making any "doing" of a "head count impossible.  Estimating by surface area is more economical and doable.

3.  LOOK AT THE FUCKING PICTURES!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:51:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.

Saw something on CNN earlier in the week, some University did a comparison with photos from the Mall during events such as Million Man March, the Coronation of our Lord and Savior, Barack Hussein Obama, and the estimate this particular department came up, just dealing with numbers on the mall between the Capitol and the Washington Monument, was somewhere in the range of 600-700 and the crowd was overflowing on to side streets, hence the esimates given out elsewhere damn near close to one million if not more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

were you there?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#31]
We need to make sure that so many peope show up for the next march that the MSMs skewed figures will still be well over 1 million. I will be there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#32]
There is no official count anymore.

The DC police were the previosu arbitratos of "official counts" but they ended up taking so much heat from all sidea that a few years ago they said screw it and no longer provide official counts.

I do not believe anyone else has taken up the mantle to provide an official count.

A friend suggested that one could extrapolate the count from pics taken at the protest height. AN average person in a crowd setting takes up roughly 3 feet of space in a crowd. The quadrangles and paths on the mall are known quantities as well as bordering streets. As such it should be easy to figure out how many people are required to fill a quadrangle, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I can tell you that the charter busses that left from hamton virginia were booked, total seating 220,000. This does not include people driving, flying in. If you look at the traffic reports the was a huge influx that day, traffic always sucks in DC but it was a parking lot. Also there is a rail system from North VA that can take thousands more every 15/30 minutes.

My ass on those low numbers!

ETA: 220K seating Issued for charter bus parking permits for the special event. I do not think half the people took charters!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

1.7 Million

Thank you for that link.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]
1.5 mil is a lot of pissed off  working folks
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#36]
this is stevenh's 100,000 people in the mall, and thank you for believing the incredibly honest, truthfull numbers the media gave out.....

quoted from prior post
only tens of thousands at the rally, per "news" outlets, huh?
view of Pennsylvania, heading towards the capital.

from pajamasmedia instapundit
http://pajamasmedia.com/instapundit/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dcteaparty0912mkhsm.jpg
from fox streaming tv

million mom rally for comparison

and for those that think there were only people in the mall area proper

for details of the above image, see http://iowntheworld.com/blog/?p=6500
well, i guess those pictures prove that there's only a few 10's of thousands, or in stevenh's case, 100,000 people in the mall, at any one time
and as an edit, the aftermath of having so many "conservative, right wing extremist" at one place for over 3 hours?

compared to the 100 tons of garbage left when bho had his inauguration, 60 tons more than is cleaned up in times square, after New Years...
story http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/22/washington-undertakes-massive-trash-cleanup-left-inaugural-revelers/
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Be interesting to see how many texted the couplevnumbers they announced...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#38]

You tell me.
Rooftop cam footage of 9/12 tax march

(How do I make the youtube video screen pop up in my comment?)
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:34:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Here is the most scientific analysis I have seen of the crowd yet:
A 12 page analysis based on verified figures from other events. (with pics for the tl;dr crowd)
The result:
Scientific crowd analysis of aerial photos estimates 9/12 tax protest crowd at 1.7 million
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

actually...  schedule of events was posted on the 9/12 match website...   that seems to be a clear timeline to me

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top