Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:16 PM EDT
I have been toying with the idea of getting a truck for a long time, for several reasons.  

- You can get around in bad weather a lot better than a car, even one with AWD because of more ground clearance. (We seem to get enough snow here every winter to make the roads unusable by cars for several days without tire chains).
- You can tow stuff with it.
- You can fit more stuff comfortably in the cab, like installed radios, a rifle, etc.
- You can go places that might be off limits to a car during SHTF: Some water over the roadway (very common where I live, floods damn near every year), tree branches, muddy dirt roads (if you need to go around a blocked main road, etc).

The problem is mainly piss poor gas mileage.  For comparison right now I have an '02 Acura TL so I'm used to having 260hp and getting 28mpg on the freeway.  A truck that gets 10mpg around town makes me shit bricks.  If there was an emergency, having a gas hog as a vehicle seems to be problematic.  On the flip side I'm limited in luggage space in the car, I can't imaging where I would install radios in the cab and trying to keep a rifle next to me would be quite cramped.

Really I want to have a vehicle that won't bleed me dry with fuel costs day to day but have enough capability during SHTF that I'll be less likely to be stranded.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy American. Pretty much any 1500 4x4. Try to stay away from Dodges, but a Dodge is still better than an import.

ETA: Just now read about your fuel economy concerns. My advice is to not worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Tacoma...

or diesel cummins if you need to tow shit
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Chevy Colorado gets 17 city/23 highway with 4WD.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Buy American. Pretty much any 1500 4x4. Try to stay away from Dodges, but a Dodge is still better than an import.

ETA: Just now read about your fuel economy concerns. My advice is to not worry about it.

Meh, even a V-6 will get about 15 mpg.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Toyota tacoma or tundra

i've experienced 'em all (most)
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:15:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Toyota Tacoma
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Subaru

No, actually no joke.  A Subaru wagon sticks to the road like glue.  Will outrun my truck any day of the week through a foot of snow.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#8]
3/4 ton 4x4 extended cab diesel.  7.3L PSD or 5.9L Cummins would be the best.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Ford F series for more serious work, a toyota taco will always do good light duty stuff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Dodge Cummins diesel would be my choice but I'm a bit biased. I get 17-18 mpg on my '02 4x4 and it dyno'd over 500hp at the wheels. It's certainly fun to drive around. It just ticked over 274,000 miles today and runs like new...only a little faster... The older 12v motors are all mechanical and run forever. The newer trucks have the creature comforts but the fuel mileage tends to drop off as you get newer. The 7.3l diesel Fords are also pretty good trucks. I wouldn't trade my dodge for one though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

...a Dodge is still better than an import.

My '08 Tundra disagrees.  Dodges may be the worst trucks on the planet.

You're not going to find a fuel efficient truck, and if you do, it won't be what you're looking for.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Well being that Chrysler Dodge is owned by Fiat now, you aren't buying American.

And some Ford trucks are being made in Mexico, so they are technically imported.

A lot of Tacomas, and Tundras are made in the US.  They are all now none UAW and most of the are made with 75% domestically made parts, and their replacement parts are usually all made here in the US.

Someone talking about domestically vs imports needs to understand the Global Economy a lot better before advising someone else on where to put their money.

My American made Tacoma does more for American workers than any Mexican built Ford.  Unless you consider Mexicans Americans too.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Toyota if you want reliability and troublefree ownership.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Tundra disagrees.  Dodges may be the worst trucks on the planet.

You're not going to find a fuel efficient truck, and if you do, it won't be what you're looking for.  

Someone driving a joke of a pickup designed to do nothing harder than haul mulch, saying Dodge trucks sucks.

Irony.  It's great.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Chevy S-10 4-cyl if you are not towing anything bigger than a Jon boat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:27:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not get a "small truck" with a V6, it will not save you much on gas, plus more long term issues than a full size.  Ford F150 extended cab 4x4 is an excellent truck all around.  Chevy is pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
96-present Tacoma v6

/thread
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chevy Colorado gets 17 city/23 highway with 4WD.

I'm going to agree with this, my friend's Colorado 3.5 I5 5 speed 4WD is pretty ballsy and is a lot of fun offroad. Not the greatest mileage, but still better than a V8 with comparable HP and torque.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well being that Chrysler Dodge is owned by Fiat now, you aren't buying American.

And some Ford trucks are being made in Mexico, so they are technically imported.

A lot of Tacomas, and Tundras are made in the US.  They are all now none UAW and most of the are made with 75% domestically made parts, and their replacement parts are usually all made here in the US.

Someone talking about domestically vs imports needs to understand the Global Economy a lot better before advising someone else on where to put their money.

My American made Tacoma does more for American workers than any Mexican built Ford.  Unless you consider Mexicans Americans too.

