Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:12:56 AM EDT
I'm moving into a new apartment soon that allows pets.  The only problem is that they have to be under 15 lbs so I'm looking at smaller dog breeds that aren't foo-foo, ankle-biting, yippity shitheads.

The breeds I'm considering are the following, in order of preference:

-Scottish Terrier

-Welsh Corgi

-Sheltie

I'm open to other suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Boston Terrior
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Pekingese are playful, stupid as a bag of rocks, but will go with you to the end. Just keep the little fucker shaved down, and he/she will be good to go.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Jack Russel !!!! Bullet proof rat hunters!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Shelties are not good apartment dogs. I have two and they are going all the time.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Jack Russel !!!! Bullet proof rat hunters!!!![/quote]

Meth fueled weisels!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a toy Austrailian Sheperd..  (I know, I know an ex talked me into it)  

Awesome breed, don't bark much, don't really shed..  I think mine weigh's about 6 lbs..  They come bigger..

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meth fueled weisels!

LOL!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two Westies (West Highland Terriers). Great dogs, friendly, loyal, great with kids. But they are spirited too, and need to be shown who's boss from the start. Females are smaller than males. They tend to mellow out after about five years, but still jump to the littlest distractions (people walking by, animals, etc.). I would consider them good watch dogs. They like a lot of socializing and exercise. If you are someone who cages their dog during the workday a Westie is probabaly not for you. If someone is home during the day, your GTG.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I always thought if I were to get a small breed dog, it would be a Snauser. My grandma had two of them and they were awesome.

It's like a small dog, but not gay.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meth fueled weisels!

+1

My BIL and SIL had 2 and I wanted to punch them little fuckers. And I'm even a dog lover.

Too hyper.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Pugs.  They can't bark (well they can, but it's a muffled pathetic noise that your neighbors won't hear) and I'm pretty sure they couldn't successfully bite either.  My two year old could kick my pug across the room and it wouldn't care.  By far the least aggressive breed of dog I've ever encountered.  They typically don't get more than 15 to 20 pounds or so.  And they are so ugly that you can't help but like them because you feel so sorry for them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Jack Russel !!!! Bullet proof rat hunters!!!!

I've met quite a few of those little monsters.  They tend to be incredibly intelligent and absolutley fearless.  Although considering their size, the fearless part sometimes conflicts with the intelligent part.  I've seen a couple of them pick battles they simply have no hope of winning.

If I were to ever get a small dog, it would definitely be a JRT.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meth fueled weisels!

This.  The kids wanted a dog, the wife wanted something smaller, and I wanted something that was at least somewhat bad ass.  We got a JRT.

He's an awesome dog, extremely smart, hunts anything from birds to rabbits, and is very protective of the family.

Hyper as all hell, though.  I take him out running with me and he seems to have calmed down since then.  I think he'd do ok in an apartment, but you'd have to get him out and let him run daily.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Just get a cat instead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend a Shi Tzu.

I inherited one from my father and I have grown attached to it. It's just a stupid little ball of fur, but it is very loving, affectionate and playful.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:30:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Boston Terrior

great dogs, i get laughs everyday.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm moving into a new apartment soon that allows pets.  The only problem is that they have to be under 15 lbs so I'm looking at smaller dog breeds that aren't foo-foo, ankle-biting, yippity shitheads.

-Scottish Terrier

http://www.doggies.com/images-new/breed-guide-dog-photos/Scottish_Terrier_body.jpg

-Welsh Corgi

http://www.pups4sale.com.au/welsh_corgi_pembroke_03a.jpg

-Sheltie

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e326/berrycake_2909/sheltie-1.jpg

What do you want in a dog?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#18]
My parents had a yorkshire terrier and I dated a girl with one.

Awesome little dogs. Don't bark too much. My parents new yorky won't bite my nephew even when he drags him around the room by his whiskers.
Fearless, like most small dogs.

My parents first yorky would try and rough up their neighbors bull mastif when they would get to playing.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Scottish Terrier

http://www.doggies.com/images-new/breed-guide-dog-photos/Scottish_Terrier_body.jpg

-Welsh Corgi

-Sheltie

The same things everyone wants... good tempered, fairly easy to train, sociable, not too hyper, etc.

I'm pretty good at training dogs, so I'm not too worried about that aspect.  I plan to crate train the pup.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Awesome little dogs. Don't bark too much. My parents new yorky won't bite my nephew even when he drags him around the room by his whiskers.

My parents first yorky would try and rough up their neighbors bull mastif when they would get to playing.

The Yorkies I've met were way too timid.

Afraid of EVERYTHING.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just get a cat instead.

I would if my future roommate wasn't allergic and hates them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#22]
My Boston is great dog.  She is funny and does tear anything up.  They do not like to be left alone.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Scottish Terrier

-Welsh Corgi

-Sheltie

The same things everyone wants... good tempered, fairly easy to train, sociable, not too hyper, etc.

That's not what everyone wants.Based upon the post you are putting too much on the breed.The dog will own you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Miniature Schnauzer - great little dogs, good with our kids, doesn't demand a lot of attention, easy to train and lets me know when something or someone is around the house.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Pekingese are playful, stupid as a bag of rocks, but will go with you to the end. Just keep the little fucker shaved down, and he/she will be good to go.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/Pekingese.JPG

Those dogs are the fucking DEVIL. My wife has one, and before I even know her, it had over 8k worth of back surgry done, and right after I meet her, one of it's eye's had to be removed. It had already poped out 3 times before. So now it is a one eyed little fucker. It bights me every chance it gets, it'as always angry and pissed off. We used to use him as a weapon. You would hold him in one arm, then hit someone else in there arm, and he would attack them.

