Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2002 12:09:33 PM EDT
Everyone is always talking about the great deals in Shotgun News. I got to the website and can't find SQUAT. How do I get in on the fun???

[?]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to your local book/magazine store and pick up a copy.  It's printed on newspaper like stationary and bound with staples.  It's kinda big and unwieldily, but a good read nonetheless.

- Matt
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Even the good deals listed in SGN aren't always available.

I had picked up the Jan 7th issue and MidwayUSA had an AD, listing something on sale. I called to order and it was NO longer on sale, I was told, "that price was only good in December"

So the next issue of SGN (Jan 14th I think) I checked and sure enough, still had the AD, stating the item was still on sale!

MidwayUSA and/or SGN can't figure out when to place a AD correctly [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Dosn't matter to me because there aren't any transfer friendly dealers around here in a 150 mile radius.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 12:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost like GunList, there was a few times I saw some smokin deals in an issue that just hit the newstand that morning, called the seller and the seller laughing to tell me it was sold two weeks ago.  Most of the big time dealers get GunList and other mags overnighted - they spend a bit more $$ in delivery cost, but do get the best deals.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I get both Gun List and Shotgun News at home and go through every issue the day it arrives.  I've easily paid for my subscriptions with the savings on new/used scopes, stripped AR-15 lowers, etc.  The keys are 1) study each issue extensively and 2) have ready access to a decent FFL dealer who isn't out to get rich on every deal!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Shotgun news' deadline for ads is like a month before the issue hits the stands, that is why some people are having problems with items being sold already.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:11:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Shotgun News and The Gunlist, makes my day when the new issues hit my mailbox!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Armed_Scientist wrote:
Dosn't matter to me because there aren't any transfer friendly dealers around here in a 150 mile radius.
View Quote

And what part of the state would that be?  My FFL does them for $10 per 4473 which I consider pretty accomodating.  150 mile radius from WCH covers a LOT of the state though certainly not all!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:00:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a subscription. What many people don't know is that there are two issues of Shotgun News. One comes goes out to subscribers two weeks before it hits the newstand. Look at a buddy's who has a subscription some time. My current issue is dated February 1st, and n small print it says (same as Newstand Issue Feb 18).

Chris
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:16:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top