Didn't know he was buying a new truck. I was assuming he was getting a used one.

ETA: The reason I am recommending American is NOT because they are made in America.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Always loved my dodges and never had any trouble out of them other than typical vehicle maintenance.
And the best solution is to get both, or at least get a real full-size car. I can fit a lot of stuff in my Charger.
I found the supercab colorados (had a Z71 for work for a while) to be a bit small inside to carry a fair amount. Nice truck otherwise in town though. Drove decently and had enough power to at least get out of its own way.
A good one would be a early to mid 90's f-150 with a straight six in it. Engine is completely bulletproof and they can be had for cheap being sold as work trucks. Won't set any speed records but it will get where ever you're going.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone driving a joke of a pickup designed to do nothing harder than haul mulch, saying Dodge trucks sucks.

Irony.  It's great.

The transmissions suck, which is why I don't recommend them (Dodges, I mean). I have personal experience with this. Otherwise, good trucks. Stay away from Dakotas, though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#23]
06 or new Tacoma.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know he was buying a new truck. I was assuming he was getting a used one.

I usually buy used
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#25]
silverado
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irony.  It's great.

The transmissions suck, which is why I don't recommend them (Dodges, I mean). I have personal experience with this.

Newer ones have that problem pretty much fixed, aside from the occasional issue.  Lots and lots and lots of old Dodge trucks, gassers and diesel, still cruising around as farm trucks, too.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Irony.  It's great.

Maybe I'll give your shitty Dodge a tow when the tranny fails.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

- You can get around in bad weather a lot better than a car, even one with AWD because of more ground clearance. (We seem to get enough snow here every winter to make the roads unusable by cars for several days without tire chains).
That's a good application if you are willing to deal with the drawbacks of a truck...
 Do you have stuff to tow?
- You can fit more stuff comfortably in the cab, like installed radios, a rifle, etc.
 As the owner of a standard cab truck, the type with the most usable space in the bed, I can tell you that there is actually little room in the cab.
- You can go places that might be off limits to a car during SHTF: Some water over the roadway (very common where I live, floods damn near every year), tree branches, muddy dirt roads (if you need to go around a blocked main road, etc).
 Don't overestimate the ability to go through/over debris.  Always go around.  Tree branches can puncture tires and/or damage undercarriages.

The best solution is to have a hoopdie/clunker/POS 4wd truck in addition to your car.  

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He might as well get a new one, they are trying to get rid of a lot of them from what I have heard,  There are thousands of new trucks that nobody has been buying in the past year.  Dealerships are selling them at 50%, buy one get one free deals have been popping up.  Cash for Clunkers dealer programs, (NOT FED) of nearly $6-8K off of new trucks.  Toyota can't keep new Tundras on the lot!

Someone mentioned that the Tundra is a mulch hauler...  Yeah, it may not have the legacy of being a Dodge going for it.  But sales of 153% over all other trucks this year alone is going to send a signal to Toyota, that Americans are going to be expecting more power, toughness and reliability, while letting American truck makers know that they don't have the market cornered on large trucks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of Tacomas, and Tundras are made in the US. They are all now none UAW and most of the are made with 75% domestically made parts, and their replacement parts are usually all made here in the US.

My American made Tacoma does more for American workers than any Mexican built Ford. Unless you consider Mexicans Americans too.

Well my F150 was made in the states. Says so on the sticker, and on the ins plate. At least it's a real truck that can haul something or pull something. Unlike the Pretend Truck line that Toyota, puts out. No wonder they are referred as Toys.

Yes it was made by the UAW, but at least the profits stay in the states, and don't run off to Japan.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I didn't read most of the repies, the most practical truck is your brother inlaws, the next is 70-90 chevy 1/2 ton with major body ugly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Tacoma 4x4
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#33]

The Ford F series is used in more work trucks for a reason. I've had a Toyota pickup and a couple of Jeep Cherokee's. I wouldn't take any of them for my F-150. I've got an older 92 F-150 Flareside 4x4 though that I bought to trick out also. The newer one's just don't do it the same for me, but if I wanted a new truck I'd still buy a new F-150 before anything else.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good application if you are willing to deal with the drawbacks of a truck...
 Do you have stuff to tow?
 As the owner of a standard cab truck, the type with the most usable space in the bed, I can tell you that there is actually little room in the cab.
 Don't overestimate the ability to go through/over debris.  Always go around.  Tree branches can puncture tires and/or damage undercarriages.

The best solution is to have a hoopdie/clunker/POS 4wd truck in addition to your car.  

