Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 12:50:42 PM EDT
Hey,

From across the pond:

Who's a giant Pussy?  Obama...

The Obama administration's response to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's fraudulent election victory is cowardly, lily-livered and wrong. The White House's refusal to officially question the result or even condemn the brutal suppression of opposition protestors, is undermining America's standing as a global power, and is little more than a face-saving, cynical exercise in appeasement that will all end in tears.

Vice President Joe Biden, while expressing "some real doubt" about the election, summed up the administration's position on Sunday's Meet the Press - "we're going to withhold comment... I mean we're just waiting to see." Waiting to see what Mr. Biden? More savage beatings of opposition supporters including women? The further arrest of hundreds of opposition leaders? Even greater suppression of the press and free speech?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton basically said the same thing in a pathetic statement on Saturday, declaring "the United States has refrained from commenting on the election in Iran," while White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, who thinks nothing of savaging domestic opponents, meekly noted the administration was "impressed by the vigorous debate and enthusiasm this election generated."

As blood flows on the streets of Tehran, the United States government remains as silent as a Trappist Monk. It is highly embarrassing when even the German government is showing more backbone than the White House. In contrast, the Germans, who shamefully happen to be Europe's biggest exporters to Iran, strongly denounced the crackdown on protestors, as have a number of European governments. Foreign Minister Frank Walter Steinmeier condemned the "brutal actions" against demonstrators, and summoned the Iranian Ambassador to Berlin in protest.

Fortunately there are some U.S. politicians speaking out against the White House's position, including former presidential candidate Mitt Romney and Senator Joe Lieberman. As Romney put it on ABC's This Week, "what has occurred is that the election is a fraud, the results are inaccurate, and you're seeing a brutal repression of the people as they protest." Lieberman didn't mince his words when he declared "through intimidation, violence, manipulation and outright fraud, the Iranian regime has once again made a mockery of democracy and confirmed its repressive and dictatorial character."

It's about time the Obama administration dropped this ludicrous policy of "engagement" with Tehran, and started focusing on halting the rise of a nuclear-armed Iran, as well as building up America's defences in the face of a highly dangerous rogue regime. That includes moving forward with a global missile defence system as well as actually increasing defence spending instead of cutting it. It would also be wise for this administration to actually stand up for human rights rather than brushing them under the carpet when Iran, North Korea or China pops up.

Obama's deafening silence over the Iranian election is a disgrace. According to The New York Times, the president "did not even convene any high-level White House meetings or conference calls on Sunday". That's not the mark of a leader but a clear display of weakness. It's a sad day when the greatest power in the world withholds criticism of a brutal, tyrannical and illegitimate regime for fear of upsetting its rulers.

/end

Wish we could get some of that reporting over here...

Kevin ""
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If only more people here could see what others see so easily.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think cowardly applies as I don't think Obama is opposed to election fraud and vote intimidation. Look at his involvement with ACORN, also note that the Black Panther goons did not get prosecuted for voter intimidation at that poll station here in the USA.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]

All Obama has to do is spout some Hopenchange to the protesters.

It's right in his sweet spot.

Just read some platitude off the TOTUS and be done with it.

He can't even manage that.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]
He was elected with the help of voter fraud, it would be rather hypocritical to come out against it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
My anger over our total lack of response is impossible to put into words.  Thus far my family is safe, but I think they are close to joining in on the protest.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Love the red title.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
He probably called Mahmoud to get some pointers for 2012
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My anger over our total lack of response is impossible to put into words.  Thus far my family is safe, but I think they are close to joining in on the protest.

You have family over there?  My prayers are with them if you do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are saying it feels like the beginning of the end of the Shah felt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hope they participate in the protests and aren't harmed.

Good luck to them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to them.

I've wished them luck, too.  We've been trying to convince the elderly ones to get out of Tehran, but my grandmother is the most political one in my family.  She runs around at night (on brand-new, American made knees, lol) spray painting anti-mullah slogans on public walls and what not.  We shall see.  I just hope our people are doing what they can in the background to help them.  I wish our President would come out in support of the persian people.  But I also wish I could legally punch a hole above my selector switch...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:12:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to know what Jimmy Carter thinks of the election.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought the President and his merry crew of dipshits were going to be bad when they were elected, but I had no idea they were going to go from bad to a complete fucking disaster in this span of time.

They have no concept of the job they are supposed to be doing, the people they are dealing with internationally or the ramifications of their policies.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
They know they cant afford to say much becuase they are most likely planning to steal our next election. They are probably in contatct with the Iranians for pointers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought the President and his merry crew of dipshits were going to be bad when they were elected, but I had no idea they were going to go from bad to a complete fucking disaster in this span of time.

They have no concept of the job they are supposed to be doing, the people they are dealing with internationally or the ramifications of their policies.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]
BO was taking credit for the election results when it appeared the opposition might win.  Now I guess he thinks he spoke too soon.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#17]
On the one hand, NOTHING this inept administration does or doesn't do surprizes me any more.

