User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 2:59:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It's called tyranny of the minority!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:16:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Don't believe it. Self-labeling that is misguided. People describing themselves as middle of the road moderate where a conservative would easily recognize them as being liberal in traditional terms. The description of the questioning is not defined. Were there questions included to test the respondent's veracity to their claims that would be hallmarks of classifying their bend (e.g. their stand on issues like abortion and gun rights)? After the last elections perhaps the left has redefined themselves as mainstream. IIRC Gallup has a shady reputation from the way they conduct their polls...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:19:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That's because some groups of liberals "say" they are conservative if they hate teh ghey or abortion. If there were as many "conservatives" as they say there are there would be more outrage at some of the things that have been going on since before the election. Like acorn, ayers, reverand wright, the bailout, the voter fraud, the media bias, the corruption of obama appointees,ect and so on.

There is no cut and dry liberal or conservative defintion so it's all rather subjective.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is people labeling themselves 'conservative' with no real thought in to what it means. My MIL thinks she's a conservative because she hates muslims and queers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a conservative, but if you crafted the categories with a few absolutes, I'd likely be put in that bucket...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I think the main issue is that conservatives base their views on principle.  Everyone has slightly different views, but conservatives generally won't overlook those enough to vote for someone they may disagree with.  For example, I didn't vote for John McCain because I didn't agree with many of his views.  For liberals, its all about power, not principle.  That's how Hillary Clinton was able to bash the shit out of Obama in the primaries, and then turn around and pronounce him the messiah.  We generally can't compromise enough to unite and win.  Therefore, one of our strengths is also our downfall.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]
It's always been that way. For some reason "conservative" is kind of acceptable, but "liberal" is basically a dirty word, even to a lot of dems.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's always been that way. For some reason "conservative" is kind of acceptable, but "liberal" is basically a dirty word, even to a lot of dems.

Dude, visit the west coast some time... "conservative" is far from okay most of the time, and "liberal" is a title worn proudly by many. I know where you're coming from, I've spend a lot of time in less liberal parts of the country, but depending on where you are "conservative" is plenty dirty (I think you can be arrested for calling yourself a conservative in Portland, OR).
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Remember, this election was more about people who voted against Republicans than voted for Obama. It was a backlash vote.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:43:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Lots of conservative folks that are congenital Democrats and will always pull that lever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top