Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 2:01:25 PM EDT
First the story of Utah lifting concealed carry bans, and now this.  What a state.

[b]Bill Would End Gun Payments[/b]

Utah doesn't charge a fee to vote, speak or worship, so the state shouldn't charge a fee to buy a firearm, say advocates for a bill eliminating background check fees that won preliminary approval Tuesday.
   House Bill 183 would do away with the $7.50 charge assessed at the point of all licensed gun sales in Utah.
   The fee covers the cost of reviewing state domestic violence records, a list of outstanding warrants and protective orders and some felony convictions not main- tained as a record on federal databases.
   Those checks would continue, but the cost would be shifted from would-be gun owners to state taxpayers in general.
   "We find on general principle that it is repugnant to ask law abiding citizens to pay a fee to maintain a database for criminals," said Charles Hardy of Gun Owners of Utah.
   "We should not be charging people to prove they are innocent."
   On a straight 7-4 party vote, Republicans on the House Judiciary Standing Committee pushed the bill, sponsored by Rep. Morgan Philpot, R-Sandy, to the House floor.
   "The concern is who will pay for this," said Bureau of Criminal Identification Director Nanette Rolfe.
   "It may take a little longer to complete our other tasks and there is a concern that other programs will have to be minimized."
   But constitutional rights that impose a financial burden -- the expense of putting on an election, for example -- are best borne by society at large, not individual users, Philpot said.
   "Rights should not be taxed," he told the committee.
   "When you stray from that principle and regulate one, you invite regulation and infringement on another."
   The measure has been met with some hesitation due to the cost of administering the mandatory criminal checks without fees....

To see the whole article:

[url]www.sltrib.com/01302002/utah/172034.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I moved here from Springfield, Oregon 22 years ago.  Nice place to live.  We're working on an F from the Brady Bunch!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#3]
This combined with the fact that Utah has ordered Colleges to allow guns on campus...and Utah will soon have an F---[size=4]∞[/size=4]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in Salt Lake City a few months ago, and it was nice to breath the air of freedom for a change.  I drove around quite a bit and never did go into "the bad part of town".  If there is one, I couldn't find it.  Unlike the PRK, I never did feel like I needed a gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I was in Salt Lake City a few months ago, and it was nice to breath the air of freedom for a change.  I drove around quite a bit and never did go into "the bad part of town".  If there is one, I couldn't find it.  Unlike the PRK, I never did feel like I needed a gun.
View Quote

Oh, there is one.  Just maybe not like the kind you are used to.  I have seen some pretty good ghettos in SLC.  It is a pretty decent state to live in though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh, there is one.  Just maybe not like the kind you are used to.  I have seen some pretty good ghettos in SLC.  It is a pretty decent state to live in though.
View Quote

My bro lived in SLC for while.  He did say there are some bad parts.  A majority of the city is nice and clean though.  I would love to move there.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Im lived in LA & ST Louis for a hand full of years and have lived in SLC for about 6 years.  SLC does not really have bad parts of town like normal citys.  They do have there areas of low income areas that can get ruff but all in all its not to bad.  

Any of the Utah AR15'ers up to doing some shooting sometime?  If you like 3 gun or pistol comp. shoots email me.
Riz
[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, its not too bad.  You can go to the range with your AR and people don't look at you like some kind of terrorist. Someone broke into a house not too far from mine a few weeks back and the homeowner shot the dude in the back.  They didn't make the homeowner out to be a some sort of bad guy. The States screwed up alcohol laws more than make up for it though. After 1 am the streets get rolled up until the next day!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, the alcohol laws take some getting used to, but ya just need to plan ahead.[beer]
Here in southcentral Utah, prolly 90% of the population is armed and friendly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the strip clubs like in Utah?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, the alcohol laws take some getting used to, but ya just need to plan ahead.[beer]
View Quote

Alcohol laws?  More like alcohol dictatorship.  When almost all the members on the alcohol control board believe it is wrong to drink at all you know you are going to have problems.

