BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2009 6:55:56 AM EDT
Home invasion triggers shootout
By FRANK FERNANDEZ and LYDA LONGA
Staff Writer

ORMOND BEACH –– Two men, each armed with a pistol and one also carrying a rifle, burst into a duplex on the beachside Sunday morning and robbed a man inside.

But they didn't get far –– the 34-year-old resident grabbed his shotgun and fired at the two suspects, injuring both of them, police said.

Dana Rollins told officers he was sleeping about 9:30 a.m. when the two men came into his duplex at 4 Cypress Circle and demanded cash. The intruders –– identified as 31-year-old William Bell of Daytona Beach and 38-year-old Christopher Young of New Smyrna Beach –– were chased down by Rollins, who grabbed his 12-gauge shotgun and fired at the suspects as they bolted, police said.

"Initially, it looks like he (Rollins) was defending himself," said Ormond Beach police Sgt. Kenny Hayes. "It looks like he won't be charged."

Under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, homeowners can use deadly force for self-protection. In addition, a new court ruling says people can shoot even if an attacker is retreating.

The men fired back at Rollins, but he was not hurt, police said. The suspects were arrested later in the day, but both were taken to Halifax Health Medical Center because of injuries suffered in the shootout. One of the men was arrested by Ormond Beach police; the other was captured by Daytona Beach officers, Hayes said.

One of the suspects –– it's not clear which one –– ran about a block away and was captured at Milton Pepper Park by an Ormond Beach officer responding to multiple 9-1-1 calls about the gunfire. The other suspect drove off in a dark Nissan and was captured by Daytona Beach police in the 800 block of North Atlantic Avenue.

Bell and Young both suffered multiple small-caliber wounds consistent with buckshot, Hayes said.

A third suspect, a woman identified as Brandy Lee Harris, 28, who also lives on Cypress Circle, was also arrested because police said she had a hand in the incident.

"They (detectives) are saying she was involved in this," Hayes said Sunday night.

Harris' parents said she knows Rollins because she had dated him in the past.

"She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Harris' father Kip Harris.

Kip Harris said his daughter –– who was grazed by a bullet in the melee –– told him that Rollins had picked her up early Sunday at a nearby 7-Eleven store on S.R. A1A and given her a ride.

All three suspects were charged with home invasion robbery, Hayes said.

Early Sunday evening, Rollins arrived at the Cypress Circle property with a friend. The men carried beers and juice. Rollins said he had gone through a rough morning. "I need some space," he said.

Hayes said the neighborhood was considered quiet.

"We don't have a lot of crime here and certainly not shootouts," Hayes said. "We'll be looking at all the angles in this case."

Early Sunday afternoon, a police technician used a metal detector to scan the scruffy lawn on Rollins' green house as other officers walked in and out of the residence.

Two neighbors nearby, who declined to give their names, said they were awakened by gunshots and a man screaming.

"I heard three bangs and then 'You don't want me. You don't want me' and two more shots," one neighbor said.  

By the time they looked out the window they said the shooting had stopped but other residents were running to the scene.

Rollins lives in the house, which has been turned into a duplex. His mother, Ruth, resides in the other unit, according to Mary Pierce, who lives about a block away and said she graduated from Mainland High School the same year as Ruth. Pierce said Ruth Rollins is 60 years old and has health problems.

The house is owned by Dorothy M. Rollins, according to the county's Property Appraiser's Web site.

Other neighbors said Rollins has worked as a tractor-trailer detailer and hot tub salesman.

Rollins and his mother are good neighbors, said Rhonda Browning, who lives nearby and at one time lived directly across the street. She said that when she worked at night Rollins would keep an eye on her house.

"They are very good people. I just thank God his mamma didn't get hurt," Browning said.

The suspects were scheduled to be booked into the Volusia County Branch Jail, police said.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 6:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
"I heard three bangs and then 'You don't want me. You don't want me' and two more shots," one neighbor said."

Quote of the Day

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Get off of my lawn.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#3]
"They (detectives) are saying she was involved in this," Hayes said Sunday night.

Harris' parents said she knows Rollins because she had dated him in the past.

"She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Harris' father Kip Harris.

No shootout story is complete without a "my baby didn't do nothing" comment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:04:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#5]
By the time they looked out the window they said the shooting had stopped but other residents were running to the scene.

I like this part..."let's run toward the random gunfire without any idea of what is going on."

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]
This should be everywhere....... "In addition, a new court ruling says people can shoot even if an attacker is retreating.
"

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#7]
heartwarming story.  Can't believe the reporter was on his game enough to even mention the buckshot. A-  

Needed to know more about the handguns and rifle to get an A+.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I like this part..."let's run toward the random gunfire without any idea of what is going on."

arfcommers
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:16:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I re-read that twice and still do not know stf to think about it.  He picked up the girl sometimes "early" on Sunday, He came home with a "friend" (code name for unknown girl?)  She ended up getting grazed and arrested.  hum, is he missing a kidney as well?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:22:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Last time I took a shot at someone 2 neighbors came out of their houses saying "Officer I think I just heard gunshots"

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Good. I'm glad he didn't use a shitty shotty.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#12]
sweet, in FL you can shot a retreating criminal! i wonder in ohio if our castle doctrine law allows that also

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Just seeing if they could get a shot in too after all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Dana Rollins told officers he was sleeping about 9:30 a.m.

