Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:20 PM EDT
ain't gonna make it.

That's right.  I got the feeling she was not on board with "surviving" and I finally asked her if she would be there if it happened.

Nope.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
What?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What?

+1
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine has emotional issues. She CANNOT deal with stress in every day life, I cannot imagine how bad she would be if a TEOTWAWKI situation happened.

GR
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?

+1

+2

There are many types of SHTF scenarios. Are you talknig Zombies, natural disasters, space aliens, Asteroid collision?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
so...she is going to bail on you? thats pretty shitty man

til death do you part
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the "I want to just sit back and take it" tards that think it sounds 'cool'. When looties are trashing the place or she is starving like a half-dead Ethiopian that attitude will change.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn....she is ready to give up....on a theoretical situation? Get her some professional help.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
In these uncertain times, incorporating a SHTF clause into wedding vows just makes good sense.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
so...she is going to bail on you? thats pretty shitty man

til death do you part

couldnt of said it better!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mine has emotional issues. She CANNOT deal with stress in every day life, I cannot imagine how bad she would be if a TEOTWAWKI situation happened.

GR

You'd be surprised.  I thought the same thing about my wife but she was a trooper when we hit a very rough patch.  Your wife is the result of 2 million (or 10 thousand) years of evolution.  Don't sell her short.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#11]
She's just going to get in the way if S does really HTF in the future. At this point it's too late to eject. She knows your plans, and your stashes/preps. You must maintain OPSEC. You must kill her. Now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Get rid of her. If you can't count on her when things get rough,...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
She's just going to get in the way if S does really HTF in the future. At this point it's too late to eject. She knows your plans, and your stashes/preps. You must maintain OPSEC. You must kill her. Now.

Yep.  Common sense dictates she must die.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

You'd be surprised.  I thought the same thing about my wife but she was a trooper when we hit a very rough patch.  Your wife is the result of 2 million (or 10 thousand) years of evolution.  Don't sell her short.

Thanks for the kind words but you have no idea....

GR
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What?

+1

+2
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Fatten her up and buy a lot of salt.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Tell her she can't leave she is part of the food supply.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds like the "I want to just sit back and take it" tards that think it sounds 'cool'. When looties are trashing the place or she is starving like a half-dead Ethiopian that attitude will change.

yeah...uhh.. sorta like that?  I guess?  Hard to get answers out of some people.  When we met I turned her onto guns and she has been amazing at her skills at the range / safety / etc.... but surviving?  Basically she said that she is entirely reliant upon me to do everything

I hesitated and asked if she would at least get me some water and she walked away... fuck
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
When the SHTF use her for barter.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't understand those people...

"If the world ends, I hope I die fast... I don't want to rebuild the planet."
LOL WUT?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Mine's a bit of a "freak outer" as well.
We've had a couple situations that got hairy; she straightened out and made it through with some stern direction.  
You need to maintain "Captain of the ship" status though. Give no indication that you may not have a plan or grip on the situation.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah...uhh.. sorta like that?  I guess?  Hard to get answers out of some people.  When we met I turned her onto guns and she has been amazing at her skills at the range / safety / etc.... but surviving?  Basically she said that she is entirely reliant upon me to do everything

I hesitated and asked if she would at least get me some water and she walked away... fuck

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

GR

my wife also has problems with everyday life, but when things get real shitty and the stress is on she somehow pulls it together and can deal with things you wouldn't imagine she could. its funny in the really stressfull situations she listens to everything i tell her to do, in normal life she has to argue about everything. i have no worries about my wife in a shtf situation, in fact we've talked and have a gameplane for different senarios.

i guess what im trying to say is some times pressure brings out the best in someone. if the shtf you and her both will be suprized on how much she can handle when she has to rely on her god given instincts and not the fear of rational thought.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

lol beat me by a bit.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Now your talking.....you can eat her and save your beans and spam for yourself.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

Thanks for the kind words but you have no idea....

GR

I don't know dude, a couple of months of breakdowns and realizing that whining doesn't help....she won't have a choice but to suck it up. Self preservation will kick in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

my wife also has problems with everyday life, but when things get real shitty and the stress is on she somehow pulls it together and can deal with things you wouldn't imagine she could. its funny in the really stressfull situations she listens to everything i tell her to do, in normal life she has to argue about everything. i have no worries about my wife in a shtf situation, in fact we've talked and have a gameplane for different senarios.

i guess what im trying to say is some times pressure brings out the best in someone. if the shtf you and her both will be suprized on how much she can handle when she has to rely on her god given instincts and not the fear of rational thought.

She might do OK if I am here to be  "Gunny Hartman" as I have had to do before, but if she is alone she's fucked.

GR
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yazuh...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine would survive, but damn she'd be miserable to be around.

We had the power out for about a day and a half a few months ago due to some electrical work done in the area.  TSHTF at my house. Damn.  Between the kids fighting and her stressing it was insane. No DVD's, cartoons, or TV for the kids. No facebook or errornet for the wife.  Her cell phone life line died because she doesn't have a car charger. I do so she used my phone to keep up with the "outside world".  They thought it was the end of the world.  I was minutes away from packing everyone up and going to a hotel when we got the power back.

