Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:12:14 PM EDT
Anybody know where the scrap is getting sold too?

Because I have a sick feeling it is getting sold to China where they will use it to build carriers, tanks, and other weapons of war

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of them go over to Egypt, Argentina and other places where consumer vehicles aren't common.
A good friend of mine owns a junkyard here in Tampa, he told me thats where they make their money from, not selling car parts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

A lot of them go over to Egypt, Argentina and other places where consumer vehicles aren't common.

A good friend of mine owns a junkyard here in Tampa, he told me thats where they make their money from, not selling car parts.

These are getting shredded as part of the program so they can pollute the earth again with their evil toxins.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]

double tap

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
They rebuild the cut up cars and resell them to the public
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The Paths of the Environmentalist and Common Sense Never Intersect

I give you the government mandated ending for "cash for clunkers"; run Sodium Silicate through the engine and destroy a perfectly good vehicle.
And with the smoke pouring out of it, it's SO environmentally friendly.

Just take a look for yourself:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjBilHH5z2A

What a waste. Had this been thought out properly by a government bureaucrat, a much better solution could have been had. Take those vehicles and trade them for even worse polluters. Think about it. The taxi driver Camaroon, Egypt, Laos, Cambodia, India or pick your favorite underdeveloped, but semi-friendly country rides around in a 40-50 year old carborated Lada, Zim, Zis or Zil which has no emissions controls and pollutes with a pipe right out of the manifold. Orders of magnitude dirtier than any car with OBD II, this could have been a win win for everyone. For didn't Obama state he wanted to improve our image around the world? Didn't environmentalists state they want less pollution? Didn't treehuggers state they want less gasoline used?

Does a fifty year old car use more gasoline than a modern fuel injected engine? Does a fifty year old car give off more pollution than a modern computer controlled car with a catalytic converter? But then again, I guess pollution is local and doesn't affect the whole world, huh? Would trading a ten year old car for a fifty year old car improve our image and standing with many around the world? I thought that's what Obama was all about? We could even keep the real clunkers (Lada, Zim, Zis or Zil) and crush them ourselves for scrap metal.  

If it bothers some that we would be helping people around the world instead of our own, well, we do it everyday through USAID and other programs. Moreover, we could collect a fraction of the car's true worth from the foreign buyer and apply it towards our national debt, with the explicit agreement that our ten year old cars could only replace forty to fifty year old cars. If that still bothers some, then give the cars to people in Appalachia who have no hope of ever owning even a true clunker. There could even be a qualification program to make sure it gets to the most needy.

Whatever, I'm fine with it. But I'm not fine with the wasteful program another government statist has setup for destroying perfectly useful vehicles. Why is this administration stuck on stupid?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
and i'm sure private industry could still have found a way to benefit from shipping, distributing, and reselling those cars overseas. might even have created whole new markets for us parts distributors.

an unbelievable waste of resources. i hope history will at least hold them accountable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#7]
if the Chinese are willing to pay the most for scrap metal, it's going to them, as it should.

I suspect scrap metal is treated as a commodity, so it doesn't really matter where it's going.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

if the Chinese are willing to pay the most for scrap metal, it's going to them, as it should.

I suspect scrap metal is treated as a commodity, so it doesn't really matter where it's going.

by the time you factor in disposal, transport, and potential profit - or lack thereof after the power train is intentionally destroyed, i wouldn't be surprised to learn the gov. has to pay to get the things scrapped properly because your typical salvage operators has no interest.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

by the time you factor in disposal, transport, and potential profit - or lack thereof after the power train is intentionally destroyed, i wouldn't be surprised to learn the gov. has to pay to get the things scrapped properly because your typical salvage operators has no interest.  

I find it surprising that salvage companies would have no interest in them. Even without a functional engine, lots of crash repair parts, interiors, transmissions etc that are sellable. Unless there is special handling of the C.F.C cars that make them unable to part them out (forcing them to crush them intact).

Heck, most of the boneyard cars you find in areas where rust is not a factor are there due to blown motors (crash damage being a close second).

If there is nothing unusual about how they are handled, I would not mind picking up some of the cleaner examples for scrap value. Put an engine out of a wreck in them and get em back out on the road. It would not surprise me if a few really clean examples sneak back out on the road somehow, look at all the Katrina flood cars that wound up back in circulation.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#10]
The most important question is WHY? Why is the .gov involved in this and using tax dollars for people to trade in cars?  This is pure crap.  I am so sick our our current administration and their destruction of this country.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it surprising that salvage companies would have no interest in them. Even without a functional engine, lots of crash repair parts, interiors, transmissions etc that are sellable. Unless there is special handling of the C.F.C cars that make them unable to part them out (forcing them to crush them intact).

Heck, most of the boneyard cars you find in areas where rust is not a factor are there due to blown motors (crash damage being a close second).

If there is nothing unusual about how they are handled, I would not mind picking up some of the cleaner examples for scrap value. Put an engine out of a wreck in them and get em back out on the road. It would not surprise me if a few really clean examples sneak back out on the road somehow, look at all the Katrina flood cars that wound up back in circulation.

there's actually a chunk of the legislation that addresses mercury switches, freon, fluids etc
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#12]

The CARS Act requires that the trade-in vehicle be crushed or shredded so that it will not be resold for use in the United States or elsewhere as an automobile. The entity crushing or shredding the vehicles in this manner will be allowed to sell some parts of the vehicle prior to crushing or shredding it, but these parts cannot include the engine or the drive train.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top