Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 4:39:49 PM EDT
Who would have thought that the funniest show on TV would be a cartoon?

Homer kills me!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Kills me too!

But down here, I get to to hear Homer speaking in Spanish – not the same somehow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta love those crazy Simpsons!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent!

[img]http://www22.brinkster.com/tg110/Cartoons/Simpsons/bios_townspeople_burns.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
yeah thats one of my favorites along with King of the Hill("dad, can I have a gunrack on my bike?", south park and man-show
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
THE BEST SHOW ON TV!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
THE BEST SHOW ON TV!!!!
View Quote

I could not agree more!! I have enjoyed watching the Simpsons for years.[beer]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:59:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Nothing finer.  Funniest show ever.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ehh, it's been going downhill for years. Still the best comedy on television, but it's been going downhill for years.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]
The Simpson's got banned in our house 10 years ago when our then 11 year old son started running around saying "Hi, I'm Bart Simpson. Who the hell are you".

Somehow I don't think that we've missed out on all that much.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/SGB%2FIs%2520Too%2520%2D%2520Is%2520Not%2Egif[/img]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The smartest, wittiest, funniest television show in history. Nothing else-not even South Park-can compare to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Somehow I don't think that we've missed out on all that much.
View Quote

Believe me-you are.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I just remembered this I got a autographed hand draw picture of bart by matt groening right when the show got started on fox but threw it away probebly would have been worth something now.

I like all the little jokes during the simpsons you can't just take it for face value thats how everyone gets offended you got to look at what they are trying to show. I always thought it was funny that the strict parents would try control there kids and make sure they didn't watch such a evil show like the kids wouldn't watch it at there friends house, I guess the same mom's that are trying to take away all the guns, because without guns there is no crime, RIGHT?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ehh, it's been going downhill for years. Still the best comedy on television, but it's been going downhill for years.
View Quote

Agreed.  1998 was the last season when every episode was funny.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:23:44 PM EDT
[#15]
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/SimpHomer.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Agreed.  1998 was the last season when every episode was funny.
View Quote

They had a slow period between '98-'00. I think it's really coming back strong now-especially this season. I think they got a new executive producer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
it seems that everyone older than gen-x seems to have dismissed the simpsons as a "cartoon". as if they somehow have grown out of that part of their lives.  what they have missed, is that for starters, the humor in the simpsons is often geared directly to their own generation. also, the forget the fondness to which they held their favorite cartoons such as tom and jerry (which if you watch, is laden with humor that could only have been understood by adults).  the simpsons to me is the best mirror through which american society can see themselves in. from religion to big business, no profession or personality type is safe from ridicule, and this to me is the best part of the series.  it is an equal opportunity offender.  to me instant credibility in a converstation is given to those who quote or have a knowledge of the simpsons, because i know that they understand not only what i consider a somewhat "undergorund" political satire, but they are able to see throug the label of "cartoon" and see the real value beneath.
oh and as a sidenote, its damn funny too.  ...mmmm....sacrelicious....

btw- did anyone else ever watch TinyToons and wonder how many kids caught 2/3ds of the jokes, much less the movie, political and even sexual refences? i thought that because of its longevity, it was proof of the lack of parental supervision especilly where the television was concerned.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#19]
How about the Simpsons when Homer joins the gun club?  Hysterical!!

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
it seems that everyone older than gen-x seems to have dismissed the simpsons as a "cartoon". as if they somehow have grown out of that part of their lives.  what they have missed, is that for starters, the humor in the simpsons is often geared directly to their own generation. also, the forget the fondness to which they held their favorite cartoons such as tom and jerry (which if you watch, is laden with humor that could only have been understood by adults).  the simpsons to me is the best mirror through which american society can see themselves in. from religion to big business, no profession or personality type is safe from ridicule, and this to me is the best part of the series.  it is an equal opportunity offender.  to me instant credibility in a converstation is given to those who quote or have a knowledge of the simpsons, because i know that they understand not only what i consider a somewhat "undergorund" political satire, but they are able to see throug the label of "cartoon" and see the real value beneath.
oh and as a sidenote, its damn funny too.  ...mmmm....sacrelicious....

btw- did anyone else ever watch TinyToons and wonder how many kids caught 2/3ds of the jokes, much less the movie, political and even sexual refences? i thought that because of its longevity, it was proof of the lack of parental supervision especilly where the television was concerned.
View Quote

I have to agree. If one does look back and open their eyes, animated shows were mainly written for ADULTS! Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, Popeye, etc. were all geared to the adult audience. You also have to remember that most cartoons were shown as shorts before the main feature in movie houses, along with news reels.

Tiny toons I thought was hiliarious! When I first saw the first episodes, I was shocked that they were showing this during the "kids hour".  I laughed my ass off on several episodes. But I have a feeling that many kids did understand the jokes. We don't give enough credit to the kids out there for what they know.

Another interesting cartoon that isn't getting much play time is Space Invader Zim. I can't remember if it on Nick, or Cartoon network. Unfortunately, I just read that they are pulling out and only ordered 6 show this season.

There are cartoons that are geared towards the appropriate audience of kids. One that comes to mind is "The Smurf's". Of course I (and many others) hated it, becaus it was written for really small children.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI, the Simpson's creator is strongly anti. So is the show "King of the Hill".
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Family Guy is right up there with the Simpsons.

South Park and King of the Hill are not even in the same league.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree.  Matt Groenig (sp?) is pro-gun. He has been depicted on the Simpsons as a Texan "oil-tycoon" brandishing a six-shooter while shouting, "get out of my office!".  Seems to me that an anti, as the shows creator, would not let them self be depicted in that manner.

In the Simpson's introduction, when Maggie (Homers youngest daughter) gets scanned though the grocery store checkout, the register readout says “NRA 4EVER”.