I quickly realized that a generator should be high on my list of next purchases.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now your talking.....you can eat her and save your beans and spam for yourself.

The dog will be relieved also.  He gets bumped down a notch.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Easy there killer

She's an great wife but now shes admitted she can't live without me  Plus why drag a dead body that will walk itself into the grave?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#32]
That sucks dude.

Some people just don't have the fortitude to deal with the possibility that someday everything they take for granted can be taken away from them.

These are people who typically have never had to work for anything, they didn't grow up poor, and they aren't outdoor people.

They think that modern conviences are or should always be there for them, they are typically unrealistic and they only believe bad things happen to "other" people.

Your wife probably doesn't think she will make it because she has never had to test herself, she has never put herself in a situation where, when conviences are taken away she has been able to overcome or even prosper from the situation.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy there killer

You're right. Don't kill her. When the time comes - use her as a shield!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Yeah, if it is bunker time and she is flippin out, just boot her into the street and snatch up a couple hotties to take her place
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Some people will freak out at the first sign of a TEOTWAWKI it's normal for the average person. Teach her that being prepared will make it easier and maybe she will come around.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mine would survive, but damn she'd be miserable to be around.

We had the power out for about a day and a half a few months ago due to some electrical work done in the area.  TSHTF at my house. Damn.  Between the kids fighting and her stressing it was insane. No DVD's, cartoons, or TV for the kids. No facebook or errornet for the wife.  Her cell phone life line died because she doesn't have a car charger. I do so she used my phone to keep up with the "outside world".  They thought it was the end of the world.  I was minutes away from packing everyone up and going to a hotel when we got the power back.

I quickly realized that a generator should be high on my list of next purchases.

throw kids outside and command them to play, if older kids command they go find somewhere else to hang out. throw wife in bed room and keep her busy for a few hours. problem solved.

or buy books and read as a family by candel light. slap the first person who complains, good times.

but then again i'm an asshole.

your post reminds me of when my daughter was 5 and the  power was out, she was just so amazed that the toilet still woked! lol.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#37]
"Do you, Jane, take this man John, as your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, in shit hitting the fan?"
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Ya know... might be that she just has a huge amount of stress in her life right now and it's not something she can imagine handling.

Once all the everyday BS falls away and you lose that baggage, life does get easier / more simple.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Tell her you'll need her input on selecting her sister wives for the post-apocalyptic harem.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

GR

Mine was like that when she was younger.  It was always something, depression, anxiety, etc, etc.  I swear no day passed without a crisis.

But with age came toughness.  Now she pretty much deals with everything as it comes with as little fanfare as possible.  I would have been scared shitless trusting her with a gun when she was 30, but at 50 she's got an Taurus PT92, S&W Bodyguard revolver, a KT P32 and as soon as I can scrape up a decent lightweight upper, an AR.  

When the SHTF, she'll have her mags loaded and will be repelling borders.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Once all the everyday BS falls away and you lose that baggage, life does get easier / more simple.

I might have to disagree there. The most stressful work shit would never be any worse than having to stress about survival necessities.. IE.. food/water/illness

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"Do you, Jane, take this man John, as your lawfully wedded husband, in sickness and in health, in shit hitting the fan?"

HAHAHA!

this coupled with the "kill her now"

Makes me laugh my ass off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:17:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Hold on to her and use her as a decoy or bait for when SHTF. You never know...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Wow, sorry to hear that.

Makes me appreciate my wife so much more.  All I'll have to worry about is who gets the M855 and who gets the XM193...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GR

She might do OK if I am here to be  "Gunny Hartman" as I have had to do before, but if she is alone she's fucked.

GR

I thought my husband was the only one who played that sick little game!

I'm with Landlord on the idea of different kinds of stress. I worry about things like money and school up until the point that something really bad happens and then I'm happy and relaxed. Can't wait till hurricane season!

I feel the OP's pain, though. My Daddy refuses to keep any supplies on hand because he intends to die if SHTF. That's as retarded as friends saying "SHTF" I'm going to your house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#47]
She will be as useful to you as a boat anchor in the desert.  You will struggle to keep her afloat and she will drag you down.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
ain't gonna make it.

That's right.  I got the feeling she was not on board with "surviving" and I finally asked her if she would be there if it happened.

Nope.

I got good news and bad news for you.

The bad news first, cause I'm a no bullshit kinda guy:  If she doesn't get her head screwed on straight, you're going to have additional problems acting as a caretaker for her.

The good news is that there's going to be LOTS of good lookin', smart, tough and strong and, uh, "available" females out there seeking a "strong" guy with his head screwed on straight and food to eat if it's TEOTWAWKI.  They will be EAGER to please you and join your harem, be it a single cutie or a half-dozen of 'em.

Mine'll look like this, if you know what I mean...  

John
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm more worried about my wife not being able to take a life if someone is trying to take hers.  She's a fighter for sure.  If I lost her I would be inconsolable....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#50]
The cool thing about women is...there is always another one.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top