Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2009 6:47:18 AM EDT
I sprayed 23% DEET Sunday on my boots and long pants and STILL got some chigger bites
on my ankles and calves.  What do you guys use on chigger bites to heal them and take
away the damn itching???

TIA,

AC
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Neosporin and Calamine.
As for healing, you've just got to wait... and wait and wait and wait and wait.
There's been a damn bumper crop of the things in the midwest this year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#2]
They will stop itching by tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
go stand in the ocean

not joking- came out of SOI with bites all over my legs- all my buddies were the same way..... squad leader took us down to the beach and had us PT in the ocean....

gone the next day

*edit* guess there's no oceans in kansas huh.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Anti perspirant.  

Not Deodorant, for some reason the ingredients in degree brand AP work like majic on those horrid bites.  The neat thing is it works within a matter of minutes, and between bouts of chigger misery, you can use it on your pits.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I sprayed 23% DEET Sunday on my boots and long pants and STILL got some chigger bites
on my ankles and calves.  What do you guys use on chigger bites to heal them and take
away the damn itching???

TIA,

AC

tuck your pants into your boots and/or use the deet on your skin.

For turkey and bow season I use a combination of tucked pants, deet spray and permanone spray (to repel ticks).

I forgot my sprays one day years ago and got mauled by ticks and mosquitoes, never again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Diesel fuel or kerosene will stop chiggers as well. Granted, that's an OLD school way of dealing with them, but it does work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:55:16 AM EDT
[#7]
In before the people who think that chiggers burrow under your skin and need to be "suffocated" with something like nail polish.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:56:49 AM EDT
[#8]
The chiggers are long gone by the time you feel anything...  Any action you take to deal with the 'bites' is simply to speed up the healing of the wound.  These actions are not getting rid of them because they are already gone...

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Once you have the bites, you're screwed.  Deet sucks, trust me, as someone who makes a living tromping around the woods.

Avon skin so soft, with permanone while tucking your pant leg into your socks is the only way to prevent them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Avon skin so soft, with permanone while tucking your pant leg into your socks is the only way to prevent them.

Interesting, deet is the only thing that works on my major tormentor: Mosquitos...
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting, deet is the only thing that works on my major tormentor: Mosquitos...

I've found deet to be down right  useless.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]

My parents went old school on me when I went camping in the woods...  clear nail polish and Benadryl.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Sprinkle some sulfur on ya!! My mom swears by it. Chiggers are attracted to her like bees are to honey and she doesn't have any problems while she has sulfur on her. She sprinkles it on where clothing fits tightly, i.e.: underwear band, socks, waistband, etc.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you are going against extensive testing, right...?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Benadryl topical spray works well for me.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#17]
In the future, wash/rinse your outdoor clothes with a little permethrin. You'll have to do the math to get the correct concentration or just buy the spray.

http://sectionhiker.com/2008/05/18/treating-your-clothes-with-permethrin/
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had excellent luck with OFF deep woods sprayed around my waist and inside my socks.
Chiggers are not insects, but tiny mites that are approximately 1/50 inch long. Even though they're hard to see, they can do plenty of damage if they attach to your body, leaving itchy, festering red welts.
Buy 100 percent sulfur powder at a pharmacy. Before heading outside, sprinkle some sulfur powder around your ankles, waist and underarms. This is remarkably effective against chiggers

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know you are going against extensive testing, right...?

I've done my own testing.  Perhaps bugs just like me because I'm so sweet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I think you are supposed to refer to them as "chegros" or "arachnid americans"
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Take a HOT bath and let your bitten extemeities soak as long as you can.   (if the chiggers have dug in that heat and water will make them want to leave).

Then liberally dab on Camphophenique which is both antiseptic and pain / itch stopper.  Also the camphor will take out any residual chiggers.

The Sea Water treatment is effective if you are close enough to the sea.  Also Epson Salt bath if you are not on the coast.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take a HOT bath and let your bitten extemeities soak as long as you can.   (if the chiggers have dug in that heat and water will make them want to leave).

Negative, you're wrong.  By the time "bites" appear, the chigger is long gone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Benadryl topical spray works well for me.

Stops the itch well.  I also use witch hazel to dry up the bites.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#24]
If you are really in an area with chiggers use knee high nylons under yer socks. If you really wanna go for the feeling good cause I am fancy look you can get stockings and garters but check your britches to ensure you can't see the garters. Others might now approve of your fancy underthings Spray DEET on them and the chiggers and ticks will avoid you. Surprisingly they also kinda help if you are on your feet walking around all day. We used to wear them out in the field in NC because chigger bites suck about 4 days in to a 3 week field Ex and suck more with each passing day.

