Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 9:44:42 AM EDT
Can anyone recomend a decent pro-rkba company?

Dropped MCI-losers, ditto with AT&T / Quest.

Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with MCI and Qwest??

I really don't understand why anyone would want to pay ridiculous amounts of money to some of these "affinity" phone companies like the "pro-RKBA" one that gets mentioned every time this thread comes up.  The last time around, that outfit was charging ten cents per minute, of which some miniscule fraction (one cent, or maybe half a cent) got donated to an RKBA group of their choice.

Go to CostCo.  Buy an MCI card for 3.5 cents per minute.  Use it.  Donate the 6.5 cents per minute you save to whatever gun group you want.

Anything else is just pouring money down the toilet, and is nowhere nearly as effective.  It only enriches professional fundraisers who line their pockets while beggaring charities.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
While 71-Hour_Achmed is probably right I dropped AT&T a few months ago when they raised my rates by almost double.

I went with Marathon. Saw their ad in the American Rifleman.

I forget off hand what my current rate is but it is cheap (10-15 cents/min) and they donate 15% to progun org of your choice. And they do ask if you support the Second Admendment when you sign up.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
  GO WITH MARATHON 1-800-894-4081
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I use [url]http://www.mei-protel.com/homepage.htm[/url] and have been with them for years. I did my homework a few yaers ago and found them. All their business is word of mouth. There might be a cheaper company out there somewhere but I wouldn't switch anyway. Since I've been with them, they have dropped my rates once or twice and I didn't have to ask. 10-15 cents!? cough cough, Their calling card rate is around 12 or 13 cents. I don't know about pro rkba but probably could call Lori (the owner, it's a family business) and ask. I recall her telling me about trying to get Rush to let her library association name the Rio Linda library after him but he wouldn't call back. (I know, don't go there). Anyway, I use them for long distance and my 800 service cost about $0 to $1 to set up (I don't remember) and costs me something like .06 per minute. Anyway, their prices are too cheap to bother remembering and the service couldn't be more personal.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I use Marathon phone company, they donate to the NRA. No problems with them as of several months.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
71-Hour_Achmed has it right. I buy my MCI 550 minute phone cards at Costco for $19.95. Thats 3.6 cents a minute.

Qwest is a joke. When I moved from SoCal to Idaho, they wouldn'r even qualify me for long distance without a $300 deposit. I seems my credit wasn't good enough. I can qualify for a $200K home loan by myself, but I can't qualify for long distance. HAH!

Chris
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]
[size=5][b][orange]Zone Telecom[/orange][/b][/size=5]

I work for them.  Several employees are avid 2nd amendment advocates and the company has no problem with us browsing gun related sites (although there is no official RKBA policy for the company)  Also, if you ever have any problems with your bill etc, you have a fellow AR15.com member on the inside. Check it out.

[orange][url]www.zoneld.com[/url][/orange]
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't have a national long distance company.

It saves me the several dollars a month they all want to charge even when not using their service. When/if I need to call long distance, I use my cellular phone, as the cost of long distance is included in my monthly fee and included minutes.

I used to use Qwest, and as a "charter" member I was not charged monthly fees. But when I moved and called to change to my new phone number, they apparently set it up as new, and didn't tranfer it.  It took 6 months and a dozen phone calls to straighten that out, and I decided I didn't need that kind of silliness.

One less bill to pay, one less account to screw up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Go to sams club buy the 800 minute card for like $40 and it works good...plus no crap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top