Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:07:12 PM EDT
I figured I would give my 3 year old the upper hand so I decided to let her start school early "head start 3 and under". Thus far she seems to really like it, she cant form complex sentences yet, but can communicate with me somewhat. She seems to really enjoy riding the little school bus. But recently when I pick her up she has been saying "daddy teacher mad I broke helicopter" and such...

I'll then try to get more out of her by asking questions such as, "what did the teacher do" she will then reply with "spank my but" or "get mad at me" Up util I put her into school she has was also potty trained, in fact we had her using the toilet by 1. However she has been having daily accidents, until school she NEVER had accidents.

I'll be honest, I feel like knocking someones head off right about now but I don't want to jump to any conclusions, I know she is only 3 but for her age she is really smart, and aside from that all her teachers give me really bad vibes, all weirdos.

I'm thinking about pulling her out. What you say?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:08:37 PM EDT
[#1]
you know that scene in "Taken" when Qui Gon Jinn has that dude strapped to a chair in the basement and uses electricity to get information? Do something like that
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you have even the slightest bad vibes about the people watching and caring for your children when you are not present pull them immediately without hesitation. Period.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you have even the slightest bad vibes about the people watching and caring for your children when you are not present pull them immediately without hesitation. Period.

I'm gonna have to go with this right here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Shouldn't even be a question.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Try some of the larger churches in your area.  Many of them have "Head Start" type programs but are far better run.  (Private sector vs. Gov't.)

I don't like the sound of it and I don't even know you guys.  They probably didn't like the fact that she was ahead of the other kids so they make her regress.

TC
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I figured I would give my 3 year old the upper hand so I decided to let her start school early "head start 3 and under". Thus far she seems to really like it, she cant form complex sentences yet, but can communicate with me somewhat. She seems to really enjoy riding the little school bus. But recently when I pick her up she has been saying "daddy teacher mad I broke helicopter" and such...

I'll then try to get more out of her by asking questions such as, "what did the teacher do" she will then reply with "spank my but" or "get mad at me" Up util I put her into school she has was also potty trained, in fact we had her using the toilet by 1. However she has been having daily accidents, until school she NEVER had accidents.

I'll be honest, I feel like knocking someones head off right about now but I don't want to jump to any conclusions, I know she is only 3 but for her age she is really smart, and aside from that all her teachers give me really bad vibes, all weirdos.

She probably isn't allowed to go right when she needs to.  That's a huge problem for my niece.  At home, she can run in whenever she wants.  The teacher will say "not right now" or "not until you learn to blah blah blah" and that's not acceptable.

Anyway, yeah.. pull her out as soon as humanly possible.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  I did.

FWIW, I don't think the Head Start programs are geared so much for "on target" kiddos as much as for "disadvantaged" ones who lack the appropriate stimulus and support at home to get them ready for kindergarten.  If you're reading to her, helping her learn her ABCs and 123s, etc, I think she would be fine for school when it's time to start.  My son is 3.5 and part of our "learning" involves the workbooks with activities for tracing the shapes, numbers, and letters.  He's only so-so at it now, but he loves doing it.  So we just keep at it.  And they're not expensive, so when he uses one all up, it's easy-peasy to go buy another.

Relapses in potty training are big red flags in my book.  It doesn't necessarily mean something bad is happening; it could be as simple as a change in routine, moving to a new house, even starting school.  But if yo're not getty good vibes from the educational staff, eject. Like yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:21:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you met the teachers? Your gut instinct will say a lot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Kids do not learn linearly.  In other words potty trained for months then BAM
poop in pants all the time.

But go with your gut it is usually right.  They are probably angry trash and you
are subconsciously picking it up.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I would say this and speak to the other parents to see if any of them have similar concerns. It would be terrible to find out down the road you could have prevented a child from being abused, but instead chose to just pull out your child and move on without warning other parents of your concerns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Did you make up your mind yet?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Head Start?

Yeah, give the .gov a head start on indoctrinating your child.

The purpose of Head Start was to get ghetto kids away from their momma and their 'uncle' so they wont inhale secondhand weed or drink from the half empty cans of malt liquor littering da flo.

Yeah, I am sure the $8 an hour 'teacher' that ACORN helped get the job is real concerned about your kid.

Of course, YMMV.  (But not by much).

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#16]
And I used to wonder why a good part of people on AR15.com don't like public schooling.

Pull her out.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:26:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Didn't want to pay a babysitter huh?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#18]
PULL NOW
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
3 years old and already shipped off to govt re-education.

