Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2002 10:16:16 AM EDT
Let me exspand on this a little. I was talking to a guy and telling him about my past problem with a Marine requiters and how the guy only wanted to give me a job as a cook. The guy I was talking to is trying to tell me that I wanted to change the Marines. Because I wanted a job that I was qualified for and I should think of the Marines need's not my own when I try and join.

[url]http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=78919038&f=69719858&m=4171916393&r=6691942493#6691942493[/url]

I just like to know if you think I'm wrong in this. Just so eveyone knows I have nothing agent Marines at all this guy just started pissing me off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Why doncha just go in and what ever you do, [b]be the best at it they ever seen![/b]

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Would you give up 4 years of your life doing a job that would make you unhappy and not help you get the job you want for a name? That would do nothing for you.
View Quote

I just gave up 30seconds of my life reading a post that made absolutely no sense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you give up 4 years of your life doing a job that would make you unhappy and not help you get the job you want for a name? That would do nothing for you.
View Quote

I just gave up 30seconds of my life reading a post that made absolutely no sense.
View Quote

ROFLMAO!!!  [beer]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about that. This is a little clearer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's a little clearer? Focus....be the ball.....simple, concise thoughts are your friend. Now what's the question?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe cooking is your destiny...
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe cooking is your destiny...
View Quote

Like hell it is!If it is my destiny I won't be doing it in the military. But do you guys think I'm wrong?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are asking would I give up 4 years of my life to go into the Marines knowing that I was only gonna be a cook then the answer is no.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

What's a little clearer? Focus....be the ball.....simple, concise thoughts are your friend. Now what's the question?
View Quote

[:D]

Link Posted: 2/7/2002 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Doesnt matter what you do!  Youre YOUNG, and if you do a hell of a good job always....then you will be recognized as a man who can be counted on...and there is no greater feeling!
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#11]
the marines can use cooks too. but if that's not what you want to do, then maybe someone else can offer what you do want. good hunting.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Just what job are you asking for?  Cook and grunt are probably the two most common jobs in the Corps.  I cant believe you couldnt get to be a ground pounder.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think you have the nutsac to be a cook in the marines.  You sound like a confused young man, quit your job and live on welfare. That will clear your head.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 11:49:13 AM EDT
[#14]
"Would you give up 4 years"

It might sound to you like you're giving up 4 years, but later on in life, you'll not refer to it as having given up 4 years, you'll be thinking, "those were the best four years of my life"
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
"Ask NOT what your country can do for you..."

It is hard to fight a war on an empty stomach.  Cooks are a valuable asset to any fighting force.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just what job are you asking for?  Cook and grunt are probably the two most common jobs in the Corps.  I cant believe you couldnt get to be a ground pounder.
View Quote

He said it was closed out completely and no one in the U.S. could get in it. I was like [shock]but he also told me he was going to place me in any combat roles because I was married.[rolleyes]

What I wanted to go in to was doing small arms repair or any of the like field's. He told me that it was going to be not until November of 2001 that he could get me a guaranteed on that job.

I think I pissed him off because I made him throw away my contract from MAVES that signed before I looked at the other contracts he had made out for me. Cook was one of them and then the other was an open contract and I refused to sign earthier one. So he got pissed because the one I did sign was in the garbage in a million all shredded up.[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
He told me that it was going to be not until November of 2001 that he could get me a guaranteed on that job.
View Quote

Now read that carefully brother, and then go look at the calender.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Tayous1, if you want to go into the Marines and your current recruiter is a jerk, try calling some Marine recruiters in other towns and see what they can do for you.  If you want to go into the service for the training, then check out the other branches and see if you can get a guaranteed job that you will like.  Life is to short to waste four years on a job your going to hate if you can avoid it.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Take some college courses and then go back and tell him you want to be an officer. You sound like you would make perfect butter bar material.(lieutenant to those non jarheads)  LOL

Some of my best times were in the corp, but not as a cook.
Good luck brother follow your heart.

[marines]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He told me that it was going to be not until November of 2001 that he could get me a guaranteed on that job.
View Quote

Now read that carefully brother, and then go look at the calender.
View Quote

I know he never gave me a call back. He also told me for about three months that they had openings if signed I could go open and get it in boot camp. Like I was going to do that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Still don't know what you're asking, but a Marine cook is a great position.  And remember a Marine is first a grunt and then a cook.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#22]
you're the one who has to do the time.  do something that interests you, not the usmc, otherwise it will suck to no end for the time you're in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I joined the Marines to be an MP.. I get to bootcamp and in second phase they tell me.. "No more MP's, too many, there idiling the school.." "We'll son, can't meet your contract." "Wanna go home?"

I look at em and then think about the F*upped haircut I got and think everyone thought I couldn't hack it. So I say "Naa, I'll chose another job..."

I'm in SOI and they start handing out MOS's. 10 guys get to go be MP's I just about crapped my pants.. They call off my name and the MOS "3451" I'm like, "what the hell is a 3451.. Turns out they made me an accountant!!!!

A FRIGGING ACOUNTANT!!  I almost cried.. and sulked away when a Capt. approached and asked

"Whats wrong Marine, didn't get the job you wanted.."

I told him no, but I didn't care,, I still get to be a Marine...
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Cooks in the Corps are even more screwed than navy cooks. Work like dogs, all day every other day, for years.
Take anything at all over that.
Go to another office, and get a contract with any other MOS at all on it.

In particular, ask to be a 2111 (not 21 field, you want 2111 in writing spelled out)
Keep calling stations father away, someone will give you that MOS to make basic quota.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#25]
In fact, if you really want to be a Marine, take your ASVAB or pre ASVAB or whatever number you have and start calling tomorrow.
Call stations in an ever widening circle, don't be afraid to call hours away.
Tell the guy your number, and ask for 2111 in writing. Offer to ship anytime in the next 3 months.
Don't bother telling him about the other guy, or about the cook thing, and keep trying.
Someone will take you up on it if your ASVAB is high enough to qual, or if you could bring it up.
Take a friend on the day you sign up, tell friend his two jobs are to not talk to anyone but you, and to not allow you to sign a contract unless it says "2111" on it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Please clarify two things for me:

1. Why do you want to join the military?

2. What job do you want?

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"Would you give up 4 years"

It might sound to you like you're giving up 4 years, but later on in life, you'll not refer to it as having given up 4 years, you'll be thinking, "those were the best four years of my life"
View Quote

Well said... The marine Corps was by far the greatest influence in my adult life.

Quoted:
"and then the other was an open contract and I refused to sign"
View Quote

I signed on an open contract because I wanted to be a Marine first and foremost, the job I got really didn't matter to me.  No flame intended, but, if that's not how you feel, then the Marine Corps probably isn't for you.  

Ask any active or former Marine, and they'll tell you that "mission accomplishment" comes first and "troop welfare" is secondary in the Corps.  I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I experienced this while in the Marines.  It is not a comfortable life for sure, but you understand that coming in.

Like the recruiting poster said "We didn't promise you a rose garden".  If you want to be a Marine, then go do it.  Wait awhile, maybe a MOS you like will open up.  Just remember, You will always be a Marine first.

Tayous, There is no flame intended here, just make sure that your heart is in it all the way, because that's what will get you through Parris Island.

Good Luck and Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:00:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Go to a different recruiter, and him that you want to be an 0311.

If he says no, go to another.
If they want to, they can make you a grunt.
Right now, he probably just has some cook slots that need filling, and figures you'll do.

If you hold out, you'll get what you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top