P.S.  Bearlaker.....I thought you might be a little closer to you know... Bear Lake, not southcentral UT. [;)]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, this bill, along with the one eliminating the CCW class, will probably not pass.  That would require the state to give up desperately needed $$$, and with the budget crunch this year, fat chance.

Utah is pretty good with the firearms issue.  People tend to overlook us when deciding a place to live "out west", which is fine by me.

All you kooky californians can keep moving to Idaho!  [:P]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:33:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I relooked into Utah after seeing these last two reforms. I found out, they will accept any out of state CCW for 60 consecutive days. Is this true ? Was it maine that has a Reciprocal agreement with ya'll ? I ask because I figure I'll send off for a Non-Resident Maine CCW.

But, I have family in Ogden. They moved there from Maryland. They worked in D.C. and lived in MD and said MD and DC were shitholes. They moved right before their kids got old enough to go to school, becuase they said there was no way in hell they were letting their kids go to school in the D.C. suburbs of MD. They don't regret it a bit. From what I hear, the house prices are real nice and there is almost no crime.

How is the IT industry ? I know Novell is HQed in Provo, but they seem to not be doing to well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Alcohol laws?  More like alcohol dictatorship.  When almost all the members on the alcohol control board believe it is wrong to drink at all you know you are going to have problems.

P.S.  Bearlaker.....I thought you might be a little closer to you know... Bear Lake, not southcentral UT. [;)]
View Quote

Okay, I'll bite.  What are the alcohol laws like?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

I grew up 5 miles from Bear Lake in lil' old St. Charles, Idaho.  Birth place of Gutzon Borglum.  My grandfather discovered Minnetonka Cave, a local attraction, whilst hunting pinehen.  Aye, we had some wild times, for country boys, that is.  [:D]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

3.2% beer, not sold after 0100 hrs or before 1100, I think, wine is sold strictly in State Controlled liquor stores which are closed on Sunday and Monday.  You have to belong to a private club to get a real drink without a meal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, you would all like to move here till you got here. Utah is full of extreamly narrow minded people. If your not mormon expect not to get along with too many people. We do have a nice crowd of republicans, but I can't stand the majority of the people. Oh yeah and the beer thing, that's only the begining. I live in an apartment for college kids. Sweet there should be parties and stuff right? No just a bunch of people that want to play board games and stuff. One day I said f*ck in front of a bunch of people and I think they all about shit themselves. They need to open their damn eyes to the rest of the world cause some of us came from unsheltered places.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]
cc48510,
Permits that this state honors:
 State Resident/Non-resident1 Date Updtd Note
Alaska Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Arizona Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Arkansas Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Louisiana Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Nevada   2000-11-28    
North Carolina Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Oklahoma Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
South Carolina Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Texas Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Tennessee Non-resident permits ok 1999-11-22    
Kentucky Non-resident permits ok 2000-04-02    
Florida Non-resident permits ok 2000-04-01    
Connecticut Non-resident permits ok 2000-04-02    
Massachusetts Non-resident permits ok 2000-04-02    
Oregon Non-resident permits ok 2000-05-08    
Wyoming Non-resident permits ok 2000-04-02    
Alabama Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
California Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Colorado Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Delaware Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Georgia Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Hawaii Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Idaho Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Indiana Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Montana Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Maine Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Maryland Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Michigan Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Mississippi Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
New Hampshire Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
New Jersey Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
New Mexico Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
New York Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
North Dakota Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Pennsylvania Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Rhode Island Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Virginia Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
West Virginia Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Washington Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Minnesota Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
South Dakota Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25    
Iowa Non-resident permits ok 2001-10-25
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yeah, you would all like to move here till you got here. Utah is full of extreamly narrow minded people. If your not mormon expect not to get along with too many people. We do have a nice crowd of republicans, but I can't stand the majority of the people. Oh yeah and the beer thing, that's only the begining. I live in an apartment for college kids. Sweet there should be parties and stuff right? No just a bunch of people that want to play board games and stuff. One day I said f*ck in front of a bunch of people and I think they all about shit themselves. They need to open their damn eyes to the rest of the world cause some of us came from unsheltered places.
View Quote

