Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:34 PM EDT
I am taking my son to cooperstown to play in a baseball tournament next month and we are going to stay in New York City for a couple days. We are looking at the Marriott near Time Square but it's about 50 bucks a day to park there.  Holy Moses.

are there any decent hotels,  maybe farther out of town that we could stay in and then take the subway into town? Is taking the subway at night dangerous?

Marriott may still be G2G but maybe there is some hotels out farther that I can then tram/subway the family into the city to do stuff.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am taking my son to cooperstown to play in a baseball tournament next month and we are going to stay in New York City for a couple days. We are looking at the Marriott near Time Square but it's about 50 bucks a day to park there.  Holy Moses.

are there any decent hotels,  maybe farther out of town that we could stay in and then take the subway into town? Is taking the subway at night dangerous?

Only advice I can give you is that if you are staying in the city, always stay as high up as you can. You can save a few bucks on the ones that are only like three stories, but if you do, bring earplugs. Especially Manhattan.

I never took the subway when I was there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#2]
what is a good hotel to stay at in NYC close to a subway station? (reasonably affordable?)

A hotel in New Jersey?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Marriott Marquis? Holy Fucking Busy place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
marriott time square is the one we were looking at. will look at the marquis one.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
marriott time square is the one we were looking at. will look at the marquis one.

I meant busy as in annoying. Expensive too. I took my wife up there a year and a half ago. We stayed at a Wyndham near 5th Ave in Midtown. Didn't have a car though, so I can't help you on the parking.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#6]
When I had my wedding we put all of our out of town guests up at this place Pan American Hotel. My parents said it was a nice place and nobody had any complaints. It's just a few blocks from the subway on a major boulevard in a decent area with two big malls that are within walking distance. Theres also a great diner just a few blocks away.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Seems like it would be easier to park your car outside of town - or at least outside of the expensive parts - and retrieve it when it is time to leave, than to take the train in and out every day.

Also, look around for private parking garages even in the Times Square area - maybe the hotel is ripping you off.  Seems you could park for 20 dollars a day when I was there last, not even 6 years ago.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Try the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge.  It's on the Brooklyn side, there's a subway entrance right across the street (I think it's the Borough Hall station).  Jump on the subway, takes you right over to Manhattan.  

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
OK here's a hypothetical:

could I fly into JFK,  take the subway to Times Sqare
Walk around and /or taxi it for three days, including getting three people out to Yankee Stadium via Subway

then take Subway back to airport and rent car to drive to cooperstown?

the question is,  should I just skip the car the three days I'm in NYC? We really only need to get to 1) the yankees game and back.  I think that's in Brooklyn 2) Canal Street at some point (wife wants to shop for something) 3) who knows? what else should I go see?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:26:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Walk around and /or taxi it for three days, including getting three people out to Yankee Stadium via Subway

the question is,  should I just skip the car the three days I'm in NYC? We really only need to get to 1) the yankees game and back.  I think that's in Brooklyn 2) Canal Street at some point (wife wants to shop for something) 3) who knows? what else should I go see?

A car in NYC is more of a headache than it is worth, 90% of the time.

As for what else to see:  here's a good day trip: take the subway to Battery Park, take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty, come back, check out Ground Zero.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:27:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Go to the Cooperstown Diner while you're there.  And order a 1/2 lb. angus burger.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your hypothetical would work fine, except Yankee stadium is and always was in the Bronx!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your hypothetical would work fine, except Yankee stadium is and always was in the Bronx!

Right, I knew that part,  how hard is it to get from say Manhattan or Time Square to the Bronx via subway?  Should be pretty easy right?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right, I knew that part,  how hard is it to get from say Manhattan or Time Square to the Bronx via subway?  Should be pretty easy right?

Very much so.  Easier than any other means, actually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top