Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2002 12:56:45 PM EDT
I need to find a good all around digital camera. It needs to be easy to use so my wife can use it. I'm looking to spend about $400.

Thanks,
Clinth
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#1]
SONY MAVICA_88 . $350.00 Have 2 buddies that have one and they are great. I would like to get one myself but why? I have 2 buddys that have one![:D]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was looking for my digicam about a year ago, the two things I looked for were glass lenses, and optical zoom.  Getting both of those on a camera with 2 megapixels is probably better than getting one without and 3 megapixels.  Most cameras now have glass, but be aware that some don't.
Also, what kind of media does the camera you want have?  that may be another consideration.  Getting more cards/disks/sticks/etc. might be an issue, so price an expansion memory module at the same time so you know how much that will be.  Keep in mind though, how many shots you will take.  I have 32mb card for my 1.3mp camera, and I've filled it twice in one year, usually nowhere near that amount.  A 3mp camera would benefit from a 64mb module, maybe even 128 depending on the number of pics you want to take.  
Last, if you are looking for some special features like recording short movie clips, etc, that can limit your searches as well.  Also check the ease of use of the camera yourself, don't trust others...find a working model you can play with for a few minutes and see how you like it.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
good advice from SFOO.

things to look for:  
An OPTICAL zoom is way better than a digital zoom.
Memory expansion.
Download options. (USB, Firewire, FDD, Serial...)
Batteries..some cameras are battery pigs!

I chose a sony about 2 years ago...
"OK" optical zoom, Expandable media, RECHARGEABLE BATTERY (Big buying point!) and USB download.  I am quite happy, I have taken thousands of pictures with it, my 35mm SLR is just collecting dust!  [:)]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought an Olympus C-3040Z back in December. It has optical zoom as well as digital (digital isn't reallY "zoom" per se). This camera has great low light capabilities, for times when you don't really want to use a flash. 3.3M pixels and uses the cheap Smart Media cards. Has rechargeable batteries. Only thing is it's over your stated budget since it costs around $650.
Take your time - look at lots of them before you buy.
I'm extremely happy with mine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
osprey - your link requires a password.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Clinth,

I had a Sony Mavica with the floppy drive.  It worked great and never let me down.  However, the Sony was too large!  I like to carry my camera with me but the Sony was too bulky.

I sold my Sony to a buddy and bought a Canon S110.  I am very happy with the Canon.  It is small and very easy to hide from theives.  I took it to Vegas in December.  I took almost 100 high resolution picture and still had plenty of room on the 128MB flash!  I even took two 30 second movie clips and still had plenty of room.  

Best part: 2.1M pixels, small size, stainless steel case, 2X optical zoom, 3X digital zoom, 30 second movie clips with sound, aftermarket batteries avaliable with extended life.  

Worst part: Zoom could be more, factory battery life short.

You can buy one for about $400.  There are places on the web where you can pick one up for about $325 but be careful.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This topic came up back before Christmas, when I was also looking for a good digital camera.  The Cannon S30 came highly recommended.  I checked it out and ended up purchasing that camera, and couldn't be happier.  It's a 3MP camera and the picture resolution is outstanding. I will pass along the recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#10]
You absolutely CAN NOT go wrong with NIKON.  I use them on a daily basis and they've got features and quality like nobody's business.  That said, look for the following features on ANY digital camera you might buy:
1.  Some form of optical zoom.  Many use digital zooms, which merely enlarge the captured picture before you see it. Optical zooms actually INCREASE the quality of the picture rather than degrade it.
2.  Decent memory cards.  I recommend USB-compatible compact flash or the equivalent.  Sony makes good memory, but shy away from the dead Smart Media memory.  Get a big card (128mg) do you can really take pictures when you're out on the go.
3.  Make sure it's got a decent flash.  Many come with puny flashes that won't give you a decent picture from more than 5 feet away.
4.  Look for a good display.  The advantage of a digital camera is being able to look at the picture immediately.
5.  MEGAPIXELS.  Start with something around 3.4 megapixels or more.  This is the pixel measurement of the captured image (height x width in pixels).  Newer cameras are over 5 megapixels, which produce nice 4x6 images (and some 8x10 images).

Good luck and shop around for a good price, as you can save $50 with a few phone calls.  Mail order will usually save you $$$.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:06:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Before you commit to buying anything,check out the Kodak DC5000.Optical and digital zoom,ac adaptor,cables for the tv,and puter.Self timer,macro,infinity ect,ect ect!
Color,b&w,sepia pics.
LCD screen.
Plus its weatherproof!!!
Under $300.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:20:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I just bought an mp3 player from www.pricegrabber.com.  They have great comparison listings for prices and models.   I assume they have the same for digital cameras.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:41:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Kind of reminds me of that old saying: "Opinions are like Hemorrhoids, ..."

Anyway, for what it's worth, here is mine:

Olympus C-2040.

Price around $400 (depending on where you get it).  Consumer Reports best pick.  Wonderful color saturation (some higher pixel count cameras have finer resolution and lousy color saturation and rendition).  Small size.  Easy point-and-shoot mode, or go fully manual to make the most of your experience.

Love mine, been using it for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Barbie Cam!
$20 on ebay.

It somes with cool software so you can hang out with the Barbie gang on the beach or at the mall.

If the pink exterior of the Barbie Cam is too feminine, you can get a "cool" black and silver "New Kids On The Block" model.

Now you have a way cool digital camera and $480 to put towards another gun.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
bought an olympus 2100 UZ   (UZ = ultra zoom)

great camera

has a 10x optical zoom and a great lense. At 10x the thing uses image stabilization so that you can take decent pics at full zoom without a tripod.

Can do full manual control if you're into photography but also has a good idot mode.

Best of all, the nickname for the camera on the web discussion boards covering digital cameras is the UZI.

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Clinth,
I sold my Sony to a buddy and bought a Canon S110.  I am very happy with the Canon.  It is small and very easy to hide from theives.  I took it to Vegas in December.  I took almost 100 high resolution picture and still had plenty of room on the 128MB flash!  I even took two 30 second movie clips and still had plenty of room.  
Best part: 2.1M pixels, small size, stainless steel case, 2X optical zoom, 3X digital zoom, 30 second movie clips with sound, aftermarket batteries avaliable with extended life.  

Worst part: Zoom could be more, factory battery life short.

You can buy one for about $400.  There are places on the web where you can pick one up for about $325 but be careful.
View Quote

I'm going to second the Canon S110. The most important factor is size. If you have a camera you have to lug around, chances are you won't. Kind of like having a .44 AutoMag for your concealed pistol.

I can put my Canon into a pocket and have it handy at all times. I shot 125 pictures (with flash) one night before the battery gave out. Large CompactFlash cards are getting ridiculously cheap. Point and shoot... and shoot... and shoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top