Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2009 7:19:08 AM EDT
The company I work for owns a field near where I work that has quite a few marijuana plants growing wild on it.  I asked my boss if we could get in trouble for it and he said we couldn't.  I asked him if he was 100% sure and he said he was, but it just doesn’t make sense to me.  I mean if someone was intentionally growing weed in a field I seriously doubt if they were busted the excuse of “it was growing wild” would fly.

So can my company get in trouble for having wild marijuana plants growing on a field they own?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get rid of them to be safe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
probably wild hemp or someone is growing a guerilla garden on your boss's property.

If it's a GG, the local Po-Po will be coming to your Boss for answers.

That's the unpredictable side for guerilla growers
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:21:02 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a big difference between wild and cultivated marijuana, the difference would be obvious.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
if you want to avoid any problems, call the cops and have them take care of them.  thats the only sure way to avoid trouble.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#5]
if it was my field i would destroy them. Since its not your property i would mind my own buisness. if the cops show up you can just tell them you told the boss about it. I would not worry to much.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn crap grows everywhere in Texas.  Usually close to roadside rest stops and high schools.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if you want to avoid any problems, call the cops and have them take care of them.  thats the only sure way to avoid trouble.

Oh yeah, involving the cops in your life is always a good idea.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:23:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like wild hemp.  I would spray it with Roundup or mow the area.

Don't invite the Man into your life.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
What is the difference in wild hemp and marijuana?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#10]
This here's a song about the wildwood flower...

Wildwood flower grew wild on the farm
And we never knowed what it was called
Some said it was a flower and some said it was a weed
I didn't give it much thought
One day I was out there talkin' to my brother
And I reached down for a weed to chew on
Things got fuzzy and things got blurry
And then ev'rything was gone
Didn't know what happened but I knew it beat the hell out of sniffing burlap

I come to and my brother was there and he said,
"What's wrong with your eyes?"
I said "I don't know, I was chewin' on the weed"
He said, "Let me give it a try"
We spent the rest of that day and most of that night tryin' to find my brother Bill
Caught up with him about six o'clock the next mornin'
Naked, singing on the windmill
He said he flew up there
I had to fly up and get him down
He was about half crazy

The very next day we picked a bunch of them weeds
And put 'em in the sun to dry
Then we mashed 'em up and we cleaned 'em off
Put 'em in the corn cob pot
Smokin' them wildwood flowers got to be a habit
We never seen no harm
We thought it was kind-a handy
Take a trip and never leave the farm
Big 'ole puff of that wildwood weed next thing you know you're just wand'ring 'round behind the little animals

All good things got to come to an end
It's the same with the wildwood weeds
One day this feller from Washington come by
And spied one and turned white as a sheet
And they dug and they burned and they burned and they dug and they killed all our cute little weeds
And then they drove away
We just smiled and waved... sittin' ther on that sack o' seeds
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The company I work for owns a field near where I work that has quite a few marijuana plants growing wild on it.  I asked my boss if we could get in trouble for it and he said we couldn't.  I asked him if he was 100% sure and he said he was, but it just doesn’t make sense to me.  I mean if someone was intentionally growing weed in a field I seriously doubt if they were busted the excuse of “it was growing wild” would fly.

So can my company get in trouble for having wild marijuana plants growing on a field they own?

Yes. Call the police to have them removed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sounds like wild hemp.  I would spray it with Roundup or mow the area.

Don't invite the Man into your life.

This

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

They are both members of the C. Sativa species.  Wild hemp is grown for its fiber, while cultivated marijuana has been bred for its psychoactive components.

Think dog.  Mutts and purebreds are both members of the same species, but are useful for different things.  It just takes a lot more care to produce a prize-winning purebred (and the puppies can bring a LOT more money.)  Difference is, you don't go to jail for breeding dogs...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#14]
There's a reason it's called "weed".. There's probably salvia, datura and Jimson weed out there somewhere too..
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

They are both members of the C. Sativa species.  Wild hemp is grown for its fiber, while cultivated marijuana has been bred for its psychoactive components.

Think dog.  Mutts and purebreds are both members of the same species, but are useful for different things.  It just takes a lot more care to produce a prize-winning purebred (and the puppies can bring a LOT more money.)  Difference is, you don't go to jail for breeding dogs...

Hemp won't get you high. It'll make you sick if you smoke it..........I hear........
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Remember this, "A little government goes a LONG way."

Bill
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]
It's ditchweed.  The only thing that it can do is make some people break out due to allergies.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend of my wife owns some rural land, and one day the police were out there.  We're talking LOTS of cop cars.  Apparently there were several hundred plants growing on their land, and they knew nothing about it.  The cops destroyed the plants and that was that.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, they'll "take care of them" by confiscating your land.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#20]
just burn the field to be safe.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#21]
You should pick it, dry it and smoke it to see if it is really Weed.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#22]
When I lived in South Dakota ditch weed grew all over the part of the state along with Iowa and Nebraska.  The only time I remember the police arresting someone for having it was the people from other states who came upon it and started harvesting it.

