Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/13/2009 10:19:43 AM EDT
Anyone ever shoot off a boat in open water like the Gulf of Mexico or Other places? Plan on deep sea fishing out of Galveston this summer.. Thought it would be pretty fun if legal, unsure what the gun laws are in Texas concerning vessels..

What would be a good target that is sink resistant once it gets a few hundered bullet holes in it? Thinking some type of styrofoam
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#1]
How about styrofoam??? Just a thought.

Oh, damn.......... In on one in a matter of seconds...........
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How about styrofoam??? Just a thought.

We crossed each other as I edited..Thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
just dont shoot the boat
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:22:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I personally wouldnt waste the ammo because I prefer shooting from a solid, non moving platform.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Very slick... i see what you did there.

in before boating "accident"
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Styrofoam coolers.

maybe you make a target stand using an inner tube and some PVC.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I bet Tannerite bottles would float........
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:24:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot off the back of the USS Essex.  Ive even got a pic somewhere of me shooting a m203 off the back at some trash.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:27:33 AM EDT
[#9]
we would try and shoot the flying fish as they flew out of the water with a shotgun.  only can be done on a flat day.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoot skeet al the time when the fish aren't biting. Sometimes a little pistol practice if the water is calm.  You should see people's faces when they realize that contraption on the gunnel is a trap launcher.  

Fired MANY a brick of .22 off of the boat. Those little green Freon tanks make great targets. They never sink and make a loud "clank"  when struck.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I use a 65 gallon cooler filled with dead hookers for a target.  

Tracers make it more fun!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I would propose the sealed plastic styro cooler (glued lid). It wouldn't go apart that quickly and still float filled with water making target smaller
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

65 gallons of hookers, on fire for the win!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#14]

We used to duct tape a smoke float to a 55gal drum and poke holes in it with M14s, M16s, M2s and some big fucker (maybe a 20mm?)  good times, but probably doesn't help you at all.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I am truly not an enviro-nazi-greenie but why dump a bunch of styrofoam out there?

We used to bust pumpkins at the lake when I was young.  They just go away when they rot or become fish food.

That being said, tannerite targets would be fun!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:47:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I am truly not an enviro-nazi-greenie but why dump a bunch of styrofoam out there?

We used to bust pumpkins at the lake when I was young.  They just go away when they rot or become fish food.

Styrofoam helps soak up the oil and tar in the Gulf of Mexico. Also, some of the jellyfish choke on it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I personally wouldnt waste the ammo because I prefer shooting from a solid, non moving platform.

But he will be able to hit said targets when needed after this "practice"  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Plugs whale holes.

I was golfing one time hitting golf balls in the ocean when I seen a whale...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I think its illegal to carry on Texas lakes, not sure though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 10:59:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I bet Tannerite bottles would float........

Oooh.... I want pics!
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't shoot the Cubans...
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By

Really?  I've seen people duckhunt off boats.  Don't think TX law would apply deep sea anyway

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#24]
i tried taking my guns out to sea so i could see if i could shoot, i hit a wave as big as me about the size of a tree and all my gun slid down like they were on a chute, now davie jones has some mighty fine loot.

poet i am not
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Originally Posted By

Really?  I've seen people duckhunt off boats.  Don't think TX law would apply deep sea anyway

Depends on what lakes. Most have an exception for hunting.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Make sure you have a very large safe area behind the target.

Bullets can skip on water and go many miles.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This would be my main concern.  How can you set up a backstop, designated range area, etc?  Someone might cross in to your path and get shot.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like fun.  I am sure legality really shouldn't be an issue in the middle of the ocean.  Well, the lead from the bullets might kill the Blue Whale.  Don't be suprise if the Sea Shepherd Comes out of no where and rams your ass.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plugs whale holes.

I was golfing one time hitting golf balls in the ocean when I seen a whale...

..he was having trouble .  I went up to him and I said "Easy Big Fella!".........

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yea, OK..

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I agree.  Shooting ranges everywhere are junky dumps.  Why pour a bunch of trash in the ocean?  Something decomposeable would be better

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

So make sure you shoot towards Cuba

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#33]
I have heard that african pirates make good ocean targets.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Friends and I used to do it all the time back in the smaller inland canals. We always made sure of our point of aim though. That was 20+ years ago though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Jet skiers... Use a paintball gun though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#36]

I've often fantasized about shooting the bastards that jump but won't hit on anything I've offered them.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#37]
If I legally owned a Mk43 mod 1 do you think the USCG would have a problem if I was to say mount the gun on the front of my Whaler? I think it would be great fun to go shooting the 60 off the front of my Whaler. In order to get out of my Harbor I have to motor by their base. Should I put a sign up that says it is a transferrable machine gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:02:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This would be my main concern.  How can you set up a backstop, designated range area, etc?  Someone might cross in to your path and get shot.