Enigma2yOu,
Utah has a lot of devout, sincere Mormon's who don't want to see their lives changed by outsiders.  That is true in a lot of places with a lot of different religions.
As far as politicos, I have respect for our AG, some for Cannon(3rd district rep), some for Hansen for trying to keep SUWA and the Sierra Club at bay, and not much for Hatch, Bennett, and Leavitt.
As far as parties, ya shoulda been there in Logan in the '70s when Jack Ford was in town and the old Cactus Club had nude dancers. [:)]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, that is all but 7 states. 6 of those 7 ban Conealed Carry all together. The 7th is Vermont. That means they take everybody's CCW.

Cool.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I got this from a Utah resident.

-------------------------------
Subject: Tips for Olympic Visit

With the upcoming Olympics only a 3 weeks away, I thought as a resident of* of Utah, I would share a few "tips" for visitors to the area:

1. Don't laugh at the names (LaVar, LaVel, LaDell, LaMont, DelVora, Lehi, Moroni, Aldean, Brigham, or LuDean, etc.) All names are divine and are beyond gentile humor.

2. Don't offer your Utah Volunteer Guide a cup of coffee or tea,regardless of how cold it is or how miserable they look. It is against their religion. Instead offer them caffeine-laden cold drinks, such as Coca-Cola or Mountain Dew.

3. That green stuff is not a mold. It is Jell-O, the official State dessert. You might try to taste ALL the 3,456,237 recipes for green Jell-O salad during your visit.

4. The Relief Society is NOT a group of citizens who clean public restrooms. They are groups of mothers who specialize in quilts, casseroles and green Jell-O salad. They meet weekly to exchange quilt patterns, casserole recipes, and interesting variations of green Jell-O salad. In fact, they are SO dedicated, they dress like quilts, their hair is done to look like their favorite casserole, and they jiggle just like Jell-O.

5. Don't get lost in downtown Salt Lake. You can go north or south on West* Temple, or east or west on North Temple or on South Temple, but you can't go north on Main Street any more. The BIG Mountains, and all alpine events are on the east side. A large pond and little mountains are to the west. If you're driving and it starts to smell really bad, you're too farwest.

6. Do NOT believe the rumors; we DO sell alcohol in Utah. But do NOT try to find retail outlets by looking under Beer, Wine, or Alcohol in the yellow pages. All alcohol is sold by the State in tiny outlet stores hidden from sight of the general populace and unmarked by large signs or billboards. Do not TRY to find one by asking your Utah Volunteer Guide where the liquor stores are. You will easily find an alcoholic drink on your return flight.

7. Remember concealed weapons are legal in Utah, especially when thinking of returning any hand gesture to any of our friendly Utah drivers.

8. We don't use profanity in Utah. We use only approved expressions: gosh, gul-durn, dad-gumit, golly, jeminy, fetch, flip, frick, frack, etc.

9. Our bible is better than your bible, our prophet is better than yours (ours is still alive), our history is more true than yours, and nobody is allowed to laugh about the Church except Pat Bagley or Robert Kirby.

10. We don't wear "funny underwear." We wear blessed undies and its considered bad taste to ask to see them and please note: they are not available as souvenirs.

11. If a Utahn introduces you to his six wives, please do not say something STUPID like "Isn't that illegal?" Remember the concealed weapon law.

12. You won't find any businesses open or community activities here on Sundays all-day, Monday evenings, Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday evenings, Friday afternoons, or Saturday mornings. These are all regularly scheduled church times and you will be expected to eat, dance, party, and recreate around them. Finally, we really welcome you, your religion, and your diversity here, so PLEASE enjoy your stay!

Link Posted: 1/31/2002 4:08:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Can we get a graphic like this one: [beer], but with cups of milk?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Utah has a lot of devout, sincere Mormon's who don't want to see their lives changed by outsiders.
View Quote

Gee, that kind of sounds like a lot of gun owners I know. [:)] Frankly, if you can't deal with Mormons, maybe you should be looking at another area of the country to live in. Kinda like moving into an Amish community and then bitching about the horse drawn buggies on the road.

