Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 3:50:30 PM EDT
The real story of Blackhawk down is gonna be on History Channel at 9 pm. Looks like its gonna be good
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The real story of Blackhawk down is gonna be on History Channel at 9 pm. Looks like its gonna be good
View Quote

Eastern or Central time ????
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for reminding me, I think its on here at 9PM Eastern.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll be watching it for sure. I saw the movie last night, and thought it was pretty good, not great.

PBS has a GREAT series called Frontline. Some of the best news coverage of any show I've ever seen. They did this story a while back and it was jaw dropping.(The Frontline episode on Rwanda was one of the most incredible stories I've ever seen.)

I'm sure the History Channel will do a good job as well on the Blackhawk down story. What the hell else would you rather watch @ 9 anyway?[>:/]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
8 PM Central time.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Watching it now , very disturbing
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
It's on now.........Damn!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn Skinny's. Those people diserved to be wiped out. That sure was disturbing the way these disrespected our dead American servicemen. When I look back on my life I wish I had joined the military right after I got out of high school. I guess one of the reasons I didn't was I would have served under the clinton addministration and that to my was something I wouldn't do. I have such disrespect and hatered for the the way he cut funding for the military and his disrespect for the office that I couldn't serve.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
So what do you think? I thought it was excellent
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
the movie was better

keving67
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting to hear it from the guys...

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]
One thing that struck me was how Adid"s son took over for him after his death. If I understood the show right, the son was living in California at the time of the fathers death, and actually served in the US Military in Somalia. I taped the show, so I will go baack and review it later tonight....fulllclip
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
... One thing that stood out that disturbed me was that [u]everyone[/u] interviewed seemed to make apologies about being there!
Maybe it was just the PC thing to do. Damn.

The movie was good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The facial exporessions and body language of the interviewees from somalia where very disturbing. Those little fuckers were completely overjoyed at the way they dragged soldiers through the streets when discribing the act. Thanks Bill CLinton for showing the world that if you kill a few American soldiers on TV the US will pull out![puke]

[beer]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I caught the show last night too. It got me wondering if pulling out was the right thing to do. They did disrespect American troops, but then again, we killed thousands of them in that battle, didn't we? If we go on a full-scale war, then even more Americans will die, and what for? For a country that nobody really gives a crap about and we didn't have a good reason to be in in the first place? It sounds like Vietnam all over again.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#15]
OK OK I am gonna go out on the flaming limb here.  Let me start by saying that ever skinny who dragged our guys' bodies through the street needs a close encounter with a minigun from about 10 feet and if it were up to me I probably would have blown up the whole damn city after all that.

BUT, OTOH, a lot of skinnies liked Aidid, they thought Americans were a bunch of arrogant interventionists buzzing around in their helicopters, and according to this account, between one thousand and ten thousand skinnies died in this battle.  I would guess they were pretty pissed off.

What would you do if the UN came to your town and killed thousands of your people?  You would be pretty pissed off.  I don't know if Americans would go so far as to drag bodies through the streets, but it wouldn't be a pretty sight if some AR15 dot commer, with an evil "assault rifle," managed to down a UN helicopter which was firing on your own neighborhood and killing your neighbors.  Think the UN chopper crew would be in a world of shit?

Anyone doubting where I really stand on this, see the first paragraph.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#16]
This whole scenario gives a good perspective on the beneficial uses of close air support and precision munitions. Could have turned out a lot better if we had some planes over there dropping smart bombs on the crowds of 'skinnys'.

[-=(_)=-]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Shows what RPGs can do to low, slow moving aircraft
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:29:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
... One thing that stood out that disturbed me was that [u]everyone[/u] interviewed seemed to make apologies about being there!
Maybe it was just the PC thing to do. Damn.

The movie was good.
View Quote

The taking of human life, no matter what the reason, has an enormous cost to those of us that aren't psychopaths. And again it was a mission that spun out of control...healing is going take a long time....Your always going to ask yourself if the was only something I could have done better, maybe....PTSD not PC

Gib(been there)
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BUT, OTOH, a lot of skinnies liked Aidid, they thought Americans were a bunch of arrogant interventionists buzzing around in their helicopters, and according to this account, between one thousand and ten thousand skinnies died in this battle.  I would guess they were pretty pissed off.
View Quote

Aideed and his clan were using famine as a weapon. They killed off 300K people of other clans to consolidate their hold on power in that benighted fourth-world shithole. At what point is it incumbent on the rest of the world to step in and give them a time out? After the first 10K die? Or do we wait until the count is up around 500K? I don't have an answer for that question.

That said, and all my respect to the men of Task Force Ranger and the Delta and 160th SOAR guys who gave all they had, but it should have been Africans un-&%$#ing that mess, not Americans.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#20]
For those who missed it, The History Channel will be repeating [b]True Story of Black Hawk Down[/b] on;
Saturday 1/26, Sunday 1/27(twice),and Saturday 2/2. Check TV Guide Online([url]tvguide.com[/url])for specific times and channels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top