Kindergarten age is young enough, three is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The purpose of Head Start was to get ghetto kids away from their momma and their 'uncle' so they wont inhale secondhand weed or drink from the half empty cans of malt liquor littering da flo.
+1
RUN.

Kharn

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Head start is nothing more than a government run daycare program. The child should, if possible, be home with you or the mom, if you're not the mom. These are still very delicate bonding years. If it's not possible, and there's no way to make it possible, the child should be enrolled in one that is operated by a church that you're familiar with.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:32:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Head start is nothing more than a government run daycare program. The child should, if possible, be home with you or the mom, if you're not the mom. These are still very delicate bonding years. If it's not possible, and there's no way to make it possible, the child should be enrolled in one that is operated by a church that you're familiar with.

OH my goodness
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I would NEVER put my child in day care period.

We made a lot of sacrifices to make sure WE raised
our kids (not a stranger) and I have no regrets at all.

You can do all the head start things at
home, teach all the letters numbers etc.

I had to pull my child out of school when they had an abusive teacher who
would actually get them crying then tell my child "I'm glad you are crying".

We home schooled the rest of that year.

Trust your gut, if you question something is
wrong don't put your child in that situation.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH my goodness

Funny part is, I  didn't even see that coming.  I'm slipping.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Shouldn't even be a question.

Yep. Trust your instincts on this one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#26]
{Audited regional Head Start and was responsible for it's finances. Caveat: I have a poor view of HeadStart because of comments from many teacher friends/relatives,and my own experience with their operation . }

Just pull your kid from Head Start period unless you just want the daycare. Its best purpose is to allow low income parents to work with free/nearly free daycare.
The folks who teach there by and large are lucky if they have an associates degree,much less a BS/BA as most teachers do,or better yet an MS/MA. Their pay is low,so it's not surprising.
Quality varies considerably by region. Some (I've heard) are great. Some are ok. Some are horrible. Some are school run. Those might be ok if your school district is competent. Many Head Start groups are run by local non-profits (they use government facilities,and have government oversight,but are not technically government run). These not for profits usually fit something close to the ACORN mold in that they either enable the liberal poor to cheat the system,encourage them to do so,or otherwise waste enormous sums of federal grant money on various ridiculous Great Society-esque wasteful programs. (Ask me about multimillion dollar apartment buildings that housed 15 allegedly transient people- who lived there for many years w/o improving their condition-,who could have been privately housed for a fraction of the operating costs/cash flow). If they're run by a conservative type church or a competent school district, I might trust them. Anyway,long story short: Find out which group is behind your regional head start,and is pulling the strings. Make your decision accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Head-Start=ghetto pre-school.  Get her out.  Yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for all the input here,its helped me make up my mind. I'm pulling her out tomorrow. I had no clue what I was getting into, the welfare of my little one is my #1 priority. I do appreciate it guys. I did notice during orientation that all the other parents did seem gheto, we were and still are extremely out of place. Its not a matter of "getting someone to watch her" I just wanted her to bond with the other kids mainly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Head start is day care, not school. If you really want to help you child, buy some books and teach her yourself. It only takes 10-20 minutes a day. And she will be years ahead of the heathens, she will meet in kindergarten.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the input here,its helped me make up my mind. I'm pulling her out tomorrow. I had no clue what I was getting into, the welfare of my little one is my #1 priority. I do appreciate it guys. I did notice during orientation that all the other parents did seem gheto, we were and still are extremely out of place. Its not a matter of "getting someone to watch her" I just wanted her to bond with the other kids mainly.

I would suggest a good church
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#31]
If all you want is for your kid to have a chance to bond/play with other kids, look at folks who offer home-based day care.  My four year old daughter goes to one two days a week and loves playing there with her best friend.

Also, the public school system just sucks and we'll be home-schooling when the time comes.  We're already teaching our daughter to read and do very basic math.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#32]
i cant believe nobody has said it.....

mah baby dint do nuffin

on a serious note, first i would meet with the leader of the program or principal or whatever and tell them whats going on. its unlikely they will side with you though
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This, or have alot of regret.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#34]
You can't put your 3 year old into a "school" and expect it to be a good thing.   You can't expect other people to do your parenting for you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I went and spoke to my wife about this (She is a Pre-K teacher).

She said if you go and talk to the the director of the learning
center and tell them what your daughter said they will launch
an investigation very fast (like the same day).

She also said it is common for a child to regress a little
when starting pre-school (start wetting themselves etc).

