Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2009 2:41:15 PM EDT
So pigeons have always been sort of a bother at my house since I have lived here, they shit all over everything in the porch and eat all of the dog food before the dogs do.  This year, the pigeon population has quadrupled, there are hundreds of these nasty flying rats everywhere.  They can clean a full bowl of dog food out in about 30 minutes, which in turn is taking $$$ from my pocket because I have to get more food for my dog.  I called the city and they told me to either trap them, kill them, poison them or scare them off.  I took someones suggestion and tied a bunch of CD's together and hanging them outside and it didn't bother them one bit.  I don't want to poison them because it will also kill the Dove and Blue Birds, Black Birds, Sparrows etc that don't bother me.

My neighbor has a fake owl that they shit all over.  I have a St Bernard and a shepherd mix and bringing them or their food inside is not an option as they are not house broken.  I picked up a Daisy BB gun that I have all but shot to death killing these things.  It seems that for every one I shoot two more show up.  Today I went outside to feed the dogs and there were no less than 40 of them lining the rooftops watching me.  These things are a real PITA.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  FYI I don't want to hire a pest control company because they charge way too much.  My brother worked for one and they wanted hundreds of $$$ just to come out and look and come up with a plan.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Pellet gun + persistence = Win
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:44:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Fire

Use it

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
stop them from roosting, close off holes etc.

make or purchase wire thingies that poke them if they try to land, be vigilant.

when they find a new place rig it up to stop em.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:45:37 PM EDT
[#4]
You know all of that birdshot you have loaded in your 870?

THIS is what it is used for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pellet gun + persistence = Win

Like I said, I hunt these flying turds daily.  Set up traps with dog food and wait for them etc.  They just keep multiplying.  My pellet gun is almost dead because of how many rounds I have put through it.  I am in the city so I cant use a shotgun.  Even if I pigeon proof my house, my neighbors houses will still have nests.  I have done my best to keep them out of my chimney and air conditioner by using duct tape and wire mesh etc.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Do I have to fucking think of everything!!!!!

Have an ARfcom shoot get together!!!!! Bring BB guns, suppressed .22's etc....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm down.  I will provide the beer and burgers.  These suckers are smart though, they know I hunt them, so if I move too fast or look at them directly they fly off for a while.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:51:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm down.  I will provide the beer and burgers.  These suckers are smart though, they know I hunt them, so if I move too fast or look at them directly they fly off for a while.

PULL!
ETA: NOOOOOO! wasted post 223
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a good pellet gun. Some of the .22's are like 1400FPS. You'll knock them right off the roof with one shot. Just keep at it. You'll win.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Get some live pigeon traps––-they will hold about 15 birds.  Find some retriever or bird dog trainers in your area.  Sell the live birds and profit.  The dog trainers will shoot them.  Your only expenses will be the bait and a bit of time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Get some live pigeon traps––-they will hold about 15 birds.  Find some retriever or bird dog trainers in your area.  Sell the live birds and profit.  The dog trainers will shoot them.  Your only expenses will be the bait and a bit of time.

This is a good idea.  I will look into it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get a good pellet gun. Some of the .22's are like 1400FPS. You'll knock them right off the roof with one shot. Just keep at it. You'll win.

The pellet gun I have now is about 600FPS and knocks them down in one COM shot.  If they don't die right away they do when my shepherd bites them in half after they land.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
BarB Q skewers used to make little mini pungi stake traps as an area denial tool should get them from certain areas.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Gamo makes a smooth-bore .22 air gun which can also fire #9 shot shells.  These are plenty powerful for close in bird work.  The "shells" are quite expensive but with little work, can be "reloaded".  

I am testing one out now, seems to work well under 20 feet with shot and with pellets, is surprisingly effective.  It is much lighter than my RWS 48 although is a bit harsher.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gamo makes a smooth-bore .22 air gun which can also fire #9 shot shells.  These are plenty powerful for close in bird work.  The "shells" are quite expensive but with little work, can be "reloaded".  

I am testing one out now, seems to work well under 20 feet with shot and with pellets, is surprisingly effective.  It is much lighter than my RWS 48 although is a bit harsher.

Pictures?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
C'mon man! Pigeon Pie! And I'm serious.  They taste like cornish game hens.  Here's a recipe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/pigeonpie_8159.shtml
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Get yourself some Eastern European friends = no more pigeons.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Wait.. wha?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#21]
The French love to eat that kinda stuff,
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#22]
300 bucks gets you this, 400 rd mag, semi, 3 and 6 round bursts with a max of 600rpm

BBs. not airsoft
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Poison the dog food with lye.  When the pigeons are dead.  Stop leaving meals for vermin outside

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So pigeons have always been sort of a bother at my house since I have lived here, they shit all over everything in the porch and eat all of the dog food before the dogs do.  This year, the pigeon population has quadrupled, there are hundreds of these nasty flying rats everywhere.  They can clean a full bowl of dog food out in about 30 minutes, which in turn is taking $$$ from my pocket because I have to get more food for my dog.  I called the city and they told me to either trap them, kill them, poison them or scare them off.  I took someones suggestion and tied a bunch of CD's together and hanging them outside and it didn't bother them one bit.  I don't want to poison them because it will also kill the Dove and Blue Birds, Black Birds, Sparrows etc that don't bother me.

