Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2009 11:08:34 PM EDT
If this were even remotely close to me I'd be all over it!

Here's the text:

Army Jeep Project M151A2 UNCUT BODY WITH SOME RUST  
Vehicle Description  

1970's ( I THINK IT IS A '73 ) M151A2 ARMY JEEP. HAS DATA PLATE. TRW BODY. GOOD WINTER PROJECT. AS IS, NEEDS SOME WORK.

TIRES HOLD AIR. DIFFERENTIALS TURN FREELY. BRAKES ARN'T SO GREAT.NEEDS DRUMS.

NO TITLE - BILL OF SALE CAN BE PROVIDED

WILLLING TO PART OUT IF NOT SOLD.

Here's the jeep:

ETA: looks like it was used to test mines.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:11:50 PM EDT
[#2]
A real fixer upper.

Why are the axles and wheels in such good shape when the rest looks like it was crushed?
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A real fixer upper.

Why are the axles and wheels in such good shape when the rest looks like it was crushed?

I'm guessing it was demilled.  Used one of those grappling machines or something similar. Here is the driver's footwell. Notice the way the metal is torn.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, you cannot buy those anymore because the .gov says they are too dangerous to civilians.

So, no matter how bad the sheet metal on that looks, it's extremely rare and someone will pay good $ for it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Fucking disgraceful.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC, you cannot buy those anymore because the .gov says they are too dangerous to civilians.

So, no matter how bad the sheet metal on that looks, it's extremely rare and someone will pay good $ for it.

No they won't, unless you call $200 good.  Parts for these things are everywhere.  Its the bodies that are valuble, and this one aint got it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

151's were never sold to civilians through DRMO.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 11:58:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, so potentially even more valuable.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About all that's really valuable on that one is the drive train/rolling gear for someone that's trying to resto a de-mil.

Just realized I left that out of my last post - they sold de-milled 151, just never complete/running ones.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]
That'll buff out.

I can't believe I was the first to say this, you guys are getting slow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

About all that's really valuable on that one is the drive train/rolling gear for someone that's trying to resto a de-mil.

Just realized I left that out of my last post - they sold de-milled 151, just never complete/running ones.

Actually, I have seen several pristeen (sp) sold at gov auction, they just didn't know what the were and were usually listed as 'willis jeeps' (misspelling as read).  I attended one such auction at NAS Norfolk MWR back in 2000 with a -A1 model last used by the flying club. Then another  (DRMO) was somewhere in the flyover states, with a hardtop and complete accesories as a 'museum car' and zeros as a NSN.

On ebay recently was an Encore, a remake body with NOS mechanicals. Built in the early 80s. it sold for around $7900.

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#12]
A little Bondo and it'll be good as new.

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#13]
For comparison, here's what they should look like:

Link Posted: 8/5/2009 2:21:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, many were. It was not until later on that the demil requirements came along, first they were just cut, folks rewelded them, but later they were crushed. But many made it through.

All excuses aside, the demil restrctions came along right about the time the gov bailed out Chrysler, and all the sudden they didn;t want competition with the CJ's.......

Didn't know any had ever made it through, all the ones I had seen were either former Border Patrol vehicles or had come from other countries.

Did know about the the Chrysler competition issue - they'd been leaning on DoD (and later DoT) for a while to get the milsurp Jeeps deemed "unsafe."
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Any truth to the old rumor that you could buy one of these in a crate real cheap years ago? Like after WW2?

I have heard it many times from different people. I always wondered if it was true.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Any truth to the old rumor that you could buy one of these in a crate real cheap years ago? Like after WW2?

I have heard it many times from different people. I always wondered if it was true.

Some of the more common models cheap? yes.
brand new in a crate? no.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 4:01:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Here's what i mean about a lot of parts out there.  These are offshoots from the M151 series:

At one time, Carolina Growler was in line to produce something along ghese line for the USMC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top