Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 10:16:57 AM EDT
Get this,I had a call from an old girlfriend, her son got a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle for Christmas.  She has no current boyfriend and I shoot competitively.  She asked me to take her boy to the range and get him checked out and safe.  He is 14 or so. She said she got him a locking cabinet and put it in my old gunroom and that she had to remind him to never let the teachers hear him talking about guns at school.
 She said and I do not doubt her,,, that a kid in her son's class got a .22 for Christmas and when he returned to school me mentioned it in class. The teacher upon hearing the word "GUN" called the office, the police and principle showed up and removed him from class and forcing him to lie down, get searched and cuffed. They read him his rights and held the school in lockdown for two hours.
 They called his parents who confirmed he did indeed get a gun for Christmas and that is was not a crime to have a gun.  They said they would have to expel him for saying, "GUN" in school and violating the zero tolerance policy.  His parents promised to be on the phone to the media as soon as they hung up from the lawyers office.  The school has since backed off.
 Sorry for the rant but DAMN, he used a word in a totally non-threatening way in response to an asshole teacher asking him what he got for Christmas.  How can somebody so stupid be expected to be able to teach a kid to reason and understand a thing??

edited for grammar, Lone
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, that is FUBAR!!!

Glad to hear your ex-gf had the sense to ask you to help instruct her son in the saftey and use of a gun. Two thumbs up to her.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
The only thing that will stop this shit is a few good lawsuits. Its what got us here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't like how the school is run, why not try getting on the school board and change things.  School board elections get a very tiny voter turn out and if someone actually puts together a campaign it's pretty easy to get elected.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:21:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you don't like how the school is run, why not try getting on the school board and change things.  School board elections get a very tiny voter turn out and if someone actually puts together a campaign it's pretty easy to get elected.
View Quote
(assuming appropriate whiney-assed voice) Yeah, but that would take up a lot of my [i]time![/i]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
[snip]
The teacher upon hearing the word "GUN" called the office, the police and principle showed up and removed him from class and forcing him to lie down, get searched and cuffed. They read him his rights and held the school in lockdown for two hours.
 They called his parents who confirmed he did indeed get a gun for Christmas and that is was not a crime to have a gun.  They said they would have to expel him for saying, "GUN" in school and violating the zero tolerance policy.  His parents promised to be on the phone to the media as soon as they hung up from the lawyers office.  The school has since backed off.
View Quote

They done that to my kid, they would face a lawsuit period, no if and or buts about it! [:(!]
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
School board elections get a very tiny voter turn out and if someone actually puts together a campaign it's pretty easy to get elected.
View Quote

Here in Washington, the only thing that matters is what position your name is put in on the ballot.

If you luck out and are the person listed at the top of that school board's race, you win.  Same goes for most judgeships, water boards, cemetary boards, and so on.

Nobody pays any attention whatsoever to the campaign;  they just get into the voting booth and say, "gee, I don't have a clue about who's running, so I'll just mark the first one."  The "independent thinkers" decide, "gee, I don't have a clue about who's running, so I'll just mark the second one."  If there are more than two people running, the ones after that get maybe 1% to 2% of the vote, mostly from friends and family. . . .
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Boy these school people have carried the PC to the max. Is there a rule that says you can't say the "G" word in school?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:17:26 PM EDT
[#9]
These schools also get freaked out over a kid bringing a cartridge to school.  So, if you want to mess with their heads(the school admin) get a brick of .22 shells and seed the entire school grounds with 'em.  Kids will be picking them up for months and bringing them to class.  This would cause much deserved havoc on these liberal swine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I, myself, have zero tolerance for zero tolerance policies.  And in this case, overreaction.

When the kids cannot understand the rules, the rules make no sense, and are applied in an unreasonable way, there is no way they can ever have respect for law or authority.  Well, maybe that is part of growing up now.

Like the little girl in Georgia, who had a little 2" keychain.  She was suspended and has to attend some sort of BS classes for having a weapon.  Well, first thing, the principal or whoever was responsible for that fiasco should have his ass kicked...oh, no, that is a felony.  
Notice how government has allowed its minions to do anything they want to the citizens, by cops, teachers, you name it.  And if there is even a threat of retaliation for unreasonalbe meaness, it is a felony.

Congress makes all sorts of laws, and the first thing they do is make themselves immune.

Laws are made for them, not us.

