Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2002 7:16:42 AM EDT
What movie gave you nightmares and generally scared the S!@# out of you when you a kid?  Does it affect you still today?

Here's mine;
#1-I think it was called "Killer Grizzly"?
#2-Jaws
#3-Children of the Corn

The grizzly movie really got me, probably because I live/play/hunt in Grizzly country.  Very stupid movie, but it scared me.  I was also pretty young when I saw it, 7-8?  I don't go anywhere when I'm camping in grizz country with out my .44mag or my .338.  Pretty sad, a bad "B" movie has had a lasting affect on my habits.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#1]
(1) The Sound of Music
(2) Anything with Paulie Shore
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#2]
guns762, was that the name of the movie "Killer Grizzly"?  Was that the one where the one dude couldn't get his sleeping bag unzipped and tried hopping away from the Grizz?  The giant grizz gives the dude one big swat and all you see is feathers flying!  Later in the movie, the hero was on a dock on a small lake and the Grizz comes after him!  That movie was a hoot!

DaMan
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:26:47 AM EDT
[#3]
1) Thing (the original)
2) Alien
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
1) "The Birds"

2) "Jaws"

3) "Deliverance" John Voight's final dream scene - the stuff kid's of nightmares [shock]

Honorable Mention:
"Let's Scare Jessica To Death" - [u]really[/u] bad seventies-style erie-psycho flick, but hit the wrong note at the right time in my childhood.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:44:22 AM EDT
[#5]
1.  poltergeist
2.  jaws

I was also scared by Clowns and Santa.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 7:49:13 AM EDT
[#6]
"The Legend of Hell House"
"Britey of the Grand Canyon"
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#7]
[b] The Exorcist [/b]

My cousin took me to a drive in to see this when I was [i] eight [/i] years old.

My mom chewed his ass out real good for that one.  I couldn't sleep alone for at least a month.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:15:43 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Legend of Boggy Creek (The toilet scene)
2. Killdozer
3. The Entity

Dishonerable Mention:
War of The Gargantuas
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
The movie adaptation of Stephen King's "Salem's Lot". Specifically the scene where the kiddie vampire sat outside his friend's window, whispering and scratching in the fog. I still randomly fire out my windows at night to discourage bloodsucking midget freaks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#10]
First movie that scared the crap out of me as a kid....American Werewolf In London. I'm still not sure why.

Most recent scarey movie, or at least scarey character in a movie.....the clown from Stephen Kinds "It". Makes freddy and jason look like little school girls.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#11]
P.S.- Most lovable scarey charcter has to go to Jack in the "Shining".
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[b] The Exorcist [/b]

My cousin took me to a drive in to see this when I was [i] eight [/i] years old.

My mom chewed his ass out real good for that one.  I couldn't sleep alone for at least a month.
View Quote

That would have made the top of my list, but I never saw it as a child - thank God!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:33:42 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://www.yesterdayland.com/images/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1094.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Nightmare on Elm Street
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
guns762, was that the name of the movie "Killer Grizzly"?  Was that the one where the one dude couldn't get his sleeping bag unzipped and tried hopping away from the Grizz?  The giant grizz gives the dude one big swat and all you see is feathers flying!  Later in the movie, the hero was on a dock on a small lake and the Grizz comes after him!  That movie was a hoot!

DaMan
View Quote

That would be the one.  Maybe it was called "Night of the Grizzly"?  I don't know, that sounds too much like "Night of the Comet".
The part where the little kid gets chased, and just before he becomes a little snack, he falls into the rushing stream and is carried away; that scared me pretty good.  Another, the guy is in his tent, the grizz comes in from behind, takes one swipe, rips the guy out of the back of the tent and takes off with him.  ....Hell, I think I'm gonna go load my .44.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#16]
The Night of the Hunter (I don't know why).
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:51:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Jeez, you guys are making me feel like an old man.

Forbidden Planet.

Saw it on TV in about 1961 (I was 3), and got nightmares from the stairs being bent by the invisible heavyweight monster from the Id.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#18]
The Exorcist, hands down!!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
A second for Poltergeist.  The clown grabbing from under the bed had me jumping from the light switch to the bed forever.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That would be the one.  Maybe it was called "Night of the Grizzly"?
View Quote

"Night of the Grizzly" was an old 1966 flick starring Clint Walker.  If you're into Grizzly flicks, it's also a good one. Clint Walker with model 1892 vs. big Grizz that had been causing considerable damage in the neighborhood.  

I think the title of the movie you're talking about may have been "Killer Grizzly".  It's been so long I can't remember.

It scared me at the time, and I ain't afraid of nothin'! .... Except those damn flying monkeys!  Man I hate those things!

DaMan  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll second the vote for the original "The Thing". How about when Kenneth Tobey opens the greenhouse door and the Thing is standing on the other side! They get the door shut and when the Lt. sez "hey Scotty, did you get your picture.? No you were in the way!  You want me to open it again? NO!!!!" Also House on Haunted Hill scared the bejezuz out of me when I was 8 yrs old. I still have trouble with that one. Damn, Vincent Price was creepy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:07:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:11:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#24]
[b]FROGS[/b]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:33:44 AM EDT
[#25]
The Wizard of Oz... I used to get nightmares about tornadoes for weeks after watching that one.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#26]
The Blob. Really the first horror movie I ever saw.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#27]
all I remember is "mud monster". I have no clue as to what movie it was.