Have yall ever been on the open ocean?

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:05:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I have heard that african pirates,  Sea Shepherd, PETA & Green Peace make good ocean targets.  

Just a slight edit.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have heard that african pirates,  Sea Shepherd, PETA & Green Peace make good ocean targets.  

Just a slight edit.

LOL nice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Shotgunning at a flying target with a relatively predictable trajectory is do-able.  Shooting at randomly moving small targets from a randomly moving boat in any kind of a seway will be a frustrating experience.

If you'll pardon the expression, "Whatever floats your boat." but it isn't going to be that much fun unless you are in a close to dead flat calm.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shotgunning at a flying target with a relatively predictable trajectory is do-able.  Shooting at randomly moving small targets from a randomly moving boat in any kind of a seway will be a frustrating experience.

If you'll pardon the expression, "Whatever floats your boat." but it isn't going to be that much fun unless you are in a close to dead flat calm.

In others words you will not hit shit, it very hard.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd think a foam cooler would just break apart into lots of littlle pieces in short order.

I'd get an old nerf football or slice up one of those pool noodles into a 1-2 foot long lengths.   They would float, and would probably react when hit, as well as staying together better than a foam cooler.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:18:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Find and old refrigerator door.  They float forever and will hold together longer than coolers.   I used an axe to pop some holes into it to tie recovery on ropes.   We used barrels for many years but once the order came that we had to shoot only new/clean barrels we found doors were easier to store during the patrols and were simple to pick up.  

Tie a few together for a long range shooting, .50 cal and MK38.   1500/2000+ yards.   For close stuff you can set it up like a raft, screw a few 2x4 on it and hang IDPA targets from the wood poles.    High speed runs with a timer and real scoring from smaller boats such as your whaler.  

Make sure you have a radar to see further than your line of sight, things could get ugly quickly otherwise.   The area must me clear, air and surface!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

too much trouble to stuff dead hookers into coolers, I just use dolphins as targets after we lure them close to the boat! and of course the occasional recreational boater if they veer too close!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:16:34 AM EDT
[#46]
It is against international law to discharge plastics into the ocean at any distance from shore.

If you must do this, and can accomplish a safe downrange, and are at least 25 miles offshore, use organic or metal items only (and metal is generlaly out for shooting due to ricochet risk).

Try pumpkins or wood pulp based materials, or sporting clays.

(chart below is published by California, but the laws are not state laws, they are international laws and apply to the oceans)

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Anyone ever shoot off a boat in open water like the Gulf of Mexico or Other places? Friend of a friend is taking us deep sea fishing out of Galveston this summer.. Thought it would be pretty fun if legal, unsure what the gun laws are in Texas concerning vessels..
What would be a good target that is sink resistant once it gets a few hundered bullet holes in it? Thinking some type of styrofoam

That Gulf of Mexico bit made me nervous.
They DO NOT like guns over there. Well they seem to like theirs, but they definitely do not like YOURS.
It is one of those places in the world that if you have a boat and firearms that you toss whatever you have overboard before hit 20 Nm of the coast. Do not even consider hiding your firearms either, they will find it and they will not only impound your boat, but toss you in Mexican Jail for weeks while they are stripping it clean. So in other words do not even think about target shooting off your bow near the Gulf of Mexico seriously.
As for target practice. I would just grab a bright Red Anchor buoy from West Marine. Those things will take all kinds of abuse.

Edit: Forgot to mention. Concerning Gun laws. If it is US territorial waters. The Gun laws apply to which state your vessel is registered with. So if you are coming out of FL, you need to have all of your FL paperwork handy. I would also recommend having a notarized document stating you firearms and amount of ammunition aboard.

You should research yourself about the laws that apply to wher eyou are traveling of course.

Here is a good start.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:37:09 AM EDT
[#48]
life jacket + Mother-in-law = win
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, OK..

He's right, dude.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:41:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
As for target practice. I would just grab a bright Red Anchor buoy from West Marine. Those things will take all kinds of abuse.
Just make sure you've got a line tied to it so you can reel it back in when you're done.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top