Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2009 4:52:14 PM EDT
I am looking at a new 2009 Ford Edge SEL.  Does not have the Vista View roof which I understand has had some problems.  If you currently own one, would you buy another.  

Arfcom mechanics, what areyour thoughts about the Edge?  Reliability, etc.?

Thank you in advance for thoughtful repies!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one for a rental and was reasonably impressed.  It gets up and goes thats for sure.  The only problem I had was the AC fan in the highest setting was slightly akin to a light breeze.  Apparently they were made that way so keep the interior quiet instead of rapid cool down.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
We drove one before buying a Toyota Higlander.  My wife didn't like the way it handled.  Too bad it was really nice and I would have liked it.  I for the most part like Fords.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:13:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag as my FIL is thinking about buying one and I have no clue about the Edge.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one for a lease, it was a fine vehicle.  Handled really well, and was quite comfortable.  I didn't have any mechanical problems with mine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife has one as a company car.  Its the limited model so it has a bunch of bells and whistles.  I like it ok, as far as an suv/wagon/car type thingy it drives pretty nice and handles reasonably well.  Out of everything she has had as a company car it defenitely is my favorite.  Personally as American cars go, Ford doesn't really make any bad products anymore, and they are playing with the big boys with thier newest models.  I would tell you to go ahead and get one if you liked it enough on a test drive.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:21:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My friend has one and loves it.  We test drove the equivalent Mazda once and liked it, probably only didn't buy because it was 2wd and they're reportedly poor in the winter.  IIRC all Edges are AWD?
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#7]
get the 22" wheels they offer and you will be ballin'!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife's Aunt ordered a new one in March, they have not delivered it, told the dealer a couple days ago if it ever showed up to keep it
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#9]
We've had one for a year and a half. No issues whatsoever, including the moon roof  - fuel consumption is about 19mpg combined (they claim 24mpg if I remember correctly). The AWD is very effective in bad weather and the car has got us through some nasty road conditions when other SUV's were spinning around in the snow and ice.

We will probably buy another one when the time comes to replace it.

Major downside is the plastic interior - it's a crappy hard plastic dashboard and fake chrome trim. I gues that's what you get with American cars at that price point though.

HTH

D.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife has had one for almost 2 years now (SEL Plus), She likes it & has no complaints.
The Hwy MPG is excellent for a vehicle this size !
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies!!

Another question.  Is there any way to find out in advance what rebates/incentives Ford will offer later in the year.  The current round of rebates expire June 30, 2009.  I would like to know what will be offered after that date on 2009 model year vehicles and I have not found any source on the net.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Another question.  Is there any way to find out in advance what rebates/incentives Ford will offer later in the year.  The current round of rebates expire June 30, 2009.  I would like to know what will be offered after that date on 2009 model year vehicles and I have not found any source on the net.

how about joining a ford car forum and go to their website...DUH!!!

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

how about joining a ford car forum and go to their website...DUH!!!

I searched the forums and there is NO info on FUTURE Ford rebates/incentives.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Auto companies do not post future rebates in advance. If they did it would kill

their current month sales.  Fords rebates and incentives are usually posted on

their website at the beginning of each month. ETA: The beginning of the month

may not be exactly on the first!!  Could be anywhere from the first to the 5th.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Auto companies do not post future rebates in advance. If they did it would kill
their current month sales.  Fords rebates and incentives are usually posted on
their website at the beginning of each month. ETA: The beginning of the month
may not be exactly on the first!!  Could be anywhere from the first to the 5th.

Good point Stealth.  I thought if entire feature length movies were leaked ahead of time on the net (those dastardly DVD pirates!), then possibly rebate info may be leaked as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Bump, just to here a few more opinions.

I'm not in the market, but my parents are seriously considering buying an Edge. They've been hunting around the dealerships a lot recently looking for just the right one. They would prefer slightly used, but they might buy a new '09 once the '10s come out and prices on the '09s come down a bit. They've got enough to pay cash for one, but if they buy new they'd take the 0% financing.

Just want to make sure they're not rushing into things...I've always been a Ford guy, but have never been too big of a crossover fan.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top