Said picture if asshole dog (I guess I would be pissed off if my wife made me put those stupid things on my head, why in the hell do woman dress up dogs?)
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#26]
French bulldogs
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#27]
We bought a Tibetan Terror Terrier a month ago and he's a riot.

HH
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That's not what everyone wants.Based upon the post you are putting too much on the breed.The dog will own you.

Please.

This aint my first rodeo.  I've trained plenty of dogs.

I know the breed isn't the main factor that determines a dog's behavior.  I was looking for suggestions on breeds I may not have thought of.  I'm not looking for an effortless pet... they don't exist.

Hell, I got a Jack Russell when I was 15 that has since become my parents' dog and she is the best dog I've ever seen.  None of the hyperness that I always hear about with JRT's, mainly because she was trained properly.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#29]
All of the shelties I've ever seen are way over 15 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I inherited one from my father and I have grown attached to it. It's just a stupid little ball of fur, but it is very loving, affectionate and playful.

My sister has one of these.  They love it and it seems like it would be a good apartment dog.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
All of the shelties I've ever seen are way over 15 pounds.

Well they aren't going to put the dog on a scale, so as long as it's close to the max weight, I'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please.

I know the breed isn't the main factor that determines a dog's behavior.  I was looking for suggestions on breeds I may not have thought of.  I'm not looking for an effortless pet... they don't exist.

Hell, I got a Jack Russell when I was 15 that has since become my parents' dog and she is the best dog I've ever seen.  None of the hyperness that I always hear about with JRT's, mainly because she was trained properly.

The sheltie in an apartment raised my flag.Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please.

The sheltie in an apartment raised my flag.Good luck.

Whatever dog I get will have daily walks and plenty of exercise.

I despise people who force their pet to be lethargic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Will the dog defend the bone, the beer, or the cigar first?Cute pup.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meth fueled weisels!

+1

My BIL and SIL had 2 and I wanted to punch them little fuckers. And I'm even a dog lover.

Too hyper.

Way too hyper!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#37]
My wife and I got a Havanese about 8 months ago.  He's a great dog and perfect for an apartment.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:10:39 AM EDT
[#38]
daschund
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Pugs.  Loving dogs and still small enough to be a lap dog.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mine is a great dog. Also attached to my Pomeranian.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#41]
My dachshund goes to sleep every night and prays that the SHTF the next day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#42]
I love shelties; family had several of them over the years.  NOT good apt dogs.  They need room to roam a bit and tend to get a bit yappy when a mosquito farts in the next county.  

Very smart though
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#43]
shelty is going to get too big for what you want.  
My wife can't handle bigger dogs for whatever reason so I did the compromise and got some fucking ankle biters. Well, I consider all small dogs ankle biters.  Anyway, One is half West Highland Terrier/ Mini poodle mix and the other one is a pure bred West Highland Terrier. They are both great dogs and have some interesting personalities.  The mutt will play fetch all damn day long and they are both fairly intellegent for being dogs.

The way our place used to be set up, the back door was out of the way and we could not see if they were sitting at the back door wanting out. She took 3 balls that have a bell inside of them (cat toy),tied them together and hung them from the door handle. She showed the westie  that if she wanted out she should hit the balls (making noise) and we would let her out.  It only took once.  It works well when we're not in the room.

they are both a hair under 15 pounds. The westie doesn't shed all that much. The poodle does somewhat, not like you would think though.  Both of them must be groomed like most terriers so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Yorkies I've met were way too timid.

Afraid of EVERYTHING.

We have a yorkie and he isn't afraid of anything.  Maybe its because he has been raised from a pup with my kids who love playing with him.  He doesn't yap unless the doorbell rings, or a stranger is in our backyard.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Boston Terriers are small and aren't terribly yappy. They act more like larger dogs in terms of their personality.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Boston Terriers are small and aren't terribly yappy. They act more like larger dogs in terms of their personality.

true. I think they look hillarious when they get all excited with their tongue hanging out jumping up and down for attention
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Corgi and Sheltie will probably end up over 15 lbs.  Scottish Terrier is not a bad idea, especially because they don't shed.  Corgis shed like crazy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#48]
I like the looks of the miniature pincher, although I don't know much about there personalities and temperament.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#49]
I would recommend a Boston Terrier after having one going on 2 years. She is an awesome little dog, and built like a tank.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't know much about Scotties because I've never had one, but always loved that cut.

I DO know about Welsh Corgis and Shelties though.

Shelties are great, loyal dogs, but they yap a LOT, they need activity and room to run. My mom's had one for 14 years now, he's getting older, but boy has he been a good dog. Herding is in the breed so if you have kids don't be surprised if the dog keeps the children in a nice little circle. (my mom's does this and it cracks me up. If you're standing around shooting the breeze, he just walks behind you or someone and gives this little nudge. Before you know it you're all in this tight circle and wondering how you got there. I doubt the breed would work well for you.

My brother and his wife have a Corgi and he is a really good dog. THIS is the dog I think you should take a look at. The dogs are cute, sturdy when obtained from a good breeder, and fairly intelligent. They were bred for hunting weasels if I remember right. He very rarely barks.

All 3 you listed shed though...

I am hamstrung by the wife. She only wants small dogs that don't shed, so we have a toy poodle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top