You can't get high from it and it used to be grown everywhere way back when for the hemp.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Is MJ, the product, the leaves or flower or both?  

Do the leaves have THC in them, or are they just extra stuff?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:34:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I would just stay away from them and look the other way when I'm around them. Maybe they belong to someone maybe they don't. Id just stay out of it if you don't own the land and hve nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Just chop the plants down.  End of story.

Unless you hit a trip wire, then it might be time for new shorts...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's a reason it's called "weed".. There's probably salvia, datura and Jimson weed out there somewhere too..

Datura Stramonium is Jimsonweed.  The hallucinogens it contains are extremely toxic.  You are just as likely to die as you are to get high.  The amounts required for psychoactive effect are dangerously close to the LD50.  It is also known for bad trips when it doesn't send you to the hospital.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

This makes me think of a Bugs Bunny cartoon where Tweety Pie is unscrewing the chandellier from inside the attic. Sylvester runs and gets a ladder and screwdriver to stop it because it's going to fall on the sleeping dog underneath. Just as he gets up on the ladder the last screw falls out and the light lands on the dog and of course, all the dog sees is the cat on a ladder with a screwdriver.

I can see the OP standing next to a huge pile of freshly harvested pot as the cops drive up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#28]
During WWII it was common for farmers to grow hemp for a fiber crop.  It still grows wild as a weed all over the midwest.  I have seen it all over the place in Kansas.

You could smoke 5 pounds of it and not get high.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:40:55 AM EDT
[#29]
IBATHMIJAWSBAD'ers

(In before all the Hey man its just a weed, stop being a dick'ers)

If I had one growing on my property, I'd get rid of it myself.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

During WWII it was common for farmers to grow hemp for a fiber crop.  It still grows wild as a weed all over the midwest.  I have seen it all over the place in Kansas.

Yup.  Hemp won't get you high no matter how much you might smoke.  But it looks like pot.  So it's illegal.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's usually the name given to the stuff that's sold, which is the flower of the plant. Leaves are usually trimmed off when harvested. While leaves do contain some THC, it's in much smaller quantities.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:47:21 AM EDT
[#32]
must be some Ron Paul supporters there............

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Company's property, most likely company's problem.  Of course there is the possibility of the cops being decent about it and realizing someone was growing it on the company's land.

I wouldn't take the chance and get rid of it.  If its not there then there is nothing to worry about
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's usually the name given to the stuff that's sold, which is the flower of the plant. Leaves are usually trimmed off when harvested. While leaves do contain some THC, it's in much smaller quantities.

Thanks, I always wondered that.

So, if the OP (or someone else with a similar situation) was caught hacking them down, it should be obvious that he isn't 'harvesting' a crop.  

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:53:15 AM EDT
[#35]
- in before the OP's boss gets arrested for growing dope b/c you decided to involve the cops...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Not your property... mind your own biz.   Getting the law involved can only cause problems... unless being "that guy" is your goal.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Leaves/buds are the part you want to smoke, stems also contain THC the resins contain the most THC.  The female plants are harvested and the male plants are destroyed so the female plants will have a higher THC content.

Hashish consists of the THC-rich resinous material of the cannabis plant, which is collected, dried, and then compressed into a variety of forms, such as balls, cakes, or cookie-like sheets. Pieces are then broken off, placed in pipes and smoked. The Middle East, North Africa, and Pakistan/Afghanistan are the main sources of hashish.

I've tested plenty of ditch weed with test kits the agency I worked for had in the 80's and the THC was not even high enough to register at all.

September 2, 2004 - Washington, DC, USA

Washington, DC: Approximately ninety-nine percent of all marijuana eradicated by the Drug Enforcement Administration's (DEA) Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program in 2003 was feral hemp-not cultivated marijuana, according to figures recently published online by the Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics.

According to the DEA data, of the estimated 247 million marijuana plants destroyed by law enforcement in 2003, more than 243 million were classified as "ditch weed," a term the agency uses to define "wild, scattered marijuana plants [with] no evidence of planting, fertilizing, or tending." Unlike cultivated marijuana, feral hemp contains virtually no detectable levels of THC, the psychoactive component in marijuana, and does not contribute to the black market marijuana trade.

NORML Foundation Executive Director Allen St. Pierre criticized the program for spending millions of taxpayers' dollars eradicating hemp. "Hemp is grown legally throughout most the Western world as a commercial crop for its fiber content, yet the US government is spending taxpayers' money to target and eradicate this same agricultural commodity," he said, noting that many of today's current hemp plots are remnants of US-government subsidized crops that existed prior to World War II. "Virtually all wild hemp goes unharvested and presents no legitimate threat to public safety. As such, it should be of no concern to the federal government or law enforcement."

According to DEA figures, Indiana led all 50 states in the volume of ditchweed eradicated, destroying more than 219 million plants. Oklahoma law enforcement eradicated some 10 million plants, and Missouri destroyed an estimated 4.5 million. More than half of all states failed to report their ditch weed totals.

California led all 50 states in the number of cultivated plants eradicated in 2003, with the DEA citing nearly 1.2 million plants destroyed.