You better buy a new truck if you got branches braking anything other than antennas, mirrors, lights or glass.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Chevy Avalanche. Why : 4 door, decent towing( i got a horse trailer and tows no problem), good storage space, plenty of room to add shit(radios, dvd players, cameras etc) and it got me out of some real bad storms last year when wisconsin was getting bad floods(when lake delton went bye bye). Like mine a lot havent had any problems with it either here is a pic:

another
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#36]
1009 CUCV, 17 mpg, plenty of cargo space and cargo capacity, can tow a small trailer, and has a very tight turn radius so it handle well in urban areas.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My Cummins will get 13mpg pulling my toyhauler with you 'truck' inside.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an 08 tundra and absolutely love it.  Its a bone stock TRD 4X4 and has been farther off-road than I thought it would make it  Also, it was built in San Antonio TX.

I'm not going to fuel the brand haters, but I drove all of them before buying and did my own research.  I bought the Tundra (when they were giving them away because gas was $4 a gal I might add )  To each his own, but that Tundra will be in my driveway for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A lot of Tacomas, and Tundras are made in the US. They are all now none UAW and most of the are made with 75% domestically made parts, and their replacement parts are usually all made here in the US.

My American made Tacoma does more for American workers than any Mexican built Ford. Unless you consider Mexicans Americans too.

Well my F150 was made in the states. Says so on the sticker, and on the ins plate. At least it's a real truck that can haul something or pull something. Unlike the Pretend Truck line that Toyota, puts out. No wonder they are referred as Toys.
Yes it was made by the UAW, but at least the profits stay in the states, and don't run off to Japan.

I don't argue that.  But they trend has been American Auto Companies, sucking up American dollars and screwing American workers.  So the money stays in the US, have you seen it?  Ford was about ready to go bankrupt last year.  The only reason they didn't take the bailout was that they had set up $23.5 billion in other loans.  So all this money staying has gone where?  Into loans?   They closed 17 factories and cut 50,000 workers.  Good thing the money is staying in the US because if it wasn't, who knows where America would be.

I don't know the specs on your F150 vs the Tundra and I'm not going to put the effort forward tonight for the sake of pointless argument.  But thinking that some "jap" truck is a piece of fake crap is exactly the attitude that has put Japanese trucks out as the number #1 selling trucks in the world and now the US.  Toyota's are found in every part of the world from Afghanistan, all throughout Africa, Australia, South America, Europe and now the US.  US trucks are only popular in America and Mexico.  We American's like to think out trucks are the best.  And we talk to other Amercans  who drive the same trucks and we talk about how which one is better than the other.  Because if you listen only to people who drive the same thing, that's all you know and after awhile that's the only opinion you hear.  In other parts of the world nobody drives American trucks because nobody wants them.  Why?  Because they are unreliable, and purposefully made so.  The Big three makes billions on repairs to their vehicles, 2-3 times as much over the life of the vehicle than it sold for.  The problem with American trucks is that around 60K miles they start falling apart, at 150K they are done.  Toyota's are still running in the worst shitholes in the world at 400K miles or more with little to no maintenance.  Typically American vehicles only exist in America, they are not sold anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
1009 CUCV, 17 mpg, plenty of cargo space and cargo capacity, can tow a small trailer, and has a very tight turn radius so it handle well in urban areas.
http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr136/efillc/Picture025.jpg

Ooooohhh.    Not another Army cast off that I lust after.

Thanks a lot Bubbles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
96-present Tacoma v6

/thread

yes... own a 96 Taco 4x4 3.4 liter. good little truck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#43]

Do your own research and see which trucks have the best record. All you'll get here is alot of opinion and a penis measuring contest.

"mines better than yours"

Heres my opinion based on a bit of fact. Toyota is the ONLY truck that regularly last over 300,000 miles without any major repairs to the drivetrain. Sure theres Fords and Dodges and Chevys that last that long but most will have some type of mechanical failure before it reaches anywhere near the 300,000 mark.
I have owned ALL of the above mentioned trucks and many of some of those brands, my next vehicle will be a Tacoma. But thats just my opinion and like I said , you should do your own research online...not on a forum.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:31:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have been toying with the idea of getting a truck for a long time, for several reasons.  

The problem is mainly piss poor gas mileage.  For comparison right now I have an '02 Acura TL so I'm used to having 260hp and getting 28mpg on the freeway.  A truck that gets 10mpg around town makes me shit bricks.  If there was an emergency, having a gas hog as a vehicle seems to be problematic.  On the flip side I'm limited in luggage space in the car, I can't imaging where I would install radios in the cab and trying to keep a rifle next to me would be quite cramped.

Really I want to have a vehicle that won't bleed me dry with fuel costs day to day but have enough capability during SHTF that I'll be less likely to be stranded.

What do you guys think?