On the other hand... EVERYTHING they do surprizes me with increasing amazement in just how BAD they really are at this little experiment they've been conducting.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't think cowardly applies as I don't think Obama is opposed to election fraud and vote intimidation. Look at his involvement with ACORN, also note that the Black Panther goons did not get prosecuted for voter intimidation at that poll station here in the USA.

Obama's taking notes.

TXL

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck to them.

I've wished them luck, too.  We've been trying to convince the elderly ones to get out of Tehran, but my grandmother is the most political one in my family.  She runs around at night (on brand-new, American made knees, lol) spray painting anti-mullah slogans on public walls and what not.  We shall see.  I just hope our people are doing what they can in the background to help them.  I wish our President would come out in support of the persian people.  But I also wish I could legally punch a hole above my selector switch...

+1!   Best of luck to your Family. God Bless
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, I am having a hard time coming to an opinion on this mess.  From the footage I saw this morning, some of the protesters appeared to not be protesting exclusively about the elction.  I saw signs in english about America and England.  I did see one sign that in portion mention inflation, so perhaps that was an election protest?

The other point of confusion for me is whether the protest is about this other candidate, or reform in a more global sense.  If all of the candidates where chosen by the ruling religious leaders, than one candidate is likley not much different the others, in terms of the final results.  I liken it to the Hillary supporters here who were "protesting" Obama's selection at the Convention.  From the republican perspective, it was more like pick your evil from evil or more evil.

Now if the current Administration can get a focus group of Iranians together to see what is really bugging them, they might be able to formulate an opinion.  Can'y be backing the wrong horse ya know........

Craig
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

For an effectively disarmed population shear numbers offer the only hope, they need to get out there now. Just tell them to stay away from the edges of the crowds and tell them many of us hope they are safe and successful.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I want to know what Jimmy Carter thinks of the election.

Speaking of big pussys.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]
What a fuck-tard.

The SOB could have (Based on all the ill-concieved "Star-Power" he's holding these days) a GIGANTIC, world-changing effect on events in Iran over the last few days but,........NOOOOOO.......

President "Community organizer" is going to piss a wonderful oppertunitty away and, at the same time, condemn the Iranian people (And the rest of the non-insane world) to the hideous future that we're all going to experience alot sooner than later I'm afraid

Go Israel!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Obama has ben so busy sucking global dick, he has yet to come to grips with the idea that the US is looked to for leadership.

He can't just follow a popular trend - he has to LEAD.  The other kids are waiting for him to make the first move - this is disconcerting for someone with no leadership creds.

C'mon "president of the Harvard Law Review "- show he world some leadership.

First North Korea, now Iran.

It's almost as if Bush knew what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:40:54 PM EDT
[#26]
There is an interesting article on the Stratfor Global Intelligence page that discusses the election...

www.stratfor.com

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:43:28 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

He was elected with the help of voter fraud, it would be rather hypocritical to come out against it.

He would have to do something about it in the US and it's not gonna happen
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:17:23 PM EDT
[#28]
The Surrender Monkey (or is that Cowardly Chimp?) can't say anything. That would be interfering in Muslim affairs. This is the new "enlightened" foreign policy after all. Statements or actions that might be misconstrued as interference are not allowed.

He is making this country a laughing stock. The clueless still worship him though.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#29]
He's sort of making it a habit to continually insult the british government, as well.

America's Bermuda Solution

In an escalating diplomatic row over the transfer of the former terrorist suspects, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton discussed the transfer with British Foreign Secretary David Miliband in what was said to be an uneasy conversation. Privately Whitehall officials accused America of treating Britain, with whom it is supposed to have a "special relationship", with barely disguised contempt.

One senior official said: "The Americans were fully aware of the foreign-policy understanding we have with Bermuda and they deliberately chose to ignore it. This is not the kind of behaviour one expects from an ally."

Article is a bit longer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite so. I believe NoBama is quite comfortable with such things, as long as the "correct" people are benefitting from it.

Very true, Obamas silence on the matter is affirmation of this.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:31:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Ya'll getting it wrong. Health care/welfare/nationalization here is much more important than North Korean nukes and Iranian regime change, plus he he shares a common enemy in Israel with Hilter edition II
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Obamalamadingdong wants to be Iran's friend that's why he doesn't want to rock any boats.

Reminds me of this loser
http://www.sww.w.szu.pl/postacie/post_alianci/chamberlain3.jpg

He should come out and denounce their election and back Mousavi..........but he wont

That is just what I was thinking!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#34]
We are minutes away from the kenyan and his teleprompter giving a speech on the Iranian elections, the problems will all be solved with hopenchange!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#35]
The Obama administration's response to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's fraudulent election victory

And there's where I stopped reading.  I assume that the Telegraph has actual proof that Ahmadinejad's victory was because of fraud and not because of overwhelming support amongst the rural population?
Edit: It's actually best if Obama doesn't say anything.  Either he comes out in favor of revolt, which has some nice consequences down the road, or he opposes it, which both encourages the protesters and undermines Ahmadinejad's base.  Best to wait, see what happens and then do something to twist the situation to our benefit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]
The kenyan is deeply troubled about the events, that is all.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Wouldn't surprise me if Barry assured Ahmenijihad that no US response would be forthcoming ahead of the elections.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top