I still to this day remember the 'severed hand' of this "mud monster" grabbing a victim on the stairs.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#28]
1. The birds
2. The House on haunted hill (original with Vinnie Price)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Charlie and the Choclate factory, Those Umpalumpa's are freaking terrifying. Still scare me to this day!
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#30]
I was freaked out by Pirahna.  I remember asking my dad if any lived this far up north.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:17:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Charlie and the Choclate factory, Those Umpalumpa's are freaking terrifying. Still scare me to this day!
View Quote

And I thought I was the only one.  We should start a support group.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:42:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Only one....."Mighty Joe Young"

Can't figure it out..I loved monkies....even asked my dad for a tail for my birthday when I was a wee one.

"Alien" audiences could be heard outside the theater through a pretty thick wall screaming when the little guy came out of the chest.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#34]
The Morlocks in the 1960 version of "The Time Machine" scared the living crap out of me as a little kid (5 or 6) when I saw it on TV.

I didn't watch the movie again until I was almost 35.

- CD
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Aggie1:
Armed_Scientist:
View Quote

And I thought I was the only one.  We should start a support group.
View Quote

[img]http://wonka-is-satan.tripod.com/oompa.jpg[/img]

The evil Wonka's hellspawn minion army stand at attention awaiting the Dark Lord's wishes. Wonka says he brought them from a dark place of "nothing but desolate wastes and fierce beasts." They would much rather serve as Wonka's slaves in purgatory than return to the excruciating reality of their realm.

[url]wonka-is-satan.tripod.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Invasion of the body snatchers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#37]
I think the movie was just called 'Grizzly'

That was the one that got me, as I too was all over that country when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:38:56 AM EDT
[#38]
1) Chucky
2) Exorcist
3) Waco News Coverage
4) Ruby Ridge Murders (News)
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#40]
It's been so long ago I don't remember the name of the movie, if I ever did.
I believe the movie was in black and white. This was in the late fifties and all we had were B&W tv's.
All I remember was some pilot was in a fighter jet, I think, and he had some kind of strange experience. Can't really recall what it was.
Anyway, after he got back to the base and was debriefed, he hugs and kisses his wife and everyone's happy he's OK.
Then the scene switches to late at night, when the pilot and wife are going to bed. They get settled in and fall asleep.
And of course you know what happens next. That's right, scary music! Scary enough for the 8 or 9 nine year old that I was, to get prickly all over.
Then the camera pans to the windows of the bedroom, while the scary music builds. At first you don't know what you're looking at, as something draws near the windows. As it moves closer you finally begin to make it out. An eye. A big yellow eye that keeps getting bigger as it comes closer. When the eye passed through the bedroom windows as if they weren't there, as the scary music reached a crescendo, I bolted screaming into the night.

Never did find out what happened or what that eye was.

Edited to add I was watching on a black and white TV, and the movie was probably shot in B&W, but that mother EYE was still yellow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Night of the Living Dead.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:13:17 PM EDT
[#42]
The Fall Of The House Of Usher
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't laugh..but Indiana Jones:  Raiders of the Lost Ark.  I was about 5 years old, and the scene where the Nazis' faces were melting really freaked me out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't remember the name of it but it was on TV in 1972 or so. There were these people in it who had entirely white eyes (no iris or pupil). I had nightmares for several years after watching that one....
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Amityville horror, I saw it when I was about 6 or 7.

I think the other movie I saw that scared me when I was little was called The Fog. Those ghosts glowing eyes kept me from sleeping for weeks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Zombie
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Children of the Corn terrified me more than anything before or since.  I was forced to watch it when I was 7 by the girls who were babysitting me.  After they put me to bed they taunted me by telling me that the "Devil was going to come for me."

Killer Clowns from Outer Space was pretty bad.  I was 11 or 12 and hadn't slept for days when I saw.  It gave me nightmares for a couple years.  I still feel funny around clowns.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Blob. Really the first horror movie I ever saw.
View Quote

I saw a (looking back now) [b]really[/b] campy movie at summer day camp when I was five or six called "Son of the Blob" freaked out does not come close to describing what this movie did to me. At the time I had a red rug in my bedroom- I refused to step foot in my room untill that rug was gone( can I tell you my mom was PISSED at the camp)
 To this day, every once in a while I will have a nightmare about the blob & wake up in a cold sweat.
"The Fog" wigged me out pretty bad too.
echo6  
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:59:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree.Willy Wonka just creeped me out when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 3:20:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
First movie that scared the crap out of me as a kid....American Werewolf In London.
View Quote

I second that one! Specifically the lead characters whacked-out dream sequence. I'm 25 now and that movie still gives me a touch of the heebie-jeebies!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top