Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:39 AM EDT
I work as an engineer at a pretty large manufacturing company.  I've been a shop worker before...so it's not like I've just set behind a computer my entire life.

Every shop that I've ever worked at always seems to have several guys that reek of BO all the time. I mean at 7am before the shift even starts...you can smell them from a mile away. How do people do that??  Do people just not take showers and wash themselves??  I can only imagine what their homes must smell like. We have even had to fire guys because they smell so mad, other people can't even work around them.  

What is it with people that smell that bad all the time???
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you know what the president smells like?  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Try this...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
st smokycity

i notice that too, i think some people just cant smell themselves.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#4]
You realize you are insulting most of arfcom, right?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]
my supervisor did that to me once.

I got in his truck at fucking 7 am, and the odor was fucking ridiculous like holy fuck man.

I didnt say shit so i didnt piss him off though

i sorta rolled down  the window in 20 degree weather and said i was hot ^_^....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:21:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Just splash a little gasoline under your armpits.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps they are French?  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
No shower, I mean not like sometimes I got in late and forgot, like my lifestyle is against water and soap.  And if I do, then maybe I scorn deodorant.  I know the guys you are talking about.  You see 'em at walmart, and the bank, and even the gun store.  You smell 'em afore you see 'em.  And I am in the field everyday and I sweat my fatass off, so I know its not just sweat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#9]
It's more of a no deodorant thing, than not showering. I'll never understand it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's more of a no deodorant thing, than not showering. I'll never understand it.

You are not going to smell that bad at 7am just by not putting on deodorant........maybe by noon, but not first thing in the morning.

I think most of those guys just don't show....period! Or if they do, it's once a week or so.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Around here its the amish.......I dont know how their horses can stand to be around them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, when i worked in a shop i wouldn't shower before work because i would just end up getting filthy and sweaty and smelly anyway, no point in taking two showers a day.  I never noticed myself smelling nor was i ever told i smelled but I know one of my co-workers smelled so bad i had my fan pointed away from me towards him to blow the smell away.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
It's called speedstick, it ain't 'spensive!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

This.

You can cover a lot of sins just by keeping your pits clean (ask any backpacker) and covered in a good deodorant. The guys who reek from a mile away, simply aren't wearing enough (or any).

In rare cases, they have a medical condition of some sort.

Even after a good shower, you still need deodorant, or you'll be a stinky mofo in about an hour.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:39:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First thing I thought of too....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a few co-workers that have BO. The leather chairs and 350lbs bodies don't help their case.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just splash a little gasoline under your armpits.

I discovered that this hurts badly when working on a fuel pump.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I had to tell a guy straight out.  He was surprised and denied it.  Maybe he couldn't smell it, but the rest of us could tell if he had been in the room long after he left it.  He cured the problem eventually.  It took time.  If you let that shit go for too long, it takes a while to get the vidalia onion smell out of your skin and clothes.  Fucking nasty if you ask me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#19]
They don't fucking wash.

Mystery solved.

Case closed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably don't wash their clothes either.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They don't fucking wash.

Mystery solved.

Case closed.

This.  We have a guy at work who is pretty nasty about not being clean.
He would reek so bad that the Union and HR had to tell him to clean up or there would be discipline over it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]
What's even better is take that guy then mix in chain smoking, I'd rather have a conversation with a zombie then them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Our VP smokes and drinks like crazy. Holy shit, I can't stand being within 3 feet of the guy. And he wonders why he never has a girlfriend...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#24]
When you live in your parents basement why bother showering or washing your clothes...it's not like you will have company anyway.

That is my guess on why those people are that way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When you live in your parents basement why bother showering or washing your clothes...it's not like you will have company anyway.

That is my guess on why those people are that way.

ding ding ding

social complacency.

they've dropped out.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:45:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

ding ding ding

social complacency.

they've dropped out.

That's a wonderfully usable term
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Bacteria.  If you were to make the growth of bacteria in your pits inhibited, like using ordinary baking soda, odor stops.  Until it washes off.

You cannot wash them off.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#28]
They are always at the gun shows, too. It's disgusting.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Not Showering
Wearing dirty clothes
Diet
Drunks
Too fat to effectively wash themselves.

Luckily everyone I now work with bathe.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Whats worse than B.O.?

B.O. & "racing stripe undies".

