Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2009 3:52:07 AM EDT
Seriously...what the eff is wrong with people these days?
Notre Dame sues ex-worker over $29,000 tip

<cite class="vcard">By CHARLES WILSON, Associated Press Writer Charles Wilson, Associated Press Writer </cite>–
<abbr class="timedate" title="2009-09-16T12:32:42-0700">Wed Sep 16, 3:32 pm ET</abbr>

INDIANAPOLIS – A woman who worked catering events for the University of Notre Dame says it was her lucky day when the school tipped her $29,000 in her check. But now the university is suing to get back the money she says she's already spent.

Sara Gaspar of Granger says in court documents filed this week that she "thought finally something wonderful had happened" in her life when the school paid her a $29,387 tip on April 17. She said in court documents that she called the school's catering department three times about the payment, but didn't hear back until she received a threatening call from the school in June.

Gaspar says by that point, she had spent the money on a new car and bills.

Notre Dame contends Gaspar should have been paid only $29.87, but was overpaid because of a typing error. The school says in a lawsuit filed Aug. 27 in St. Joseph Circuit Court in South Bend that Gaspar did not notify the school about the error, and instead spent the money knowing it wasn't hers.

Notre Dame says it discovered the mistake in May and requested repayment, but Gaspar refused. The lawsuit accuses her of unjust enrichment, fraud and conversion.

Gaspar, who no longer works for the school, says she suffers from depression and is frightened by the prospect of taking on a "power" like Notre Dame.

"If this was a mistake it was their mistake," Gaspar says in court documents. "Now I am paying for their mistake."

Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown declined to comment on the lawsuit.

There was no contact number listed for Gaspar in any of the court documents, and she did not respond to the lawsuit through an attorney. A phone message left at the only number listed in the Granger area under the name Gaspar was not immediately returned.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:54:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry.

Common sense says...  "someone might come looking for this extra $26K and change."  

I can see paying off the debt (and "she said" she called several times...  that I am in doubt of), but at the least DONT buy more stuff until you change your name and move out of state!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:12:42 AM EDT
[#3]
This story would be way cooler if she had donated the money to a Baptist charity.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:17:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Bank error in your favor.....................sorry lady.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:20:38 AM EDT
[#6]
She pissed it all away too now she's back to being poor.   She lacks money management skillz
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, a tip––that's what it was.  

Hey, if Geithner can't figure out the difference between gross and net pay, I can totally see how she thought $29K was a tip.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]
No backsies...

Maybe this will teach them to be more careful when writing checks...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey, if Geithner can't figure out the difference between gross and net pay, I can totally see how she thought $29K was a tip.  

Man has a point.....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:51:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She pissed it all away too now she's back to being poor.   She lacks money management skillz

This.  Unexpected windfalls should be banked and held until you are 100% certain that the money is yours and no mistakes have been made.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:54:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Unexpected windfalls should be banked and held until you are 100% certain that the money is yours and no mistakes have been made.

can she prove she tried to contact the University regarding the money...if she made a good faith effort and they blew her off then they should eat the mistake.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's called Judgement Proof. Look it up.

Notre Dame is pissing into the wind on this one. Spending good money to chase bad. They are being finacially retarded.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:32:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notre Dame is pissing into the wind on this one. Spending good money to chase bad. They are being finacially retarded.

It also means she'll be poor for the rest of her life cause the judgement will never go away. She'll never be able to buy a house, have a 401K, savings account - anything that could be seized as an asset.  In fact her wages may be garnished as well.   All for $29,000, which is gone, probably on crack or meth or dope

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

can she prove she tried to contact the University regarding the money...if she made a good faith effort and they blew her off then they should eat the mistake.

Yep, I would like to know who she contacted and when.

Though I'm thinking that contacting the catering department is a little weird, I'm sure a place like ND has an actual payroll/HR dept.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It also means she'll be poor for the rest of her life cause the judgement will never go away. She'll never be able to buy a house, have a 401K, savings account - anything that could be seized as an asset.  In fact her wages may be garnished as well.   All for $29,000, which is gone, probably on crack or meth or dope

Apparently, she bought "a new car."  

I'm skeptical that that's all.  Though I don't really care.  She's dishonest and I would try to get my money back if it were me.  Whether it made financial sense or not, there's more at play here.

If somebody stole something small and simple from you, would you try to get it back?
Better question - would you risk your life to keep someone from stealing your wallet?

Dignity does not have a price.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This story would be way cooler if she had donated the money to a Baptist charity.

It would be even better if she gave the money to NARAL or Planned Parenthood
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:49:10 AM EDT
[#17]
You should always check payroll before issuing the checks, and never make a mistake bigger than a final weeks pay.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You act like that will be a change in her status.

Also judgements can only last 7 years if the judgement holder makes no effort to pay in 7 years. After that she can clear them. Seen it done by plenty of low-lifes.

They also can't take the car. She is allowed one car in a judgement for transportation and they can't take it.  Sorry.

Notre Dame is just wasting their time and money.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently, she bought "a new car."  

I'm skeptical that that's all.  Though I don't really care.  She's dishonest and I would try to get my money back if it were me.  Whether it made financial sense or not, there's more at play here.

If somebody stole something small and simple from you, would you try to get it back?
Better question - would you risk your life to keep someone from stealing your wallet?