As far as the alcohol issue goes, there are places in Texas (a state often cited as being among the most free by members of this board)where you have to drive to next county to buy anything harder than a wine cooler. I doubt Utah is any worse than that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I've lived in 2 places where you couldn't buy Alcohol of any kind:  Milton FL (just NE of Pensacola, and parts of Kingsville TX (just W of Corpus Christie).  Kingsville also had "Blue laws", where it was illegal to buy a tool on Sunday (Day of Rest).

Here in Idaho we welcome new people, but not if they want to change the way we live (read Kalifornians).  If you don't like it, you don't have to live there.  Don't be intolerant of intolerant people.  Those people are called liberals.  They claim everybody should be more tolerant, but they themselves are the least tolerant people around.

I've know and worked with several Mormons -- all good people.  They do have their customs (like not drinking any cafein), but I think that's great.  We could do with more upright, responsible citizens, and fewer drunk drivers.

By the way, I have heard that S. Idaho has more Mormons than Utah.  So if you don't like Mormons, better avoid Idaho to.

Rant over.  I feel better now . . .
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Actually, it is not just Milton. It is all of Santa Rosa County. But, with Escambia, FL to the West, Ookaloosa, FL to the East and Escambia, AL to the North nobody there would have a problem getting liquor harder than beer. At least you have the better gun shops. I always drive to Pace to buy guns. The gun shops on P'Cola are a buch of elistists who despise the evil black rifle or anything that looks like an "Assault Weapon."

Kentucky also has dry counties as do several other states. Almost every state has some counties where nothing harder than Beer be gotten.

Personally, I don't spend all my time drinking. If you do, then avoid any place where you cannot buy. I prefer caffeine. 6 wives is cool with me as it is your choice. I like Jello. The undies thing is kinda freaky though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Take it from me.
If you can live with all the rude, money-grubbing, uncrupulous shitbags that inhabit [much of] Calibanfornia, then you could probably handle any part of the U.S. quite well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:02:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

3.2% beer, not sold after 0100 hrs or before 1100, I think, wine is sold strictly in State Controlled liquor stores which are closed on Sunday and Monday.  You have to belong to a private club to get a real drink without a meal.
View Quote

Add to that even if you have your membership to a private club they cannot put more than one ounce of primary liquor in a drink.  Yep..no double shots.  The dispensers are metered and checked by the state.  Lots of other crazy things, but the ones that piss me off most are 3.2 beer and bars closed at 0100.  Thats what time I am just about ready to get started
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are actually a couple of pretty decent ones in SLC I guess.  Never been as the wife wont allow it, but one of my buddys goes occasionally.  His favorite is the American Bush in SLC.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
The American Bush rocks. Good looking babes. The Sociables on State is also good if you want to buy beer but you will have to put up with pastys and g-strings. Can't buy a beer at the Bush cause its totally nude and they don't want drunks groping the gals... I guess. As for the Olympics... Geez, one week to go and you already can't find a parking spot down town.  It's going to get bad.  Although they have changed a lot of stuff because of them... so we don't seem so odd to outsiders.  We got a new freeway out of it and all the roads got a new coat of asphalt, I guess so we will look good on TV.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 4:28:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

7 dancers to every guy.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#32]
As cities go, SLC has some pretty good looking chicks overall.  I have been to some cities, and didn't see a decent looking female the entire week.  All cities have their share of dogs, but some places seem to have an abundance.  SLC has lots of okay chicks and a few babes too.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:17:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

7 dancers to every guy.
View Quote

[:D]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#34]
On the downside, the Wasatch Front I15 corridor has a lot of the rudest, most dangerous drivers in the western US.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Unlike the PRK, I never did feel like I needed a gun.
View Quote

What the hell gives you the right to -- Oh, you said [u]THE[/u] PRK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top