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:00:38 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to work with a guy that always smelled like chicken noodle soup broth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:12:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Im alergic to most deoderants, soaps and clothing detergents.  The all break me out like a 13 yo chocoholic.  I can only use Ivory soap, no deoderant and very special detergants.  But I smoke and take 2 showers a day to keep the BO in line.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#33]
My husband is the sweatiest person I have ever met.  His face is always sweaty.  That said, he has never ever smelled bad.  His sweat smells good to me, it is actually sweet smelling.  The guys you are talking about must not wash for weeks because it has nothing to do with just regular ole sweat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:21:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Bacteria.  If you were to make the growth of bacteria in your pits inhibited, like using ordinary baking soda, odor stops.  Until it washes off.

I'm intrigued.. I'm OCD with deodorant.. I have at least one stick in my desk, purse, car, batroom at work, and the bathroom at home is littered with it..  My Mom told me I had BO once when I was about 11, and I've been this way ever since..  
My question is, what can I do with the baking soda??  Use it like after shower powder, or wash with it??  I've never heard of using it anywhere outside the mouth on the body..

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I have a few co-workers that have BO. The leather chairs and 350lbs bodies don't help their case.

It has nothing to do with being over weight.  Millions of people that are overweight do not smell.  You know why?  They bathe with soap and use deodorant.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#36]
You've never worked with Germans?

A lot of them would only shower once a week, wash their clothes once a week and wear the same work clothes the entire week.

I've met a few Americans who practice German hygiene but as a group, zee Germans are a stinky fucking lot.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It has nothing to do with being over weight.  Millions of people that are overweight do not smell.  You know why?  They bathe with soap and use deodorant.  

Yeah but when you get unwashed folds of fat.....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's called speedstick, it ain't 'spensive!

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#39]
He's from Kenya where they make their huts out of cowshit and have flies on their face 24/7, he's supposed to smell bad....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Cause they don't wash their cloths? Like coveralls or work shirts.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Excessive B.O. is how I find my seat on an airplane.  I always get stuck next to a fat stinky snoring guy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#42]
I have a friend who refuses to use deoderant because he says it puts harmful chemicals into your system.
He stinks.........
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#43]
I work in a cubicle-ville engineering office and there is a guy who looks clean, not over weight, dresses well, a very smart guy, but the stench that comes off of him makes my eyes water. It smells like he eats cabbage 24/7 and it is seeping from his pores. I think the worst part about it is that nobody else reacts to it. I don't get it, I can barely breathe by the guy, let alone have a conversation with him.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No? How about we experiment by scrubbing underarms with rubbing alcohol or H2O2 and see :P
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whats worse than B.O.?

B.O. & "racing stripe undies".

The Ol' Crew Chief

uhh don't get me started

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I work as an engineer at a pretty large manufacturing company.  I've been a shop worker before...so it's not like I've just set behind a computer my entire life.

Every shop that I've ever worked at always seems to have several guys that reek of BO all the time. I mean at 7am before the shift even starts...you can smell them from a mile away. How do people do that??  Do people just not take showers and wash themselves??  I can only imagine what their homes must smell like. We have even had to fire guys because they smell so mad, other people can't even work around them.  

What is it with people that smell that bad all the time???

Lots of times its just due to their diet.  Sometimes its their hygiene but lots of people just smell stonger then others.  It may also be hormonal or there maybe infections.

Hairier people smell more because the hairs will trap the smells, not to mention they may sweat more and is harder to keep clean.

They may not wash their clothing as often or change it as often as most.

In most cultures its pretty normal.  Not everyone likes to take showers everyday like Americans.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#47]
I've known guys that stank getting out of the shower.

I can't stand being around myself more than a day without a shower.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:45:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bacteria. If you were to make the growth of bacteria in your pits inhibited, like using ordinary baking soda, odor stops. Until it washes off.

No? How about we experiment by scrubbing underarms with rubbing alcohol or H2O2 and see :P

You are ASSUMING those will kill the bacteria.  They DO NOT.  But upping the pH to 8.5 works very well.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bacteria. If you were to make the growth of bacteria in your pits inhibited, like using ordinary baking soda, odor stops. Until it washes off.

I'm intrigued.. I'm OCD with deodorant.. I have at least one stick in my desk, purse, car, batroom at work, and the bathroom at home is littered with it.. My Mom told me I had BO once when I was about 11, and I've been this way ever since..

My question is, what can I do with the baking soda?? Use it like after shower powder, or wash with it?? I've never heard of using it anywhere outside the mouth on the body..

Like a powder, it sticks best to damp skin.  But it won't inhibit sweat so it drips off fast if you sweat like Brittany Spears in the front pew at a Baptist Revival.

Use with regular anti-perspirant for added punch.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top