Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 1:56:10 PM EDT
............So fire up the beasts and make sure they actually work before you actually need them. It's surprising how many things can take a dump over the off season and standiong in line to get it fixed along with everyone else on the first cold day is something you don't have to do if you test it out early.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]
It's especially interesting for larger places when the call comes to get off the grid and it won't fire on oil.  YIKES!

Thanks for posting this, I need to vacuum out the burner on my home unit cause the home owner didn't do that before I moved in in May...grrrrr.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Ahhhh, most people will totally ignore this then have a s––tfit when they have to wait two weeks for service because everyone is booked and some parts are on backorder.

When they gripe, I always remember I have heat back at my house......................
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I make sure the A/C works 365 days of the year down here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
My A/C stopped working the other day.

Fuck it, I'll get it fixed in the Spring
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Woodstove ihas been cleened and chimney's been swept!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#6]

good advice

but i really despise the fall and winter

i need a place in florida to live for the winter

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You might want to reconsider that.

Everything (equipment) is going to the new refrigerant Jan 1.

If you need a coil or compressor replacement for your R22 set up,you will have to buy a whole new system.

Get it looked at now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:24:51 PM EDT
[#8]
There's a guy in my neighborhood who services furnaces.  Every year when the cold hits, he has to go retrieve dead birds from the blower motors of a looooot of furnaces.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's a guy in my neighborhood who services furnaces.  Every year when the cold hits, he has to go retrieve dead birds from the blower motors of a looooot of furnaces.

I've hauled out mice and chipmunks from inducers more then a few times. Dragged a few birds [including several fried but still alive ones] out of the heat exchanger/burner box, especially on mobile home types. Coleman and Intertherms are the worst for that.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to reconsider that.

Everything (equipment) is going to the new refrigerant Jan 1.

If you need a coil or compressor replacement for your R22 set up,you will have to buy a whole new system.

Get it looked at now.

Yep, and any other parts are just going to increase in price for those systems as the phase out continues on.  R22 and its parts are not ever going to drop in price.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Did this 2 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:01:37 PM EDT
[#12]
my AC is set at 75 year round and i have disabled the heat so noone can turn it on even if they want too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, my furnace went goofy end of last season. Damn thing wont ignite becouse the ignitor doesnt get hot.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yeah, my furnace went goofy end of last season. Damn thing wont ignite becouse the ignitor doesnt get hot.

If on heat demand you get 120V at the igniter connection [molex plug] then it's just the igniter. You can just pull the molex connection and OHM it out also. OL is bad, most any resistance is good or it will at least glow tho it takes a bit. [not like a range where you have to have a specific OHM read or the gas valve will not work] Sometimes you can see a whitish spot which is an indication of a break.

$30-$40 for the part and it's pretty easy to do on MOST furnaces. [Some are a PITA tho...........]

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]
<––––––
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
<––––––

How much was your electric bill for A/C in july?..............

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
<––––––

$150

For all power.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I know my heat works.  It has since man started striking rocks together, and the lean-to is full of wood.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I might be moving to PA in about 6 weeks, I don't think I'm going to make it through the winter no matter how well the furnace works. After all I'm going to have to go outside to get to my car and work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I actually had to turn the heat on the other night.  Smelled kinda dusty, but it's fine now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#21]
What are these "furnaces" which ya'll speak of?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I might be moving to PA in about 6 weeks, I don't think I'm going to make it through the winter no matter how well the furnace works. After all I'm going to have to go outside to get to my car and work.

I had to do the NYC thing from Battery Park City to 7 WTC.

It was brutal for a FL boy in the winter!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<––––––

$150

For all power.

I don't pay that much more for gas and electric in the winter month then you do. This year should be less as I installed a 2 stage95+  40-70K BTU furnace in place of a 70% 135K BTU one which was way oversize for my house and tended to short cycle.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to do the NYC thing from Battery Park City to 7 WTC.  

It was brutal for a FL boy in the winter!

I'm going to look like I'm on my way to summit Everest every time I step outside if I move out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top