The only time I got chiggers was in the bush as a Marine and the best we had was calamine lotion. And Motrin which according to the corpsman should be taken in large amounts for anything that ails you.

Leg blown off? Motrin
Sucking chest wound? Motrin
STDs? Motrin
Biological attack with a combo of Ebola, anthrax and hoof and mouth disease? Motrin

So for all the what do you suggest for XX XXX I say Motrin, WD40 and duct tape can make anything better.

Take motrin, spray some WD40 on chiggers and bites and put duct tape on them to keep them safe from your scratching. Then look at your car and see if those products can be used anywhere on it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:29:18 AM EDT
[#25]
In the jungles of Louisiana during the summer I use Ben's 100% DEET spray and it works very well in keeping them off. However, I usually get them once or twice a year down here when I don't spray or forget to. My remedy is to put a cup to two cups of Clorox in my bath water and soak in it awhile. I know most say that doesn't work, but it works great for me and others I know. Benadryl and Calamine for the itch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Regular mosquitoes repellents will repel chiggers. All brands are equally effective. Applying these products to exposed skin and around the edge of openings in your clothes, such as cuffs, waistbands, shirt fronts and boot tops, will force chiggers to cross the treated line get inside your clothes.

Unfortunately these repellents are only potent for two to three hours and must be reapplied frequently.

By far, the most effective and time proven repellent for chiggers is sulphur. Chiggers hate sulphur and definitely avoid it. Powdered sulphur, called sublimed sulphur or flowers of sulfur, is available through most pharmacies. Dust the powdered sulphur around the opening of your pants, socks and boots. If you plan to venture into a heavily infested area, powdered sulphur can be rubbed over the skin on your legs, arms and waist. Some people rub on a mixture of half talcum powder and half sulphur.

But a word of warning: sulphur has a strong odor. The combination of sulfur and sweat will make you unpleasant company for anyone who has not had the same treatment. Sulphur is also irritating to the skin of some people. If you have not used sulphur before, try it on a small area of your skin first.
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:34:29 AM EDT
[#27]
I grew up fishing and hunting in Texas, and chegroes were an unfortunate but prevalent part of the experience.

This is the only stuff I've ever found that reliably stops the itching:  http://hardtofindbrands.com/cf/Chigger_Tox-5340.html?search=&setback=1

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#28]

Nom nom nom
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#29]
I second the Sulphur powder prevention method. Put some in an old sock and pat it on your legs from the knee down and around your waist...it's always worked very well for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:42:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:42:35 AM EDT
[#31]
I vigorously rub the bite with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and then apply witch hazel to stop the itching.  When I was in the Army at Ft McClellan, AL, the troops going out for field exercises would apply a solution of Massengill powdered douche to their legs and never had any bites.  I wonder who figured that one out?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think you are supposed to refer to them as "chegros" or "arachnid americans"

Spits drink everywhere.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
away the damn itching???

TIA,

AC

cortizone shots. i am fairly allergic to those damn things.  they bite and it looks like i have some sort of open sore disease on my legs and arms for weeks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:10:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Taking a bath in Pine-Sol helps with the itching.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Your problem to begin with was just using 23% Deet, that just makes them mad.  Get the 100% little squirt bottle, that shit will keep them away. Good luck with the itching, those things suck.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a tick bite that STILL itches. Fucker must have lost its head in me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#37]
bleach in your bath water
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:23:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Taking a bath in Pine-Sol helps with the itching.

Holy shit! How much money in Pine-Sol does it take to fill up a bathtub?

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I've never heard of chiggers. Those things look nasty!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Too late to help now.

We always spray pant legs in deet and jump in the pool when we get back in from the field.  Never had any problems.  I think they disapprove of chlorine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#41]
The polite thing to call them is Chigroes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've never heard of chiggers. Those things look nasty!

Count yourself lucky, they suck bad!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Indeed. I was just about to post this.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:38:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Nail polish.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Indeed. I was just about to post this.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I just had a swarm attack of chiggers last saturday.  Had about 40 bites, put fingernail polish on them and they cant breath and die.  Was all gone in 24 hrs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:46:28 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Ironic timing.  I got about a dozen good bites while in northern TX hog hunting a week ago.  They suck!  While the itching isn't furious, the danged things seem to take forever to go away.

For me, afterbite, and benadryl seem to work well for the itching.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#50]

This stuff works!!!!
It’s the only thing that I have found that will effectively sooth the bites and keep you from scratching yourself raw.

Wally-World carries it here, so do most drug stores.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top