The tail wags the dog.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These schools also get freaked out over a kid bringing a cartridge to school.  So, if you want to mess with their heads(the school admin) get a brick of .22 shells and seed the entire school grounds with 'em.  Kids will be picking them up for months and bringing them to class.  This would cause much deserved havoc on these liberal swine.
View Quote

I wouldn't waste good money on 22LRs. Just go to your local range and pick up some empty steel-cased 7.62x39s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Back when I was in elementary school(a couple of days ago[;)] 1955)I took a P-38,45 auto,German bayonette and a German dress dagger some German moneyand some photos from Germany that my dad took.(Battle of the Bulge) to school for show and tell! [shock] It was approved by the pricipal and was kept in his office untill time for my turn. The items were passed around for all to fondle! No one died or was wounded nor was there any horse play. Hell, we got a paddling for stuff like that! What the hell has happened?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Back in "93" when I was a junior in high school.
I took my uncles 22 to shop class.  I re-blued the barrel and re-finished the stock. Several kids in my class did the same thing.  No one raised an eyebrow.
A few months ago one of the elementary kids got expelled for bringing a empty casing to school.
What a joke the schools have become.

There can be no justice when laws are absolute.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#14]
When my kids were in school, I would wrap presents for birthday parties, Christmas, etc. in empty ammo boxes. Noone said anything about it, but it was just one of my little rubs to the local school board.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Get that poor kid out of public school (or is it spelled shcol). He won't learn anything worthwhile there except how to be a fag, hate this country, hate capitalism, hate firearms, and need I continue. Of course he won't be able to express himself, because his vocabulary will be severly limited and his ability to read and write will be hampered as well. You got it, this is public school. But, at least he'll feel good, he just won't be able to express that.

Stick it to them, the public school system depends on student presence(daily) for revenue. Home school will result in a loss of revenue to the public travisty school system, as well as a young man with an education, morals, and a love for his country and all it stands for.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Something similar happen last year to my son. He and a friend would pass notes to each other between classes because they were in different classes. His friend said she had gone target shooting with her dad over the summer, and they had a small conversation about it in the notes. Someone saw one of the notes and the staff of the school was alerted. My ex had to go to the school and pick him up, and had to threaten the same tactics with the media to keep him from being suspended. All this because the note spoke about how the kids had gone target shooting WITH THEIR PARENTS![:(!]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Boy these school people have carried the PC to the max. Is there a rule that says you can't say the "G" word in school?
View Quote

Yes,  you can no longer use the words "God" in school.

Nor can you use the word "Gun"

But you [b]CAN[/b] use the word [b]"Gay" [/b]all you want.

Don't like public school??? then do what I've done for the past 16 years, homeschool.  ALL of my kids have been home schooled and none has ever attended a day, hour or minute in a public school.  We teach what we feel to be appropriate and correct, we set our own schedules, we go on vacation when we want, take a day off when we want etc.

Is it harder that putting them on the bus every day, you bet.  

Is it worth it? absolutly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:12:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:21:04 PM EDT
[#19]
My skool is good. Tehy make me smart.

Actually, in our school, talking about guns and hunting is rather common. No one cares unless they want to contribute somehow to the discussion. But that is schools here, back in South Carolina it was the same thing... Depends where you live I guess.

I hope xanadu teaches his kids to spell "absolutely" right.[:D]

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:30:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I hope xanadu teaches his kids to spell "absolutely" right.[:D]

View Quote

My wife is the teacher, I am the Principal, or is it Principle...I can never remember which. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Private schools aren't much better. The day of and after Columbine I was called to the office and searched, and so was my locker. The same thing happened on the aniversaries of Columbine, and when other school shootings happened. I did not fit the profile for the students who did these things. I did not hate anybody, when someone tried to push me around I would push back (i.e. not a victim), I was not overly popular but I wasn't a outcast either, and I never had any disciplinary problems at school (proving that there is something to be said for stealth). Those who knew me, even just in passing liked me, but people who never talked to me knew me as the "-insert name here-'s friend." Ask any of the faculty who they thought was a threat, and I wasn't even in the top forty. So why was I, and I alone, searched? [img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Wiggins/Coyote%203.jpg[/img]

Kyle
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
When i was in hight school it was not uncommon to see several rifles and shotguns in the gun racks in our trucks...  on a recent visit i asked if this was still the case...   It was not.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Back when I was in elementary school(a couple of days ago[;)] 1955)I took a P-38,45 auto,German bayonette and a German dress dagger some German moneyand some photos from Germany that my dad took.(Battle of the Bulge) to school for show and tell! [shock] It was approved by the pricipal and was kept in his office untill time for my turn. The items were passed around for all to fondle! No one died or was wounded nor was there any horse play. Hell, we got a paddling for stuff like that! What the hell has happened?
View Quote

I agree, times have really changed, people are really freaking paranoid. In the mid-60s,we had an indoor 25 yard rifle range where the school offered shooting for school credit, alast during the last "cultural revolution" the range was torn down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top