Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2002 6:25:08 AM EDT
Remember when Hillary Clinton needed to unify her base of support by appealing to the Puerto Rican population in New York?  

Remember the whole Vieques controversy?  

She used it to blast the US military for using a piece of uninhabited property in the Atlantic for aerial and naval bombardment practice.  The military was suppossed to be "sensitive" to the feelings of people who lived on the neighboring island, because on some days... when the wind was right... and you listened closely... you might be able to hear the explosions from the impact area.

Then after President Bush was elected the democrats used the Vieques issue to "test" him during his first few weeks in office.

Naturally he caved and training on Vieques was suspended.

Guess where they practice now?  Right here in sunny old Jacksonville, North Carolina!

Instead of shelling an unihabited island, they're now shelling an impact area a few miles from my house.

Now I'm not bringing this up to complain about training.  Our military needs to maintain their battle edge.

What I am commenting on is simply the irony.  

When we were shelling Vieques all of the liberals couldn't wait to register their disgust and the press was right there to amplify every idiocy that rolled off their lips.  But now that  shells are landing a few miles away from people's homes on the east coast we don't hear anything from Dan, Tom or Perky Katie.

Hmmm...

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
What do you expect from the land that banned assualt weapons, liberals and their news media allies?

I think the Peurto Ricans just want to make a poiint that you can't accidently kill one of its inhabitants, and we are not going to let you get away with it.  But you have got to remember being in the military can be dangerous, witness the small number training accidents.

Go tell Mrs. Clinton to go take a hike.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
warlord,

You're right.  But I also remember that a Marine wife was killed by an errant shell at Camp Lejeune a few years back.

I'm just a little "torqued-up" because my house has been shaking all day.  And wouldn't it be nice if there were an uninhabited island somewhere where we could train.
Link Posted: 1/23/2002 8:14:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Raise hell.  Call the press and have them come out to your yard and film.  Maybe they will eventually see the logic of having bombs fall on an inhabited island instead of near peoples houses.

Link Posted: 1/23/2002 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
But you aren't an oppressed minority.  So it's ok.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 2:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The Col's wife was killed on Lyman road, on base.  She was hit with the 2nd round of a 2 round mission with a 105mm.  She stopped when she saw the first round detonated, big mistake, the second round killed her. Her baby daughter was in a safety seat in the back of the car.

But other than that accident that happened in the 1980's their have been very few accidents at Camp Lejeune, none of their effects went off base.  The whole island of Vieques thing is funny, most people from PR don't care about it, but you have a violent separatist group that makes a lot of noise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top