Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 3:26:44 PM EDT
I hate hearing my voice...I think I sound goofy even though others say I don't.  Voicemails, greetings, or videos...I hate when I know I'm about to talk cause it always sounds different than what I hear coming out of my mouth...why is that?

What about you ARFCOM?  Do you guys like the sound of your voice?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a very very quiet voice. It's pretty deep but does not travel very well.

I wish I was louder. When I get drunk, I usually yell to make sure everyone can hear me.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#2]
What is chaulk?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn! Chalk...     Now I hate myself instead of just my voice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:29:40 PM EDT
[#4]
my voice sounds completely different then how i hear it. i hate saying it but it sounds gay compared to how i hear it
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I wish I was louder. When I get drunk, I usually yell to make sure everyone can hear me.

Drunk? Can I see your ID, sir? What is the legal drinking age in Canada?

ETA<<<<<<<Hates hearing his voice.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What is chaulk?

What the fuck is a cheque?

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
my voice sounds completely different then how i hear it. i hate saying it but it sounds gay compared to how i hear it

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Most recordings make men sound more nasal and high pitched then they actually are.  I think that unless it is studio quality mikes, you lose some of the low ranges in their voice...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Not recorded....
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I can only describe the sweet sound of my voice with one word; Mellifluous.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:09:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate hearing recordings of my voice. The way I hear it when actually speaking doesn't bother me, but I guess I really don't know how others hear it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been told my voice is deep but I have never been able to prove it.  on tape it seems like someone just kicked me in the
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:18:11 PM EDT
[#13]
No.  I listened to a voicemail I left my gf recently and I sound like Sarah Gilbert, and no matter what I do my voice is never loud enough.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a deep, slightly guttural smoker's voice.  Everywhere I go there's always someone who says, "Wow, you have a deep voice."

Thanks for letting me know. .

Granted, I'm a big, tall, baby-faced 22 year old and it throws people off, but all the same. .
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah boy, deep and chocolaty!  Mmm-mmm...

Just kidding, I think I sound ridiculous on all recordings I've ever heard of myself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I am the same way...whenever I hear a voicemail/message whatever from myself I'm like, "damn I sound stupid"

It's wierd because I don't think my voice is sounds like that when I'm actually talking but on a machine it's bad!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I remember reading somewhere it sounds different when we speak because we are hearing it through matter soft tissue & bone..  When we hear it on a recording, it's purely auditory and not distorted by any solid matter..  Thus the difference..

I could be wrong, it happened once before..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah I am the same way...whenever I hear a voicemail/message whatever from myself I'm like, "damn I sound stupid"

It's wierd because I don't think my voice is sounds like that when I'm actually talking but on a machine it's bad!

It sounds like you hear on playback.

Mine sounds higher pitched than I hear it, same for most folks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

this

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I think I remember reading somewhere it sounds different when we speak because we are hearing it through matter soft tissue & bone..  When we hear it on a recording, it's purely auditory and not distorted by any solid matter..  Thus the difference..

Only once?  You're lucky.  I've been wrong a lot!

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Surprisingly I don't.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Doesnt bother me. I can actually sing pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a very deep voice, and I'm not really a large guy, so it's a bit odd. Kind of sound like Seth Rogen from Pineapple Express. Could be worse.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Not really
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only once?  You're lucky.  I've been wrong a lot!

You see, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken..
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I have always been told that I have a fantastic voice. Deep and powerful. However, when I hear a recording of myself it sounds terrible to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
My voice is incredibly powerful and mellifluous. I have to be careful how I wield its power.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This.  The sound vibrations make it to your ear faster via your jaw bone then they do via your mouth through air and into your ear.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most recordings make men sound more nasal and high pitched then they actually are.  I think that unless it is studio quality mikes, you lose some of the low ranges in their voice...

Even on studio equipment, most people are surprised when they hear their own voice. I work in radio and I can't count the number of people I have heard say "I don't sound like that" and I tell them "yes, you do."   If you hear it enough, you get used to it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#30]
i like the way i sound
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Everybody hears their own voice mostly from inside their head.  And most people are uncomfortable with hearing the

recorded sound of their own voice.

I am.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#32]
A lot of people (strangers) have told me I should do voiceover work or be a radio DJ.

When I listen to recordings of myself I sound like Shipwreck from the old GI Joe cartoon

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I hate the sound of my voice, especially on home movies and over the phone. I would give alot to have a more feminine voice. I hate being called Mr. Murphy!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been told I sound like Holly Hunter. Seems I also sound like.....a 6 year old.

I can't stand to hear myself recorded, which was a huge drawback to those monthly staff meetings where we HAD to listen to 2 of our calls. Every call center I've worked at made us do it.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a deep ass voice and girls love it, but I can't stand hearing it on recording
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#36]
My past career was radio announcing, acting, live MC and voiceover work.

I still don't like to listen to recordings of myself, but have grown accustomed to how I sound.  Remember that what you hear as conducted through your skull will be different from what others hear in real life.  That, in turn, will be different from how you sound recorded - depending on equipment used.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Massive poll FAIL
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I talk dirty to my tape recorder then hit play and fap myself to sleep.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, actually I do.

Many people tell me I have a good "radio voice" and might have made a good announcer.

My voice is kind of like Art Bell's (gravelly sounding).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top