Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 9:23:24 AM EDT
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/1373227832.html

OK, let me start off by saying this Montego Blue RX-7 is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it were possible for a vehicle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this Mazda would look like Vin Diesel. It is just that manly.

This third generation RX-7 was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you have your eye on. It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things. No, that is what your Prius is for. If that is the kind of car you are looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This car was engineered by 3rd degree ninja super-warriors in the highest mountains of Japan to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy-boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or OnStar (real men don't even know what the hell OnStar is). Your amenities are POWER. Power windows, power steering, power locks, twin turbo power under the hood. The sunroof, original alloy rims, custom wood trim and spoiler are just icing on a delicious cake.

No, this sexy brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has a 255 HP rotary engine to outrun the cops. It has special blood / gore resistant tan leather upholstery. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you are operating on yourself.

With minor modifications this beauty can easily pump up HP to 300 and with less than 2800# weight it is blazing fast. Scary fast if not for the crisp handling and suspension. This RX-7 has a manual transmission so you can shift into first gear, slam on the 4-wheel disc brakes and spin around the corner while the terrorists fall off the cliff. The brand new Bridgestone tires will keep you on the road. It has saved my bacon more than once.

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $14,000, but I will entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $5,000 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There are less than 110,000 miles on this four-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo. It has been meticulously maintained by the men in lab coats, garaged deep underground in a secret cave. It only has 20,000 miles on the new Mazda factory engine to replace the one that got shot out by The Man. It has never been wrecked because I'm a better driver than the bad guys.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it is a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho James Bond stunt double, then click the email above or call
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#1]
nice car for 15 years ago....The RX7...the SupraTT... The 300zx TT..were all my favorites back then...but top sports cars nowadays make nearly twice as much HP as that Mazda did....funny ad tho
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Those are fantastic cars.  I had a buddy who owned one the same year, hell even the same color.  Those motors have about 300 vacuum lines (no exaggeration) and are pretty much a nightmare to diagnose/work on.  If it was one generation newer, and everything was electronically controlled it would be damn near perfect.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful design work on that model - too bad they didn't last.  I wish someone at Mazda would grow a set and put a turbo on the RX-8.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Beautiful design work on that model - too bad they didn't last.  I wish someone at Mazda would grow a set and put a turbo on the RX-8.

No shit, those rotaries respond wonderfully to turbocharging.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I do want one of those.

Lots of car for the money, even when new.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those are fantastic cars.  I had a buddy who owned one the same year, hell even the same color.  Those motors have about 300 vacuum lines (no exaggeration) and are pretty much a nightmare to diagnose/work on.  If it was one generation newer, and everything was electronically controlled it would be damn near perfect.

They are rediculously sensitive to bad gas too. Most RX7 owners I know never go below half a tank, as if they get bad gas it will at least be diluted by the hopefully good gas remaining in the tank.

They had a gas station just outside Seabring get a bad shipment once just before an RX-7 track meet. Blew up a lot of cars and it took everyone a while to figure out what the common cause was: They had all stopped at the same place to fuel up on their way in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#7]
My first two cars were Rx7's.  I had an '85 then a '88 Turbo.  They are great cars and very well balanced.  The third generation is one of the best looking cars ever produced IMO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My first two cars were Rx7's.  I had an '85 then a '88 Turbo.  They are great cars and very well balanced.  The third generation is one of the best looking cars ever produced IMO.

Agreed. I lusted after them when I was younger, and was kinda disapointed when the RX-8 came out. Oh well, I do love my 350z (soon to get traded in on a 370!)
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#9]
They have way too much time on their hands to type that all out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:44:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like Maddox wrote that....and Maddox is from Salt Lake.  Coincidence? I think not.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep, agreed.
I owned a first gen, it was damn near bullet proof.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I asked him what kind of Whiskey in the kit. I'll let you know if he gets back to me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like the guys from Woot! wrote that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#14]
"ELITE" buyers?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

nice car for 15 years ago....The RX7...the SupraTT... The 300zx TT..were all my favorites back then...but top sports cars nowadays make nearly twice as much HP as that Mazda did....funny ad tho

You're right about that, but horsepower isn't everything.  I anticipated selling my stock 94 Supra TT (320 hp) to buy a 2009 Challenger R/T (376 hp), but when I finally got to really check that car out, I was thoroughly disappointed.  Everything about it just reaked of cheap and it just didn't feel right either.  I could reliably double the horsepower on the Supra with basic bolt ons so HP doesn't really mean that much to me, but quality construction and rock solid motors do.  

I decided to keep mine until the wheels fall off and that doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon.  It's also still damn rare and gets lots of attention even after 15 years.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:55:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a '95 RX-7 R2 is Montego Blue Mica when I was 21. It was a super fast car and handled like a dream. I outran Vettes, Vipers and 911s in that car and had it up to 170 on the highway one time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Rotarys are cool motors. its just a shame that they are so finicky and unreliable. 3rd gen RX7's are pretty damn sexy imo..cool interior. A friend of a friend was in town awhile ago with an LS1 powered 3rd gen RX7..talk about asshole clenching.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#18]
And a Mazda goes mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Awesome cars.  I borrowed one with aftermarket turbos and intercoolers.  I took a 150 mile trip on the freeway and took every off ramp so I could blast down every on ramp.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No shit, those rotaries respond wonderfully to turbocharging.

Sure for like 10k miles. I knew two different guys on their 5th engine with turbo RX-7s.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Overpriced by about 7K easily.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#22]
"Real men don't get lost" ...I'm gonna use that, thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right about that, but horsepower isn't everything.  I anticipated selling my stock 94 Supra TT (320 hp) to buy a 2009 Challenger R/T (376 hp), but when I finally got to really check that car out, I was thoroughly disappointed.  Everything about it just reaked of cheap and it just didn't feel right either.  I could reliably double the horsepower on the Supra with basic bolt ons so HP doesn't really mean that much to me, but quality construction and rock solid motors do.  

I decided to keep mine until the wheels fall off and that doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon.  It's also still damn rare and gets lots of attention even after 15 years.

I have a twin turbo 300zx in the garage right now that I'm still pretty fond of but it has a few mods on it to help keep up...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:38:19 PM EDT
[#24]
LOL - This is the exchange between me and the seller:

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
ME: What kind of whiskey is in the first aid kit?"

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
Seller: Only real men drink Jim Bean! If that's your flavor, let's talk  business.

ME:  I'm sorry, I thought this was a manly car.

I expected home made whiskey with an alcohol content somewhere between "Holy Fuck" and "My God, it's full of stars."

Good luck selling it. Maybe there is a local boys choir with a eunuch that would like it.

;o)

Seller:  Looks like I'm dealing with an unprofessional child. Your response wouldn't look too good for your web business. Try living in the real world and not through the web. It's all advertisement.

ME: Lighten up, Francis.

Seller: You're right! You have a cool site.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top