Dignity does not have a price.

Did we not read the same story? she made attempts to contact them, three of them to be exact How is that being dishonest?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#20]
What kind of idiot do they have signing checks that did not catch this mistake?  I can see maybe a $290 getting past as unlikely as that might even be, but a 29k mistake getting should get someone fired.  Since it had to be someone high up though, I doubt anything happens.

Now to the lady, she knew better.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man has a point.....

Exactly.  When the leaders of this country are rotten to the core, this is what you get.  

Who knows, she actually may win the lawsuit because of the idiots they have on juries.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:01:41 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I disagree. There is no way that she will be able to fight a Notre Dame legal team. They will win in court and that is really what matters.

It might not make a lot of financial sense in the long run (for ND) but she will lose out in the end...I predict that she will pay at least a portion of it back when she is faced with some of the alternatives.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:04:02 AM EDT
[#23]
She's a dumbass. Stick it in a money market savings account until they ask for it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:04:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Did we not read the same story? she made attempts to contact them, three of them to be exact
How is that being dishonest?

She claims that she made attempts to contact them. Big difference. Further, if she made the attempts that she claims then she knew something was wrong. You are owed $29, you get a check for $29k and you only call 3 times? She is a dumbass and a thief.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. There is no way that she will be able to fight a Notre Dame legal team. They will win in court and that is really what matters.
It might not make a lot of financial sense in the long run (for ND) but she will lose out in the end...I predict that she will pay at least a portion of it back when she is faced with some of the alternatives.

HaHaHa....

Your funny. What part of Judgement Proof do you misunderstand??? I can see you have no idea what that means.

Let me tell you how this is going to work. ND will spend a bunch of money (>25K) chasing 29K that they will never recover. Have you ever tryed to put a Garnishment on someone under the poverty level.

Let me clue you in. The court isn't allowed to.

But, go on living your fairytale life thinking things in life are fair.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How're they pissing the money away? I bet they have an in-house legal department they're already paying salaries on.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Sorry.

Common sense says...  "someone might come looking for this extra $26K and change."  

I can see paying off the debt (and "she said" she called several times...  that I am in doubt of), but at the least DONT buy more stuff until you change your name and move out of state!

I've dealt with universities in my business, and while I've don't get tips, I can tell ya their accounting depts can be very slow in addressing pay issues.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HaHaHa....

Your funny. What part of Judgement Proof do you misunderstand??? I can see you have no idea what that means.

Let me tell you how this is going to work. ND will spend a bunch of money (>25K) chasing 29K that they will never recover. Have you ever tryed to put a Garnishment on someone under the poverty level.

Let me clue you in. The court isn't allowed to.

But, go on living your fairytale life thinking things in life are fair.

I understand the concept of being judgment proof just fine but don't see anything in the article to suggest that she is "under the poverty level" as you say. She doesn't work there anymore...that doesn't mean that she is not employed or doesn't earn an income. Further it doesn't say in what capacity she worked at the university. This could very well be a "blood from a stone" type situation, but there isn't much information in the article to be able to say one way or the other.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#29]
She also has problems with the IRS if she didnt declare it as income.

You have to pay almost 50% in taxes for such windfalls.  Basically its like gambling.

If she didnt declare it, she would be liable for all sorts of taxes and penalties.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:35:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I love ignorance, some say it is bliss.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:43:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I got an extra $5,000 on a paycheck one time.  When I took the issue to payroll they said they'd have never found the issue and thanked me.  It did look nice while it was in the account.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sorry.

Obviously she didnt have common sense.  I know people like this unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not saying you're wrong...but that is what's wrong in this country today.
Instead of principles, we replace our legal system with "law that's cost effective."
Problem is, it ISN'T cost effective. It's why shit like health insurance is costly and the reason congress is butting in on shit they have no business in: because lawyers don't give a shit about the law: they twist it or ignore it to suit their needs. Not enough time and money to live a principled life these days.
And we're reaping that, aren't we? Inflated cost of goods, cost of labor, cost of insurance. And people wonder why the frikkin Chinese are holding our short hairs.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm jumping off my soapbox and finding cover before AIMLESS sees my rant.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Nortre Dame listed the payment on the check as a "gratuity" and not for "services".

They don't have a case.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Did we not read the same story? she made attempts to contact them, three of them to be exact How is that being dishonest?

She claims that she made attempts to contact them. Big difference. Further, if she made the attempts that she claims then she knew something was wrong. You are owed $29, you get a check for $29k and you only call 3 times? She is a dumbass and a thief.

You make a $29,000.00 dollar mistake and I have to call you more than once?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:22:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I think an anti-abortion charity would be a better way. It would make up for letting obama speak there despite the protests about his stance on abortion.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:30:12 AM EDT
[#37]
I had several thousand dollars deposited into my account once. I called numerous times, went in and talked with tellers and the managers at least 5 times. No one could tell me anything about how it got in there. After a year [I left it off my balance] I called fair game and invested it.

It's been 14 years so there is nothing they can do now so I don't feel bad and they can do nothing anyways.

The person they need to be going after and holding responsible is the idiot that wrote out the check. They should be standing in the unemployment line but I doubt they will actually fire the person responsible for the screw up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top