9:30 AM? GTF out of bed you bumb  

good shoot anyway
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Just goes to show that the Shotgun can be used effectively in self defense if it's the only tool available, and can defeat superior armed foes if they are undisciplined or untrained.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#16]
That is a poorly written article.  It was bouncing around all over the place and was far too vague.

The shoot though, that was great!  The perps would have been better off dead.  I am betting that the buckshot was actually birdshot.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just goes to show that the Shotgun can be used effectively in self defense if it's the only tool available, and can defeat superior armed foes if they are undisciplined or untrained.

Rifle and handgun does not mean superior armed.  The handgun could have been a single shot derringer, and the rifle could be a bolt action .22

Shotgun = stopping power with the correct load.  I would not consider it inferior, I would just consider it a shorter range tool, which in this case is a moot point.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Under Florida's Stand Your Ground law, homeowners can use deadly force for self-protection. In addition, a new court ruling says people can shoot even if an attacker is retreating.

Anybody got a link/cite for this ruling?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

good shoot anyway

Yeah but at least he was in his bedroom near his shotgun.  What if he was in his kitchen and wasn't carrying?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:52:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rifle and handgun does not mean superior armed.  The handgun could have been a single shot derringer, and the rifle could be a bolt action .22

Shotgun = stopping power with the correct load.  I would not consider it inferior, I would just consider it a shorter range tool, which in this case is a moot point.

Shorter raged and not armor piercing, homeowner was lucky that this was a spur of the moment thing by his attackers and they were poor, therefore he didn't have to face kevlar.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

ARFCOM commandos in training?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:54:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Ah, shotgun wins again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:55:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
sweet, in FL you can shot a retreating criminal! i wonder in ohio if our castle doctrine law allows that also

Yes we can shoot them in the buttocks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

shotgun always wins.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:58:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shotgun always wins.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:00:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:02:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shotgun always wins.  

Not against the sniper it does't.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#31]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:
Shorter raged and not armor piercing, homeowner was lucky that this was a spur of the moment thing by his attackers and they were poor, therefore he didn't have to face kevlar.

Sorry, but I humbly disagree.  While you might run in to a kevlar clad thug, castle doctrine will not protect you when you kill your neighbor's kid with over penetration.  Even with castle doctrine, you are responsible for every bullet - even after it passes through the bad guy's body.

Also, hard to figure out how 5 shots with buckshot did not cause a single intensive care, not less a fatality.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:07:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shotgun always wins.  

Not against the sniper it does't.

it does if the sniper is 15 feet away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry but I'm a shotgun fan. Just always have been.

Good story on the shooting, at least they didn't demonize the resident.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:10:42 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

good shoot anyway

"Two men, each armed with a
pistol and one also carrying a rifle, burst into a duplex on the
beachside Sunday morning and robbed a man inside."
"Rollins, who had just finished his shift as a emergency trauma surgeon at an area hospital, was amazed when criticized by a Monday morning quarterback on a prominent web forum."

When asked why they didn't run when he made "the racking sound" with the shotgun, replied "I had always been told that they would, that's why I didn't grab my 1911. But luckily I had loaded it with 7+1 00 buck. And to think! I had just seen a review where birdshot was just as good as buckshot, but after extensive testing by O_P I knew I had better drop that crap and get some real stopping power!"
Rollins is also quoted as saying, "Better to be tried by 12 than carried by six." and ".45>9mm"

ETA: OST

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#36]

I would like to know the range at which the scumbags were shot.

I would like to know if the homeowner's shotgun had a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:14:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Quoted:

Sorry, but I humbly disagree.  While you might run in to a kevlar clad thug, castle doctrine will not protect you when you kill your neighbor's kid with over penetration.  Even with castle doctrine, you are responsible for every bullet - even after it passes through the bad guy's body.

Also, hard to figure out how 5 shots with buckshot did not cause a single intensive care, not less a fatality.

Because despite what most gunshow commandos think you actually have to aim a shotgun and not just point in the general direction

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

shotgun always wins.  

just messing around.    Although buckshot is a bitch

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:15:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not armor piercing? my 12 gauge is...1" long 300 grain BT going 2000 FPS..Probably not alot of armor out there thats going to stop that.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh?

I think the above is a sideways dig at Shotguns and their usefulness.

12g at close range is a monster
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck that, shoot them in the back.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Using a shotgun, get both.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have a link for you, but the ruling just came out a few weeks ago.

ETA:
News thing about it... Can find the actual ruling quickly though.
http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2009/08/22/florida-law-allows-self-defense-against-retreating-criminals/

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:31:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My baby dint do nuffin.

Fucking hell that is getting really annoying to read in every news article of a piece of shit being shot for doing piece of shit-like activities.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hard part would be determining which ones are retreating and which ones are running to a better position while still slinging lead at you. I think it's a good ruling.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hard part would be determining which ones are retreating and which ones are running to a better position while still slinging lead at you. I think it's a good ruling.

I agree...
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
News thing about it... Can find the actual ruling quickly though.
http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2009/08/22/florida-law-allows-self-defense-against-retreating-criminals/

Thanks!  That's a big help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 8:57:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The handgun was a semi-automatic revolver in 45mm and the rifle was a high-powered .50 caliber sniper assault weapon.

Always.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#49]
I have got to rent Grand Torino
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people's buttocks is in back.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top