Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2009 2:11:33 PM EDT
Can you heat treat Aluminum to harden it with mepp gas and oil (or water) like steel?
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe so. Why do you want to harden it? There are plating methods that can increase wear resistance. And of course different alloys that are more durable
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Short answer - No.

Aluminum does not behave like ferrous metals.

Heat treatment of aluminum is a complex subject.

See this for an overview.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
No. Its not the same.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm pretty sure aluminum will just melt, not harden.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope, it doesn't react like steel, it takes a different process.

http://www.keytometals.com/Article7.htm

And that only works with the right alloys.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You can anodize aluminum, which is similar to case hardening it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info and the links
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Anodize & Hard coat anodize will make it harder similar to case hardening. There are also Teflon-like coating that will help with wear.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
You don't want to introduce carbon to Al, especially via any attempts with oil or other petroleum distillates.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#10]
What they said, and in before Keith_J
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What they said, and in before Keith_J

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Anodizing is at best still just a passivization process, it will not produce results anything like case hardening steel.

Parkerising or Bluing steel is more what Anodizing is.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#13]
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum?  I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds.  I wonder how a veneer of thousands of layers of aluminum (microns thick) and aluminum oxide would do for bullet resistance.  The oxide is harder than ceramic (like used in ballistic plates) but the amuminum would provide strength.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Can you heat treat Aluminum to harden it with mepp gas and oil (or water) like steel?

AL can be heat treated...
The various tempers (T-numbers) are  heat-treated AL (T stands for Thermal)....
For example, '0' metal is untreated (you can bend/shape it with your bare hands), T-6 is very hard (and brittle - pain in the ass to bend)...
At my old unit in Korea, we had an oven for heat-treating AL aircraft parts...
THAT SAID...
AL is not *easily* heat-treated with 'home' materials....
The whole 'gas torch and dunk in oil' thing is more likely than not to fail... AL is also flammable, esp in dust form....
It's not steel... Nowhere near as 'easy'.....

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes. Aluminum can be aged hardened at a given temperature in an "Auto Clave"(Vaccume). It's not anything like hardening steel but it can be hardened for strength. Many aircraft parts go through this proccess. I believe it is only for thinner parts. TT

Hah. Dave_A beat me to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yes. Aluminum can be aged hardened at a given temperature in an "Auto Clave"(Vaccume). It's not anything like hardening steel but it can be hardened for strength. Many aircraft parts go through this proccess. I believe it is only for thinner parts. TT

It's for thin, complex-shaped parts that cannot be made from the 'right' temper of aluminum alloy without cracking issues...

So, to prevent cracking, you make the part from 'O metal' (Annealed AL) and you then harden it to the right temper...

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum?  I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds,.

We would spec it at .002 +/- .0005.  We used it in three piece dies that formed graphite seals and graphite is pretty abrasive.  Hardcoat held up very well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#18]
The short version is something like Aerospace aluminum can be hardened. But for most aluminums available to the average joe , you will do nothing but make it porous or brittle.

BTW, whats up with all these guys screwing with exotic metals latelty on here?
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#19]
For those interested, here's a chart on the different ways of tempering AL:

Most of the aircraft parts I worked with used 'T3'... Some T6, but you hated that stuff if you had to bend it (it cracks very easily when bent).....

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The short version is something like Aerospace aluminum can be hardened. But for most aluminums available to the average joe , you will do nothing but make it porous or brittle.

BTW, whats up with all these guys screwing with exotic metals latelty on here?

Don't know, maybe some are dabbling with their own, personal version of 'Wil-E-Coyote's Acme Gun Works'... Maybe we have a few into experimental aviation...

Me? I was an airframe mechanic for Uncle Sam... Aluminum... Yeah, we had some of that...

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:11:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure aluminum will just melt, not harden.

Try 'oxidize'...

With the right amount of heat, it will oxidize rather violently...

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum?  I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds,.

We would spec it at .002 +/- .0005.  We used it in three piece dies that formed graphite seals and graphite is pretty abrasive.  Hardcoat held up very well.

Hardcoat on AL. is the heaviest of the AL. Anodizing. Most anodizing on AL. is only a few tenths of a thousants. The Hardcoat is more.  TT

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

How thick can the anodization layer be made with aluminum?  I was just thinking - if you could make the layer thick enough and then have multiple layers that might have some interesting properties. Aluminum oxide is 9 on the hardness scale - just one step below diamonds.  I wonder how a veneer of thousands of layers of aluminum (microns thick) and aluminum oxide would do for bullet resistance.  The oxide is harder than ceramic (like used in ballistic plates) but the amuminum would provide strength.

AlOx -> Hard, but brittle as hell...

All 'pure' aluminum develops a layer of it naturally, which prevents further oxidation/corrosion. This is why aircraft aluminum alloys are usually 'Alclad' (plated with 'pure' non-alloyed aluminum, for corrosion resistance)...

Anodizing is more a plating process than a 'case hardening' process... So that's not going to really help much...

Basicly, unless you have the right (ridiculously expensive & power hungry) equipment, you need to acquire your AL in the right alloy & temper, and then make it into what you need it to be from there...

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Anodizing is at best still just a passivization process, it will not produce results anything like case hardening steel.

Not hard anodizing.  

Bluing simply alters the surface to help protect from rust.

The surface layer created by hard anodizing is harder than steel, and very durable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

The surface layer created by hard anodizing is harder than steel, and very durable.

Sure, but it's no Case hardening.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:35:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Anodize is primarily for sealing the surface of AL. to delay or prevent oxidation.   TT
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not hard anodizing.  

Bluing simply alters the surface to help protect from rust.

However, it does not actually add metallurgical strength to the metal...

Any more than the black-oxide plating on a knife blade 'strengthens' the steel...

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top