Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 3:35:26 PM EDT
I'm exploring both of these careers. If anyone knows would they be willing to share the cost of schooling, length of schooling, amount of money made after schooling and difficulty of schooling with the majority of classes being in x field.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My dentist does very well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine is a dentist.. Seems like a great line of work to be in. Low stress and a lot of coin...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#3]

What do your grades look like?

Do you want to be sticking your hands into people's mouths for the rest of your life?  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I currently have a 3.79 GPA at my community college.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm exploring both of these careers. If anyone knows would they be willing to share the cost of schooling, length of schooling, amount of money made after schooling and difficulty of schooling with the majority of classes being in x field.

Thanks

I'm an attorney.

3 years in a private law school will be around $120k-$150k.  State schools are less, obviously.

4 years for an undergraduate degree plus 3 years of law school.  You'll spend a couple months studying for the bar after graduation.

If you do well in law school, it's possible to make $100k+ working in a big city firm right out of law school.  The tradeoff, of course, is very long hours.  At the other end of the spectrum assistant DA's around here make around $50k to start, which is good money in upstate NY.  They also work long hours but get a lot of experience very very quickly.  I'd estimate that most first year attorneys around here make between $40k and $60k.

I didn't find law school to be particularly difficult; it's just very work intensive and you have to stay on top of all the reading.

Feel free to ask more specific questions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm a dentist-4 years under grad, you need the sciences, although not necessarily a science degree, and you need to be an A student. Getting into dental school is very competitive. Expect several hundred people to apply for each dental school spot-only one gets it.  With undergrad and dental school you'll be about 200,000 in debt.  What you make is up to you, depends on the market area of the US. I would guess 80-120,000 salary your first year out of school.

Edit: Part of the competition is showing a desire to be in dentistry- You will need to work in the field in some fashion, before you apply to a dental school.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#7]

These two careers sound pretty different, does one appeal to you more than the other?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd pick attorney.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Dentist.  More respect and there's always a demand.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
These two field don't require much engineering and they make pretty good money, I am interested to both careers   also. I've heard that dentists make almost as much as doctors but a lot less hassle and training. IM sent with some questions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd pick attorney.

I'd pick dentist.  

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have good friends that are both. Hard to say which is best.

I would say that being a really GREAT dentist takes skills that not all possess.

Same holds true for attorneys, but theirs is more mental. Being a dentist takes both.

I played golf today with the President of one of my banks and two guys that he was courting for their business. They were both lawyers and great guys

However.....guess which 2 of the 4 were making money and which weren't. That is the great thing about being a business owner, I make money at the golf course, and all of my Dr, lawyer, dentist, chiropractor buddies have to be at work to make money. I wouldn't trade with any of them.

If I had it to do over....I would become an insurance agent.

But there is always that pesky "try to make a difference in the world" thing when you are young.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Lets put it this way, as a dentist, you will get paid 90% of the time(you send the bills to the insurance co. As a lawyer you send bills to normal people, most dont have that much money, or just dont care and you dont get paid. I know of a lawyer that has owed about 300K
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lets put it this way, as a dentist, you will get paid 90% of the time(you send the bills to the insurance co. As a lawyer you send bills to normal people, most dont have that much money, or just dont care and you dont get paid. I know of a lawyer that has owed about 300K

A good friend of mine is probably the most well respected defense attorney around these parts and I discussed this with him once. He told me point blank, when people are looking at losing their freedom, they find the money to pay him.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'd pick attorney.

I'd pick dentist.  

Me too.  Teeth always need work and I wouldn't think the liability is as risky as a physical doctor/surgeon.  Oral surgeons probably do well also.  I'm talking out of my ass though, so listen to people in the field.

I CAN tell you that the world (or at least CT) needs more good .NET/C# programmers from my experience if that sort of thing interests you
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd pick attorney.

I'd pick dentist.  

Me too.  Teeth always need work and I wouldn't think the liability is as risky as a physical doctor/surgeon.  Oral surgeons probably do well also.  I'm talking out of my ass though, so listen to people in the field.

I CAN tell you that the world (or at least CT) needs more good .NET/C# programmers from my experience if that sort of thing interests you
J2EE programmers are in demand here, I hate it though, prefer C.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:16:21 PM EDT
[#17]
You should be a crime fighting dentist.

After a long day of battling cavities and gingivitis, you could scrape the plaque and decay of purse snatchers and pickpockets off of the streets of Portland.

...And you could wear a cape.  How cool is that?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine is a dentist.. Seems like a great line of work to be in. Low stress and a lot of coin...

All that is correct except for it being a low stress job.  Lots of stress involved at times.  The difficulty will vary depending on the particular school.  That said, dental school is hell, but worth it in the end.  As far as how it pays, refer to this thread  http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=881871
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You too can be replaced by a man from India who would be more than happy to work for $5.55/hour!
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Has anyone here ever looked at aeronautical degrees? Do they require much mathematical interest?
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks

Dentists can easily make more money than lawyers and are MUCH happier in their careers. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut about how much I despise lawyers.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks

Don't become a lawyer unless:

- You're good at subjects like English and History
- You enjoy (and are good at) proper, polite arguments
- You read voraciously
- Long nights don't phase you
- You're prepared to go out and do lots of volunteer/unpaid legal clerkships etc during law school

The market is filled with wishy-washy lawyers with a JD and nothing else. If you want a real career out of law, you need a fair bit of natural flair for the skills of law, be prepared to put lots of work in for good grades and work experience and in the States you need to be in a good law school.