My neighbor has a fake owl that they shit all over.  I have a St Bernard and a shepherd mix and bringing them or their food inside is not an option as they are not house broken.  I picked up a Daisy BB gun that I have all but shot to death killing these things.  It seems that for every one I shoot two more show up.  Today I went outside to feed the dogs and there were no less than 40 of them lining the rooftops watching me.  These things are a real PITA.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  FYI I don't want to hire a pest control company because they charge way too much.  My brother worked for one and they wanted hundreds of $$$ just to come out and look and come up with a plan.

dibs on bbgun

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
300 bucks gets you this, 400 rd mag, semi, 3 and 6 round bursts with a max of 600rpm

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/IZH_Blackbird_1554.jpg

BBs. not airsoft

whats the FPS on that?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.pyramydair.com/images/IZH_Blackbird_1554.jpg

BBs. not airsoft

whats the FPS on that?

500+fps

Gets better if you add the longer barrel
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:54:55 PM EDT
[#27]
feed them rice?

they cant digest it right!?

or it expands in their craw or something right!?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
kill a dozen or so of them.

cut their little heads off.

mount their little heads on little pikes.

place strategically around your property for best effect.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I read in these forums, you stick the bird's head in a dresser drawer. I'm not sure why, or what comes after that. I scored very low in reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Get a terrier. It will hunt them. I have never seen a Wire Fox Terrier that didnt try to kill every bird or varmit that got in it's territory.

Jack Russel

Wire Fox Terrier

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

From what I read in these forums, you stick the bird's head in a dresser drawer. I'm not sure why, or what comes after that. I scored very low in reading comprehension.

HAHA
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Please tell me that you live in a town or city, and thus can't shoot them.

I killed countless pigeons and wore out a BB gun about every 2 years growing up on the farm.

Graduated to a 17 HMR and then back to a 22lr with the volume.  

Every so often I get a little carried away and kill them all.  It takes a few months for a new flock to set up shop.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#34]
String up fishingline in a criss-cross pattern over your porch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Feed the dog and wait till he is thru then dispose of the rest......NO problem!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#36]

I don't know about "city" birds but dove are closely related and are quite tasty....(not my picture stolen from the enternets)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:49:27 PM EDT
[#37]
the British are working on a solution.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Toss a feral cat into your backyard. They love pigeons. Or... a bird of prey, not sure where you would get one.

Or: one of these bird eating spiders!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:52:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The French love to eat that kinda stuff,

Yeah but at what cost?
How do you know a Frenchmen has been in your backyard?       Your garbage can is empty and your dog is pregnant.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Motion Activated Sprinkler:

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electronics-CRO101-Scarecrow-Motion-Activated/dp/B000071NUS

It works, youtube the videos.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:06:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Fuck it... get a pigeon hawk, beat them at their own game.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:45:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
kill a dozen or so of them.

cut their little heads off.

mount their little heads on little pikes.

place strategically around your property for best effect.

lol
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:46:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Please tell me that you live in a town or city, and thus can't shoot them.

I killed countless pigeons and wore out a BB gun about every 2 years growing up on the farm.

Graduated to a 17 HMR and then back to a 22lr with the volume.  

Every so often I get a little carried away and kill them all.  It takes a few months for a new flock to set up shop.

I am in the city but I still shoot them.  The thing is I shoot one and the rest fly off so I would have to sit there for a while and wait until they come back and shoot another and have the rest fly off.  I have dedicated weekends to this and it hasnt made a dent.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:50:53 AM EDT
[#45]
1) Buy a repeating pigeon trap from Cabela's.

2) Find your local NAVHDA chapter, local gun dog trainer, or trap club.

3) Put up sign "Pigeons $1 /ea."

4) Profit.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:02:41 AM EDT
[#46]
You can go with something with a trigger and barrel,

or just setup traps and venom and electrical wire,

but pidgeons are smart. You can catch some at first, but their fellow flying rats will learn.

Only thing they can't learn is to avoid bullets.

So, here's your choices:

-Cheap .22LR rifle, Aguila Super Colibri rounds. So quiet they won't even scare the pidgeon next to your target.

they're THAT quiet.

-Drozd Co2 BB Machine gun. Videos speak for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQy1WZJY6pQ&fmt=18

-ARFCOM gettogheter. your house will catch fire, your dogs will end up shot but hey', it'll be fun!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#47]

+

+

=

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:07:18 AM EDT
[#48]
A Guy I know had a problem with them too. He said he set out a bunch of rat traps with peanut butter and bird seed on them. He put them on the edge of the roof. He said it worked. Popped some of the birds heads right off according to him. I haven't tried it out Myself so I can't confirm it. You could could kill a few while You are at work.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:07:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Dude, are you my troll account??

Srsly, I feel your pain.

You need at least 1000 FPS.

Winchester 1000X is what I got, it did the trick for me.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top