I dont know about the Mike Judge.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Remember Homer's brother that owned a car company?? His name escapes me.

He got all the Simpsons gifts, including a lifetime NRA membership for Bart. Of course he also said some kinda anti stuff when he presented it..........

EDIT:  Just thought of his name Herb, voiced by Danny DeVito
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:14:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I dont know about the Mike Judge.
View Quote

"Guns don't kill people; the government does" - Mike Judge, from King of the Hill

I've seen some pretty pro-gun stuff on King of the Hill.  They don't over do it, but they don't make fun of it either.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#26]
"The Simpsons" eh?

Never heard of it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:I disagree.  Matt Groenig (sp?) is pro-gun.
In the Simpson's introduction, when Maggie (Homers youngest daughter) gets scanned though the grocery store checkout, the register readout says “NRA 4EVER”.
View Quote

I've never seen the checkout sign. I DO know Matt Groening is the drawer of the political cartoon "Life in Hell" that appears in the local free throw-away newsrag, "Nashville Scene". And it jabs an anti message in there on the odd occasion.

I would like to be wrong as I really like the Simpson show.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:I've seen some pretty pro-gun stuff on King of the Hill.  They don't over do it, but they don't make fun of it either
View Quote

Maybe you missed the episode where Hank tries to take Bobby deer hunting? They go to the range & there's all the usual sterotypes from the anti footlocker there? Plenty of anti comments in that particular show. Of course Bobby doesn't want to "shoot Bambi!"
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Remember Homer's brother that owned a car company?? His name escapes me.

He got all the Simpsons gifts, including a lifetime NRA membership for Bart. Of course he also said some kinda anti stuff when he presented it..........

EDIT:  Just thought of his name Herb, voiced by Danny DeVito
View Quote

Ha ha...I forgot about that one. I think bart says "cool! can i get a machine gun?" and herb says-"it's all in the 2nd ammendmant!"
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.ar15.com/members/albums/SGB%2FIs%2520Too%2520%2D%2520Is%2520Not%2Egif[/img]
View Quote

Hey look everybody!  Rik and Belloc are still going at it! [:D]

Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:I disagree.  Matt Groenig (sp?) is pro-gun.
View Quote

I've never seen the checkout sign. I DO know Matt Groening is the drawer of the political cartoon "Life in Hell" that appears in the local free throw-away newsrag, "Nashville Scene". And it jabs an anti message in there on the odd occasion.

I would like to be wrong as I really like the Simpson show.
View Quote

The "NRA 4EVR" is only there for a few frames and is almost impossible to see during the opening introduction. There was a anniversary episode hosted by "Troy McClure" where that was pointed out. That same episode shown the cartoon version of Groenig with the pistol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:28:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I love "The Simpsons".  One of my favorite episodes was "Bart Wins an Elephant".

When Stampy escapes, it charges through Springfield, disrupting both the Republican and Democratic conventions then occurring.

In the Republican convention there are banners reading:  "We want what’s worst for everyone!" and "We’re just plain evil!".

In the Democratic convention there are banners reading:  "We hate life and ourselves!" and "We can’t govern!"

I don't know what happened for the next few minutes.  I was too busy laughing.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Does anyone have a source for Simpson apparel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Bart steals the army tank and shoots down the spy satelltie for major league baseball(guest appearrance by Mark McGuire),  priceless. Simpsons is on at least three timed daily here in NY.  The best adult toon there is, but King of the Hill is great also.  The accidental discharge epsiode was great.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have to say I have a hard time believing that.  I have seen several episodes that deal with guns in one way or another and they all seemed well balanced.  Most of the jokes were aimed at us but the underlying tone was on our side in the end.  Maybe there are just some writers that have a strong influence that are on our side.  Also I recently saw an episode of King of the Hill that was the most pro-gun thing I have seen on T.V. except for the NRA infomercial.  

Talon_G32
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
i love the episode were homer gets the gun so hysterical.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 6:38:56 PM EDT
[#37]

The "NRA 4EVR" is only there for a few frames and is almost impossible to see during the opening introduction. There was a anniversary episode hosted by "Troy McClure" where that was pointed out.
View Quote

I think that's a gag for the anniversary show.  Troy makes a reference to it being typical of the "right-wing propaganda that is peppered throughout the Simpsons".

That same episode shown the cartoon version of Groenig with the pistol.
View Quote

I took that as a rif on Hunter S. Thompson
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:56:27 PM EDT
[#38]
One of my favorite episodes is when Bart, and Lisa attend a Military Academy. The scene where Bart takes out several targets, and Skinner's car, with a grenade launcher is hilarious. Also Lisa's attempt to fire an M-16, where the recoil got her airborne, was good for a laugh!
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
One of my favorite episodes is when Bart, and Lisa attend a Military Academy. The scene where Bart takes out several targets, and Skinner's car, with a grenade launcher is hilarious. Also Lisa's attempt to fire an M-16, where the recoil got her airborne, was good for a laugh!
View Quote

Range Officer: Here, Honey. Take this whistle. If you are ever in a combat situation, blow it and I will come help you....*

*paraphrased

Scott

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]
The episode wher Bart get's into the police supply room and finds all the bullhorns.

He puts them in a line speaker to mic, so there's like 10-12 in a row.

He says into the first on "test". Next thing you see a sonic wave, like a nuclear blast, or daisy cutter blast, traveling through Springfield causing a whole lot of destruction.

Priceless.
Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Homer is my favorite television character. If I ever have a son, his name will be homer.

My favorite episode is when homer finds out that if he breaks 400lbs he can go on disability and work from home.

Link Posted: 7/6/2002 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Twice a day.

Best-cartoon-ever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top