Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 3:52:27 PM EDT
and NO, I don't have any pics....but it did happen.

So I take my two boys to the pool this afternoon (4 yr old and 18 mo) for some fun, when someone's 3 year old takes a stroll right to the bottom of the pool whilst noone but myself is watching, except some lady,  (who turned out to be a relative) sunning herself on a flat chair nearby.  She barely lifted her head to make a move towards the girl as I swam over and snatched her off the bottom.

OF COURSE, out of eight other "adults" there, I am the only one at the pool who has not had a six pack of beer in them.  I was also the only one without at least one piercing, tattoo or gold rope chain.  Not that those things should matter, but I'm just sayin'......At the time, there were probably six or eight other kids of similar age in the pool.

So, I pull her up and someone who I guessed to be Dad, swims across the pool to get her and says "Dang, that girl is crazy" or something to that effect.

God HELP us.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Good on you for being observant.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope the 3 year old is ok.

People are stupid when it comes to any kind of pool that's not a backyard pool.  I was at an indoor hotel pool/hot tub in Kenosha, WI last year with my family.

We go there about 6:00 PM and there's a 3 year old and about a 7 year old in the hot tub(there's not supposed to be anyone in the hot tub under 12, the sign stated, IIRC), and there are "parents" bringing in booze to the pool.  Not permitted and not safe at all.  I was taught properly how to behave at a public pool, hotel pool, etc.  You follow the establishment's rules, you don't run on the pool deck, you get in properly, you get out properly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

People are stupid when it comes to any kind of pool that's not a backyard pool.  I was at an indoor hotel pool/hot tub in Kenosha, WI last year with my family.

We go there about 6:00 PM and there's a 3 year old and about a 7 year old in the hot tub(there's not supposed to be anyone in the hot tub under 12, the sign stated, IIRC), and there are "parents" bringing in booze to the pool.  Not permitted and not safe at all.

That's what I don't get with these folks.....booze, pools, and toddlers=dead toddlers alot of times.  Maybe they learned something...
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Without any interference, it's a self correcting problem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:10:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Too bad so many kids get hurt by dumbass behavior like this.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:12:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We go there about 6:00 PM and there's a 3 year old and about a 7 year old in the hot tub(there's not supposed to be anyone in the hot tub under 12, the sign stated, IIRC), and there are "parents" bringing in booze to the pool.  Not permitted and not safe at all.

That's what I don't get with these folks.....booze, pools, and toddlers=dead toddlers alot of times.  Maybe they learned something...

Nobody got hurt, thank God.  We told the hotel staff, unfortunately there's not much they could do.  Also, with hotel pools(except for waterpark hotel pools) there are no lifeguards.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this run by a park district? IIRC they don't allow alcohol.  I don't even think the waterparks around here allow alcohol.

Where are the lifeguards?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this run by a park district? IIRC they don't allow alcohol.  I don't even think the waterparks around here allow alcohol.

Nah...this is a neighborhood pool owned and maintained by the HOA.  There's a rules sign posted...no mention of alcohol consumption on pool premises.  I'm thinking of doing something about this now.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job being attentive

All you can do is hope the parents learn and Darwin doesn't penalize a little kid
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe thats what they mean by "It takes a village to raise a child"?  
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Maybe thats what they mean by "It takes a village to raise a child"?  

Could be....since alot of the village is still lost in childhood themselves.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nah...this is a neighborhood pool owned and maintained by the HOA.  There's a rules sign posted...no mention of alcohol consumption on pool premises.  I'm thinking of doing something about this now.

Go to the next meeting and complain.  LOTS.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go to the next meeting and complain.  LOTS.

Will do....
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:25:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Same reason fish lay so many eggs.........
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I don't get with these folks.....booze, pools, and toddlers=dead toddlers alot of times.  Maybe they learned something...[/quote]

HA!.....yeah right.

well, at least you did something responsible.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#17]
My folks had a pool before I was born-they made sure I learned to swim at a very early age. When I was about 7, my cousin Jessica fell into the pool without her floaties on-she was about 3. I dove in and pulled her out before she even sank. People don't realize that it really doesn't take long for a little kid to drown. Unfortunately, those same fucking window lickers don't realize that their kid will die if they leave them in the car in the summer time..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:36:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Parents these days - they just shouldn't have kids.  Sad really!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At least the kid is OK.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top