Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2002 7:44:08 AM EDT
"Donald G. Arnold is a Vietnam veteran and president of his neighborhood association. He was named a "citizen of the year" by Maryland in 2000 for his work with police in southeast Baltimore to stop drug dealers and make the city safer.

None of that mattered, however, when Mr. Arnold tried to renew his permit to carry a gun that he needed in his work as a private detective and security guard. "

[url]http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20020129-865799.htm[/url]

F*ck Maryland. I am SO glad I got the hell outta there......

Bulldog OUT
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:56:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal law disqualifies a person from possessing a firearm if he or she is convicted of a crime punishable by more than one year or of a state offense — including misdemeanors and common-law offenses — punishable by more than two years.

View Quote

What part of federal law is this?

Anybody have a link or source?

I have.....uh a good friend, ya that's it, a good friend, that has a conviction of a minor misdemeanor punishable by more than 1 year, that has lots of stuff and, in fact, has just as recently as this last summer passed the NICS.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I think his local Veterans Assoc should take up his cause and sue the gov to reinstate his right.  It won't happen though, because then other more serious criminals will be able to use his precedent and obtain guns they "should not" have.(Not calling him a criminal, but really, if a draft dodger can become pres, why can't someone also as ill effected by that war be forgiven for being attacked and defending himself?)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#4]
What really pisses me off is how they make use of decades old, irrelevant information.  Why not judge individuals on who they are, not on who they were.  There should be some kind of statute of limitations on this crap.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
State police said they soon will begin searching databases for gun owners with disqualifying offenses on their records.
View Quote

Anyone still think NICS is a good idea?

I'm for abolishing NICS and keeping those who can't be trusted with firearms behind bars.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Where are all of the "good cops" who "would never do that"?  Seems awful quiet from that end.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes they are misinterpreting the law:

The Federal Law actually says:

Anybody convicted of a crime punishable by more than a year in prison, but not if the crime was a state midemeanor punishable by less than 2 years.

(20) The term "crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" does not include -

(A) any Federal or State offenses pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices, or

(B) any State offense classified by the laws of the State as a misdemeanor and punishable by a term of imprisonment of two years or less.

What constitutes a conviction of such a crime shall be determined in accordance with the law of the jurisdiction in which the proceedings were held. Any conviction which has been expunged, or set aside or for which a person has been pardoned or has had civil rights restored shall not be considered a conviction for purposes of this chapter, unless such pardon, expungement, or restoration of civil rights expressly provides that the person may not ship, transport, possess, or receive firearms.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#8]

[b]Another reason why I don't live in Maryland![/b]

It wouldn't suprise me if the guy in the bar that Don Arnold got in fight with was this bleeding heart prick Attorney General Curran.

By his logic, if all guns are banned, then the cops wouldn't need to carry guns either, right?  Just look how well that's working in England.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#9]
More of the same. Liberals write unconstitutional gun laws and then disregard both the Constitution AND their own laws by confiscating guns from ANYONE for ANY REASON!!

It sickens me that it happens, but sickens me even more to hear people say "Well then, I'll just move to a more gun-friendly state".

This is how the antis work - state by state, chasing "us" around until 20-30 years from now, Alabama will have the same laws as Californistan, Peoples Republic of Maryland, and Washington D.C. ("[b]D[/b]oes [b]C[/b]onfiscate").  [pissed]

The same article refers to the other Maryland case of Larry Dicken (posted in an early thread here).  This reveals more of the devious tactics of the gun-grabbers:

[i]Mr. Dicken passed background checks and purchased several handguns before Aug. 24, when [b]state police called saying they needed to visit to "verify serial numbers" of his guns before they approved his pending purchase[/b].

Two troopers arrived at Mr. Dicken's house in an unmarked car, [b]Mr. Dicken presented the guns, and the troopers told him they had been ordered to seize [u]all[/u] his firearms.[/b][/i]

Yeah, I REALLY trust police now.  At what point do the "good" cops become Stormtrooper-JBTs who are "just following orders"?

Another glaring statement at the end of the article:

[i]"Cases like this demonstrate the [b]huge gulf between the intentions and realities of gun control[/b]," said James Purtilo, publisher of Tripwire, the Beltsville-based gun rights newsletter."[/i]

What is that guy smoking?  There's no gulf between intentions and realities here.  Total confiscation [b]IS[/b] the intention of gun-control advocates. DUH!!

Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
They even STOLE his wife's gun, under the logic that he would have access to a gun still.

Gee, why not round up the neighbor's guns as well, to ensure nobody loans him one.

Note - the "Gun Board" has overruled this twice before and renewed his permit.  Joey Curran is so rapidly anti-gun (author of [i]"A Farewell to Arms[/i]) that it's a personal holy mission for him to disarm every single citizen he can.

MARYLANDERS - Join the Fight - THE MARYLAND CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE - [URL]www.mcdl.org[/url]
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I just keep remembering that press conference that Gov. Glendenning had where he was supposed to show how great a newfangled handgun locking device was and he could not operate in on camera.
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm glad to hear so many of my fellow members are PISSED OFF about this....BUT.....

What are YOU doing to insure this doesn't happen in YOUR state??

Have you donated/joined any of the various gun rights groups??

Have you written/called your Congress critters, and more importantly, your STATE representatives??

Have you introduced newbies to sport of shooting, and educated them on the FACT that there are people out there TRYING HARD to DISARM us?

No?

Then YOU are part of the problem.[soapbox]

Bulldog OUT

(edited because I misspell when I'm on a rant)
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#13]
After my wife was attacked in November when she was 8 mos pregnant and police NEVER SHOWED UP after she called them for help, I have been on the phone with my State Delegate Turner - who disagreed that CCW was the answer but did affirm that gun ownership was an individual Constitutional right.  I received a form letter from Delegate Pendergrass who doesn't care what I think.  The MD State Police have been in touch with me as well as the Governors office trying to make sure I do not get this story out.  The media, Baltimore Sun and local papers, will not run the story and will not answer my calls.

None of them care at all!!!

What the hell else can I do?
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
After my wife was attacked in November when she was 8 mos pregnant and police NEVER SHOWED UP after she called them for help, I have been on the phone with my State Delegate Turner - who disagreed that CCW was the answer but did affirm that gun ownership was an individual Constitutional right.  I received a form letter from Delegate Pendergrass who doesn't care what I think.  The MD State Police have been in touch with me as well as the Governors office trying to make sure I do not get this story out.  The media, Baltimore Sun and local papers, will not run the story and will not answer my calls.

View Quote

You should send a COMPLETE accounting of this to:

[email protected]

If you don't get a response, let me know. I am a Video Producer who used to live in Columbia, MD and who now lives in VA. (My office is still in Silver Spring, but I'm trying to move that to VA too).

If O'Reilly doesn't bite let me know. I've been thinking about making a documentary about Handgun Control and the results of it. your story would be a good one to illustrate MD's inadequacies.

Take care.

Matt Gottshalk AKA Bulldog1967 on ar15.com
McGee Digital Inc.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thane - we could write this up and do a press release under MCDL.  Only $75 for national release.  I would think the board would support this.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:04:13 AM EDT
[#16]
1) He got in a fight with a guy.........
2) He went to Court and pled guilty to a crime, without a lawyer.
3) Since the crime he was found guilty of has a "quirky" sentence, his RKBA is stripped 32 years later.......

I think they are technically correct, It doesn't matter how you are sentenced, what matters is the max. possible sentence. I know of several people that have been found guilty of Homicide by DUI and have recieved sentences of 90 days or less. Seems like the crime matters, not the punishment.

It also works for people accused of felonies, the DA can't say "well it's a felony, but we only want you to serve a couple of days so it's no big deal".......

Constitutional Protections also kick in, indictment, grand jury etc. at the felony level, that are not required at the misdemeanor level.

Having said that, the reason that a crime being (viewed as) a Felony is important.

1) Most places will not let you plead guilty to a felony unless you consult with an atty., or flat out refuse to get one.  
2) Most places will not accept a guilty plea in a felony case at an initial court appearence.

These may be minor distinctions, but they protect accused persons from several things including "rushing" them into an unwise plea.

Seems like he didn't have any of those protections.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:17:41 AM EDT
[#17]
If a person has "paid his debt to society", his rights should be restored.

If he can't be trusted with that right, he should still be in jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top