Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 8:15:40 PM EDT
I was reloading the other evening and a most interesting thing happened. I was useing a new set of Dies(switched to carbide), useing once fired 45 acp Mag Tech(I know it was once fired because I fired it), a moderate load of Unique and a 230 grain Speer Gold Dot seated at 1.2".
I seated the bullet in the first round and there was a very pronounced ring(almost a ridge) at the base of the bullet(I crimp in a seperate step, so cartrige is uncrimped) try another, same result. Ok so now I reset Dies next 2 rounds same result. OK now set all prepped brass off to side and prep 2 cases this time resizing with case lube the problem was somewhat reduced but still there.
Now this is where it gets interesting, I had borrowed a G-21 from a friend to see if I liked them as I am considering a G-21, anyway I tried the rounds in the G-21 to see if they would chamber which they did and slide locked into battery(sp?) so all is well, but I still didn't like the looks of things so I went upstairs to get my 1911 S.A. these rounds wouldn't chamber in the S.A. so I put the loading on hold for the evening. Next morning I take the six loaded rounds and head down to the local commercial reloading and remanufacturing guy(small town everyone knows everyone) to get his opinion on these rounds. His first suggestion was to lube the cases before resizing, told him already tried it. I asked about the Mag Tech brass he said he has used it without problem. He tried the cartridges in his Mid Way Cartridge Guage and they wouldn't go. OK so now I discard the remaing  brass to eliminate the chance of having some from a bad lot, I take the new Dies apart and meticulosley clean them and while I have the decapping assy removed I run the six rounds into the sizing die which took care of the ridge problem (shot them through my S.A.).
OK so now I have eliminated the possible fouled Dies and possible brass from a bad lot. I'm not sure what the problem was but it's gone. I am curious as to why these rounds chambered in the G-21? By no means is this a slam towards Glock but it makes me wonder if sometimes a little loose isn't too loose?
Have a nice evening, Rabon...
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
well i know glock 40's dont have a a fully supported chamber. maybe its the same case with glock 45's?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top