I've got a 2008 F150 5.4L... and you are right it sucks fuel.  In town I'm getting 11 to 12 mpg.
When fuel goes back up, it's gonna get super expensive for a 30 gallon fill up.

Maybe you could keep the Acura, and get an older truck ( pay cash ) and put it on liability insurance.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You can thank Ford for me switching sides. My 06 F150 went through 5 transmissions in 27K miles. I finally lemon lawed the POS.

Now I'm happily driving a 08 Nissan Titan and have 66K miles on it.

5.6L V8 that is awesome.
5-Speed transmission that is in perfect harmony with the engine.
Fully boxed frame (yeah Ford isn't the only one that does this).
Storage box behind in the bed (yeah the new Dodge has it, but Nissan had it first with the newer trucks)
I get better MPGs with the Nissan than my Ford.
Factory sprayed in bed liner that is holding up just fine.
About $2K less than a similarly equipped Ford F150.

MADE IN USA!!! in Canton, MS.
Engine is made in TN.
Most parts I've seen have been made in the US. Tell me how this is an import?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#46]
The best SHTF Truck ever

The Truck You Cannot Kill
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#47]
4 door toyota tacoma v-6, get 4x4 and you will be very happy for 200,000+ miles.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: The reason I am recommending American is NOT because they are made in America.

the toyota's are made in america, the tundra is made in indiana, i assume you knew that though.  you do llive here right?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#49]
If you want fuel efficient, get a diesel.

20+ mpg.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

He might as well get a new one, they are trying to get rid of a lot of them from what I have heard, There are thousands of new trucks that nobody has been buying in the past year. Dealerships are selling them at 50%, buy one get one free deals have been popping up. Cash for Clunkers dealer programs, (NOT FED) of nearly $6-8K off of new trucks. Toyota can't keep new Tundras on the lot!

Someone mentioned that the Tundra is a mulch hauler... Yeah, it may not have the legacy of being a Dodge going for it. But sales of 153% over all other trucks this year alone is going to send a signal to Toyota, that Americans are going to be expecting more power, toughness and reliability, while letting American truck makers know that they don't have the market cornered on large trucks.
Winners: Chevrolet, Ford, GMC

Losers: Dodge, Nissan, Toyota

Among full-size pickups, total light- and heavy-duty sales in 2008 were 1.61 million units, down 27.1 percent from 2007's 2.21 million full-size trucks sold and the 2004 peak of 2.56 million. This figure excludes the Hummer H2 SUT, which GM doesn’t break out from total H2 sales.

GM sold 673,334 full-size pickups in 2008, which is 24.4 percent fewer than last year. That number includes 633,609 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra GMT900 traditional full-size trucks, 39,712 Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT GMT940 monobody trucks, and 13 discontinued Chevy SSR roadsters (which arguably was a midsize truck, but its impact in either category is marginal).

GM's lower sales volume masks relatively good news: a 1.5 percent gain in full-size-truck market share. GM was up to 41.8 percent of that market in 2008, its greatest share since 2002. That's a remarkable achievement in a year that saw the debut of the new 2009 Ford F-150 and 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 light-duty pickups.

The Ford F-Series finished 2008 as the best-selling vehicle in the country for the 32nd year in a row, with sales of 515,513 units. Combined with the discontinued Lincoln Mark LT, Ford sold 520,144 full-size pickups, or 32.3 percent of the segment.

Like GM, Ford also increased its share of the full-size truck segment, improving 0.7 percent over 2007. Despite that improvement, Ford's total light- and heavy-duty sales volume declined by 178,827 units, or 25.6 percent.

Chrysler was the only domestic truck maker to see both sales volume and market share decrease last year. The new light-duty Dodge Ram wasn't able to dent a 31.4 percent sales slide for the company, from 358,295 to 245,840 units. Market share shrunk by almost a full percentage point, to 15.26 percent –– the Ram's lowest slice since 2001.

Toyota had big plans for the current Tundra. It was expected to sell 200,000 units a year or more when it went on sale in 2007. Today, that target is a faded memory. The Tundra missed its sales goal by more than 60,000 units in 2008, falling 30.2 percent from 2007's numbers. In fact, the latest Tundra outsold the previous generation’s peak sales, in 2005, by just 10,720 trucks. Toyota’s year-over-year full-size market share shrunk by .37 percent, to 8.52 percent. We wonder how many 2008 Tundra shoppers were casual versus core truck buyers.

Toyota can take consolation, though, that it's not Nissan. The Nissan Titan –– the oldest half-ton pickup on the market in its current design –– saw sales fall by almost 50 percent. The Titan also gave up almost a full point of market share, going from 2.98 percent of the full-size market to 2.11 percent.

Couldn't find 2009. But I doubt that Toyota sold 153% over all other trucks

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top