Begun in 1979, the Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program allocates federal funds to law enforcement agencies in all 50 states for the purpose of uprooting marijuana. For 2003, DEA data indicates that 8,480 arrests were derived from law enforcement raiding over 34,000 outdoor plots, and over 2,600 indoor gardens.

Domestic Marijuana           Number of marijuana
Plant Eradication (2003)    plants eradicated
1.) California                   1,181,957
2.) Tennessee                 697,105
3.) Kentucky                   527, 775
4.) Hawaii                       392,422
5.) New York                   99,423
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-
46.) South Dakota            340
47.) Delaware                  200
48.) Vermont                   173
49.) Rhode Island             76
50.) Wyoming                  33

Domestic Hemp                  Number of hemp
Plant Eradication (2003)    plants eradicated
1.) Indiana                      219,124,925
2.) Oklahoma                   9,995,153
3.) Missouri                     4,489,850
4.) North Dakota              3,200,000
5.) Minnesota                  3,095,172

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll add a liitle more to this hemp falls under Sativa family of cannibus(sp?), it's grown for fiber because the resin is CTHC which has very little psychactive properties. . Marijuana can either be Sativa or Indica or a cross between both, THC is the main resin the plant secretes. Sativa generally grows faster and taller, usually lighter green in color with thinner longer leaves. Sativa can grow up to 16 feet tall. Indica doesn't grow as tall usually 6 feet max; has shorter, fatter leaves. Indicas are very dark green with almost a purple tint to them.

If the plants in question have longer thinner leaves, lighter green in color, growing in clumps; most likely it's wild hemp. If the plants are darker green with medium to thick "fingers" on the leaves, then most likely you have found someone's stash. Either way get rid of it. The government is the past have gone after people for cultivating weed when it was wild hemp growing on thier property.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's ditchweed. The only thing that it can do is make some people break out due to allergies.

And sadly, in some states, the ditchweed weed you'd have to smoke an ounce of just to get a headache will get you just as much prison time as the best hydro.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

It's ditchweed. The only thing that it can do is make some people break out due to allergies.

Sadly, in some states, that same ditchweed that you'd have to smoke an ounce of just to get a headache, will get you the same prison term as possessing the finest hydro.
Quoted:

Quoted:

During WWII it was common for farmers to grow hemp for a fiber crop. It still grows wild as a weed all over the midwest. I have seen it all over the place in Kansas.

Yup. Hemp won't get you high no matter how much you might smoke. But it looks like pot. So it's illegal.

It is pot. Same species (Cannibis Sativa.) Very low amount of the psychoactive ingredient.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll add a liitle more to this hemp falls under Sativa family of cannibus(sp?), it's grown for fiber because the resin is CTHC which has very little psychactive properties. . Marijuana can either be Sativa or Indica or a cross between both, THC is the main resin the plant secretes. Sativa generally grows faster and taller, usually lighter green in color with thinner longer leaves. Sativa can grow up to 16 feet tall. Indica doesn't grow as tall usually 6 feet max; has shorter, fatter leaves. Indicas are very dark green with almost a purple tint to them.

If the plants in question have longer thinner leaves, lighter green in color, growing in clumps; most likely it's wild hemp. If the plants are darker green with medium to thick "fingers" on the leaves, then most likely you have found someone's stash. Either way get rid of it. The government is the past have gone after people for cultivating weed when it was wild hemp growing on thier property.

just to add, there is a third strain called "ruderalis" (sp?) grown in se asia...short single stalk with fast grow cycle...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you want to avoid any problems, call the cops and have them take care of them. thats the only sure way to avoid trouble.

Ignore it and it will go away.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Call your nearest college-age-friend and have he and his buddies "eliminate" the problem for you.  I'm sure they'll take care of it with the upmost discreetness.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Datura and Jimson weed are the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:03:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I used to bowhunt in an area in Kansas where most of the underbrush in the wooded areas was hemp.  It would grow to about 10' tall and was a bitch to cut trails through to get to your tree stands.  They used to grow it as a cash crop and everyone from the area, including the LEO's, new about it and didn't care.

I'd say if it worries you that much get some Round-up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:53:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Ditchweed, best use for it was to get the local noxious weed department to give you some free roundup or tordon so you can keep it down.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Just cut it down with a weed eater, or give it a good dosing of Roundup.  Anyone with a brain who knows anything about pot, knows that you only harvest it in the fall.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you touch those you will be in violation of cultivating and possibly possession and in my state..One plant regardless of size equals one pound of MJ which equals a felony..

Best thing to do is confirm by visual inspection these are in fact some sort of spider grass and you were/Should

1Completely confused and in error in your assessment
2 not a DRE and never had any narcotic ID training
3 Delete this thread and MYOB..

Why do guys here always forget the Golden Rule!!!!

NEVER INVITE THE MAN INTO YOUR LIFE....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:12:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  I had always assumed that people smoked the leaves, like tobacco.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#50]
My grandfather has a couple of farms in Missouri. Both have an enormous amount of wild marijuana growing there.

It is not illegal. He spoke to the sheriff about it quite a few years back, and the sheriff suggested he burn it
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top