Dentistry, on the other hand, is more or less a ticket to a good ride. Not saying it isn't hard, but a DDS alone will carry you far further than a JD alone will. Don't become a lawyer unless you have a real passion for it. Otherwise you're going to have three expensive years of hell, and a lifetime in a job that sucks for those that don't love it. That being said, a good lawyer has the potential to do amazing things a dentist could never do (Alan Gura, anyone?), but's its certainly not for everyone, and certainly not for most law students.

My personal advice to a smart person is to go for Engineering or Medicine/Dentistry/Physio etc. Stay away from law unless you'd be really good at it and you have a passion for it compared to the sciences.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd much rather be a dentist than a lawyer.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Be a dentist.  Much less to explain to God when you eventually stand before him.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dentist.  More respect and there's always a demand.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Dentists can easily make more money than lawyers and are MUCH happier in their careers. I'm gonna keep my mouth shut about how much I despise lawyers.

I know some lawyers in East Texas that no dentist no matter how successful could compete with money wise.

Multiple private jets, 14th Tee Pebble Beach vacation home, car dealerships for their relatives to run......shit like that. Of course they were one of the lead firms in the Tobacco Class Action suit.

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You too can be replaced by a man from India who would be more than happy to work for $5.55/hour!

Not in my experience.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 6:06:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe you should ask the PAY CZAR!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#29]

I don't know any dentists struggling to keep the lights on.

I can introduce you to many struggling attorneys.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#30]
What will happen to dentistry if obummer gets socialized medicine passed?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got a friend who became a dental surgeon and is now setting up his own practice.

A friend of his is a few years ahead of him and clears over $130K/month (before taxes).

Read some of the lawyer threads, it sounds like a tough gig.

RF
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:10:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Has anyone here ever looked at aeronautical degrees? Do they require much mathematical interest?

Shit loads. Less math is usually industrial. Still has math though. You won't make a medical or dental school without really good grades including math. WJ (BS Industrial)
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

I know some lawyers in East Texas that no dentist no matter how successful could compete with money wise.

Multiple private jets, 14th Tee Pebble Beach vacation home, car dealerships for their relatives to run......shit like that. Of course they were one of the lead firms in the Tobacco Class Action suit.

One group in the Fla panhandle made 900 million dollars for the 9 partners. Those are the exception rather than the rule. WJ
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
In some ways lawers and dentists have alot in common.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit loads. Less math is usually industrial. Still has math though. You won't make a medical or dental school without really good grades including math. WJ (BS Industrial)

How much and what type of math? I'm thinking aero degrees would be better for a potential AF ROTC scholarship, in comparison to liberal arts or something, Arggghhh, I hate being confused as to what I want to do.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I've heard that dentists are disliked, or they feel they are, and have a high suicide rate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#37]

What about this? You tell us what you like to do, what you hate doing, what you're good at, what you stink at, your meyers briggs personality type and the bare minimum you're willing to make doing something you love. We'll try to figure it out for you.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#38]
You know what OP, you can make anything into a big deal providing that you're willing to work the angles.

Dentist, Lawyer, Doctor, Accountant, Businessman, Social Worker, Salesperson.

Pick something you like and do it well.  That is the field that you need to be involved in.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#39]
As a law student I can say this. FOR GODS SAKE BE A DENTIST!

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#40]
It depends, a lot, on what kind of law you intend to practice.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:06:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Please explain
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain

Getting paid as a lawyer is like pulling teeth.... why not just get paid to pull the teeth in the first place?

OP, if you can't decide between the two you should be neither.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#43]
dental school is VERY difficult to get into, mainly because there are so few of them.

law school is not overly difficult to get into, especially if you're prepared to go to second-rate school.

But honestly, your performance at a community college has little bearing on your ability to get into either.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Really? Why?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#45]
dude.  don't go pick one just for the money, which it seems like you're doing.

My brother is an oral surgeon.  He just started his own practice.  He's 32.  Now, he's not making a shitton of money now, but he will soon.  he is VERY good at what he does, and honestly one of the best oral surgeons I have seen (i've seen some of the shit he's patched up, and he also took out my wisdom teeth).  He's skillful.

Now, I'm an attorney.  I don't have my own practice.  I work 50-70 hour weeks.  I'm currently traveling for work, and working the entire time I'm gone.  I'm in insurance work.  I keep track of every minute of every thing that I do.  It is my least favorite part of my job.  If you are in the top 5 of your law school (or 10, whatever) and land one of those "dreamjobs" where you start off at 170k, good for you but you will have NO life.  I have somewhat of a life as it is, but i make nowhere near 170. I do make decent for a 2nd year associate.

they are such different jobs.  i don't have the skills to be a dentist, and my brother thinks nothing like an attorney.  maybe you're different and can do both, but don't look at it strictly from the money/prestige side.  (by the way, as badly as people speak of attorneys, I'm everyone's best friend when they need me)

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain

suicide rate.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please explain

Getting paid as a lawyer is like pulling teeth....

O'rly?  I've been in solo private practice for 9 years, and I have never not been paid.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Per hour worked, an attorney will earn more IMHO.

My wife billed at $350/hr.  Her boss, billed at over $1000/hr; he did intellectual property.

From my research into dentistry, when I was looking, the average is $130K/yr.  High was $900K and low was $40K IIRC.

ETA:  I recall reading that 90%+ of dentists are self employed.  

I'm a business owner myself, and as the other business owner mentioned above, I'm earning money all the time.

Even when I'm in Italy for the month.

Also, I can sell my business if/when I get tired of it or want to retire.

One more thing to consider; taxes.  Given the war against the "rich", lawyers and doctors are straight in the cross hairs.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top