I know my wife is an excellent teacher and she really cares about
the children, but  That being said still does not change My opinion
that I personally would not put my child in pre-school.

To me nothing can replace Mom and Dad

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If all you want is for your kid to have a chance to bond/play with other kids, look at folks who offer home-based day care.  My four year old daughter goes to one two days a week and loves playing there with her best friend.

Also, the public school system just sucks and we'll be home-schooling when the time comes.  We're already teaching our daughter to read and do very basic math.

100% agree

My wife did home-based day care as our kids were growing up.

Just pick a good one, get references, and talk to the other parents.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Did you make up your mind yet?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

+1,000,000.  I would rain shit down on anybody who messed with my children.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

This is truely the only answer

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Maybe what I said wasn't clear in my post, and may have worded it wrong.  I was just saying what everyone else has said. Please let me know what would cause some of you to say oh my. What I was trying to say, was that it's important for a child of those years to be with one of the parents, the mother if possible, and being that I don't know the sex of the op, I didn't know if the op was the mother or the father. Also, that in my opinion, daycare run by the government is generally just a place to drop kids off during the day, and has very little value, especially due to the fact that he/she will be exposed to things that are probably not in the child's best interests. And, that in my case, and many family members of mine, a nearby church has been a better option, and will help reinforce the beliefs of the parents while the child is cared for better and is exposed to other children that are being raised by parents of a similar mind set.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#41]
yea bro, i have 2 beautiful little girls and my 31/2 year old started school this year too.  I would not hesitate in pulling her out of school immediately, then i would try and contact other parents about why you did it.  Trust me, you will never ever forgive yourself if something worse happened.  good luck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#43]
give her a wire
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#44]
A 3  y.o. shouldn't be in any kind of school except home school.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Both of my boys started "pre-school" when they were 3.  It was at a small church about 1/2 mile from my house.  The instructors were fantastic, loving people.  

Find this type of place.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Head Start?

Yeah, I am sure the $8 an hour 'teacher' that ACORN helped get the job is real concerned about your kid.

This man speaks the troof! I remember when the Head Start program was first started and its always been a low rent, corner cutting, ghetto babysitting service. They dont give a flying fuck about teaching kids anything. If they could lock them in a room and forget about them for 8 hours a day they would. No wonder your little girl is regressing. I'm surprised she's not in a fetal position in the corner sucking her thumb. Pull her out TODAY! The church school idea is a good one. If it costs a few bucks a week, its worth it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Clear sign of stress when little children start having 'accidents'  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Head Start?

I just put my daughter in head start, and I was shocked as to how your statement is true. It is run by the Little Dixie Community Action Association, and the teachers aides are provided by Americorps.
However, It is a very rural school, and the teacher is absolutely great. Today is actually Dad's day, and I'm going to read the book Stone Soup to the class. If the staff wasn't so awesome, I would definitely be gone.  The scary part is that the Little Dixie CAA has a family advocate that is supposto meet with me to access our family and goals. That will get a kind "no thank you" from me, and they have mandated that every student get a physical and blood test. Again that received a nice "no thank you" from me so far. I have heard she (family advocate) will start to harass me and threaten me to get her the results of her blood test and physical. There is no way in hell that the local community action assoc. will ever even see a letter of my daughters medical record. If she presses the issue, I will tell her I will bring a note from the Dr. saying my child is healthy and fit for school. We shall see how that goes. I will play their game some, but when it comes to the .gov mandating blood tests just for their "studies", they get a big FU from me.

As for your situation, that sucks, and I'm sorry that the system that is such a truly good idea has been so twisted for political reasons. I know what your are saying! More than most likely, If you confront the teacher, it will just go bad for you. I say pull her out, and find another program. I was fortunate to have a home based "headstart" to send my kiddo to at that age.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Two words:
Private School

Layla went to day care at the public school 2.5 yrs and it was ok as far as teaching, but she is 2.75y/o now and she has switched to the local catholic school pre-k program, she has less outbursts and trouble, no more accidents, and is singing full songs and can read a bit.

You may not be catholic, but they do a great job teaching the kids here and she will learn a little bit about god and jesus and such. Funny thing is that it is cheaper by $20 a week than the public programs..

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:56:15 AM EDT
[#50]
young children when they first become involved in school, hear the other kids telling stories about home and retell them at home.

You are also going to hear all kinds of stories that could not have happened at school, stuff like grandma dying. How daddy is very disappointed, etc, etc..

Lots of the other kids stories will not be first hand kid stories either, they will be repeating things they heard their mother or father talk about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top