Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2009 4:37:20 AM EDT
This pretty well sums it up:

THANGS I LEARNT WILE LIVIN IN LUSIANA

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air.

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in LOUISIANA .

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in LOUISIANA plus a couple no one's seen before.

4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

5. 'Onced' and 'Twiced' are words.

6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic

8. People actually grow and eat okra.

9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO

10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper.

11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'

13. Jeet? is actually a phrase meaning 'Did you eat?'

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

YOU KNOW YOUR FROM LUSIANA IF:

1. You measure distance in minutes.

2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.

3. You use 'fix' as a verb. Example: 'I'm fixing to go to the store'.

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.

7. You carry jumper cables in your car...for your OWN car.

8. You only own five spices: Tony's, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and ketchup.

9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports.

10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.

12. You know all four seasons: Deer Season, Duck Season, Crawfish Season, Summer.

13. You know whether another LOUISIANIAN is from, north or south, as soon as they start talking.

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin Wal-martin' or 'off to Wally World'?

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather.  YEP!

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

18. We don't need no stinkin driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Some of that stuff is funny, and some of it applies all across the south.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:11:07 AM EDT
[#2]
All of my ex-in laws are in Louisiana.
All of that is true.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds alot like NC.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Some of that stuff is funny, and some of it applies all across the south.

Yep

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:38:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I bet you ain't from here. Am I right?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Most of that applies to Oklahoma
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:55:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Most of this stuff is from the whole Southeastern US

Quoted:

9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO

It is Fixing and to = fixinto

More frequently it's jeetyet for 'did you eat yet?"

Or hours, days too.  My parents live a day away.

Fix is a verb, as in "I'm going to fix that yankee bastard." 'I'm fixing to go to the store" should be "I'm fixin't'go to the store." It replaces 'going to'

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.

You need to check out blues fest.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is.

As long as that refers to a four legged best friend it's okay... if it refers to another human being, or a mullet wearing bounty hunter it's gay.

Duh, yankees and soccer moms that leave their lights on piss me off making me dig out my own cables, you should have the shit hooked up when I come to give you a jump!

18. We don't need no stinkin driver's ed....if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.

Actually, Louisiana has the highest percentage of shitty drivers I have ever seen on the contiguous United States.  I can literally pick coon ass driver out well before they zoom past me on the interstate OR I have to swerve my way around them.  So this one IS true and applies only to LA.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:01:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Fudge you!  What've you got against okra?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
All that may be true, but we're a hell of a lot friendlier than them yankees!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I gotta say, this is not MY original material. I received it in an email. Been living in Louisiana since the age of 3. I'm 41 now, so I guess I CAN say I'm from here.
   One thing I would have added is that we don't know what a median is (to seprate lanes of traffic); over here it is called the neutral ground.
Okra.......love it. stewed, in gumbo, or battered and fried. Mmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:14:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Multiple reasons why I love living in the Ark-la-tex-oma region! My favorite thing a local has said to me is " You ain't got no accent. Where ya from Australia?"
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Some of that does not apply to Louisiana at all.  A lot of it applies to the south in general.

As an example, I don't know a single soul who says, "Lusiana."  That's what people from out of state say call Louisiana, much like they call New Orleans, 'Nawlins.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some of that does not apply to Louisiana at all.  A lot of it applies to the south in general.

As an example, I don't know a single soul who says, "Lusiana."  That's what people from out of state say call Louisiana, much like they call New Orleans, 'Nawlins.

Yep, except, my grandfather insists it's pronounced "Lew-see-ana."

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:46:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I was stationed at Fort Polk for 5 years and loved every minuet of it, I would move back there or Texas. My wife thinks I am nuts.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fudge you!  What've you got against okra?

It is an abomination?

Bite yer tongue.  Come down and join us for some fried okra and catfish and we'll change your tune.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:10:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I Grow my Own.
Nothing better that picking a young okra off the bush and eating it on the spot...
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:11:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I loved living in Louisiana, and thats coming from a California boy, One thing I did notice when I first arrived in Lafayette was how hot all the chicks were, I've lived in WA for the last three years, and LA has hotter women by far.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was stationed at Fort Polk for 5 years and loved every minuet of it, I would move back there or Texas. My wife thinks I am nuts.

That wife of yours ain't quite right.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#20]
19. You carry your Tobasco in a camo tobasco holster on your belt.
20. You consider the Holy Trinity to be bell pepper, onion, and celery.
21. When someone mentions 'water bugs' you salivate.
22. You drink Community Coffee but serve your guests Maxwell House.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Most of that list applies to any part of the south east or almost any rural part of America, sounds like it was made by a northern urban transplant...

This pretty well sums it up:

THANGS I LEARNT WILE LIVIN IN LUSIANA

1. Possums sleep in the middle of the road with their feet in the air. dead ones

2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 live in LOUISIANA. Snakes are OK they serve a purpose and some can be tasty, Men aren't frightened of them.  

3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 live in LOUISIANA plus a couple no one's seen before. Spiders are OK they serve a purpose, Men aren't frightened of them.

4. If it grows, it sticks; if it crawls, it bites.

5. 'Onced' and 'Twiced' are words. only in northern LA

6. It is not a shopping cart; it is a buggy.

7. Fire ants consider your flesh as a picnic Louisiana has nothing on Texas in the Fire Ant department

8. People actually grow and eat okra.

9. Fix & into is one word: FIXINTO Fixing to

10. There is no such thing as 'lunch'. There is only dinner and then there is supper. We have lunch and dinner

11. Ice tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar!

12. Backards and forwards means 'I know everything about you.'

14. You don't have to wear a watch because it doesn't matter what time it is. You work until you're done or it's too dark to see.

15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH them.

2. You've ever had to switch from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day.

4. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal. Don't forget Jazz & Herritage, Wooden Boat, Celtic, Highland Games, Jambalaya, Gumbo...

5. You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked.

6. You know what a 'DAWG' is. Georgia Fan?   or is this a reference to the spread of ebonics

8. You only own five spices: Tony's, Tabasco, salt, pepper, and ketchup. Don't know much about Louisiana cooking eh...

9. The local papers cover national and international news on one page but require 6 pages for local gossip and sports. No idea what news paper they mean here

10. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.

11. You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit 'a little warm'.

12. You know all four seasons: Deer Season, Duck Season, Crawfish Season, Summer.

13. You know whether another LOUISIANIAN is from, north or south, as soon as they start talking.

14. Going to Wal-mart is a favorite past time known as 'goin Wal-martin' or 'off to Wally World'?

15. You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as good gumbo weather. YEP!

16. A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop...it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor.
Example: 'What kinda coke you want?'

17. Fried catfish is the other white meat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top