Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:34 AM EDT
I got into BR's in September with my first purchase of a Stag 2T. I was happy as happy could be and went forth at a 110% pace. Buying all kind of stuff for it. Scope, trigger, mount's, ammo, ect. All I could think about was my AR. When I would go to the store I would look at the magazine racks to see what AR's were what and what else to buy. I joined the this forum to learn what I could. In February I bought my 2nd AR. My DDM4 and again went all crazy and bought all the things I wanted for it. Next was a WAHTF lower that I have completed but need a upper for it. In between December and January I had also purchased 2 XDm's a 9 and a 40 which I didn't play with as much as I did my AR's. In late February I was getting bored of going to the range and plinking so I got on line and looked up carbine classes which sounded great but for $200+ a class and cost of ammo it wasn't going to fit into my budget. Then as I was searching I came across IDPA. I decided to try it out and love it. Now my AR's are put away and my handguns are getting more use then my AR's ever did. I still want to finish my AR build but it isn't that important to me as it was when I first got in to BR's. I still love my AR's but I went from 110% to 20% in a matter of months. I guess it's the fact I haven't used my AR's other then at the range and until I find the money to hit up a carbine class or a 3 gun until then the BRD will be put away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...snip...

I still love my AR's but I went from 110% to 20% in a madder of months.

...snip...

That's udderly ridiculous.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

...snip...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:13:53 AM EDT
[#3]
That's a matter that I am madder about than you can utterly believe.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I smell cheap slightly used ARs coming onto the market in the near future.

Buy high, sell low!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#5]
That'll happen. I put three times as much ammo through my handguns compared to my rifles. Yesterday was the first time I shot my an AR and AK for at least  a month. I try to shoot my handguns at least once a week during summer though...
It's good to have some nice rifles, but I enjoy shooting handguns much more.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The passion fades, but the love burns strong.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#7]
take a carbine class which integrates the carbine with the pistol.

you will then begin to appreciate the capabilities of your carbine much more.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

...snip...

Got me
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
...snip...

...snip...

Got me

Just don't hastily sell anything.  Put them to the back of the safe.

You'll get fired-up to shoot them again.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you catch the ghey?

Does this picture excite you?

Honestly though, AR's want to be used like weapons.  You should use it like a weapon if you get the chance.  Take a class, or get some glass and see how far you can make that .223 go.  

The reason your interest has waned down to %20 is because you need to get out and stretch your AR legs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#11]
WE NEED 100 CC's OF COLT KOOLAIDE, STAT!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not surprised.  For most of us handgun skills are more important than rifle skills anyway.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:07:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised.  For most of us handgun skills are more important than rifle skills anyway.

Not arguing, but why do you think this?

I prefer precision rifle shooting it is much more fun to me and I have been with the AR type rifles for over 20 yrs so I get the waxing and waning of BRD.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
My shooting interests have changed so many times I've lost count.

It's normal, I think.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:12:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for coming out...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not arguing, but why do you think this?

I prefer precision rifle shooting it is much more fun to me and I have been with the AR type rifles for over 20 yrs so I get the waxing and waning of BRD.

I haven't figured out how to CCW my AR yet...

I have a pistol on or within arms reach 98% of the time.  If in the off chance something goes down, I will likely only have pistol handy to solve any problems.

This is why handgun skills are more important to me.  Is shooting an AR fun?  Yes.  Would I prefer an AR for a self-defence situation?  Yes.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#17]
It is fun to shoot my AR's but plinking at the range just gets boring. I' am not going to sell them, I' am just putting them away until I find a better use for them. Right now I put my first 1911 on lay-a-way. SA TRP. Just to get it out of my system and to say I finally have one. My money has now shifted to handguns.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The passion fades, but the love burns strong.

SOUNDS LIKE A MUSIC SAONG YA GOT THERE....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Why not use your AR at the IDPA matches instead??? Or start one yourself.

www.texastactical.net

I know you're not in TX, but this will help some.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I flip flop between fishing and Guns (ar15s).  One year its all about the fishing next is all about my ARs, alittle time away from your hobby never hurts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#21]
My BRD has been dormant for several years, except for a minor flareup recently that was remedied by some barrel threading and rail installation.

Most of my money is invested on the handgun side, and since I jumped into the high-end 1911 pool, things haven't been the same.

Plus, small rifle primers are even harder to find than pistol primers.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:53:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Why not sell the complete lower and Stag AR and use the money for a carbine class, instead of watching three rifles gather dust?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I have recently gotten a new strain of BRD.  Brown rifle disease after getting to handle a SCAR recently.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not sell the complete lower and Stag AR and use the money for a carbine class, instead of watching three rifles gather dust?

Good point but the Stag was my first AR and the complete lower is the first lower build I've ever done so it means something to me and the DDM4, well it's a DDM4 got to keep it
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#25]
It's just stuff.

Training, now that is forever.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:15:15 PM EDT
[#26]
carbine and pistol are best when used together, one compliments the other.....i love them so
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's just stuff.

Training, now that is forever.

As long as you stay current
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 12:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I shoot my pistol more in the winter months during IDPA/USPSA season, then summer rolls around and the AR and SKS get used when I can take them to the outdoor ranges
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#29]
My desire hasn't faded, but I've accepted that I can't afford it right now.

When I can, though, it's gonna be a 10.5-12" SBR, perhaps with a suppressor.  I'm thinking Larue Stealth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top