Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2002 4:27:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:31:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I read the book long ago the first time, i perhaps made the mistake of reading just before watching the movie. But now after seeing the movie 3 times, it gets better every time.

I can understand how they must pack 18 hours of a fight to 2+ hours, some people are left out, some heroic deeds are left out, people are merged etc..

The former TFR guys i have talked with feel much stronger that they should have done some things differently, but overall they say it shows the heroism and the courage of the soldiers well.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw the PBS show Frontline about this incident called Ambush in Mogadishu before I read the book.  The Frontline special had film crews in Mogadishu, and I think the film does a real great job of recreating the city.  The first LZ in front of the Olympic hotel looks just like it did in real life.
[url]http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/ambush/[/url]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The History Channel is doing "the real story" tomorrow night at 9.

I've seen the movie, now I'll watch that and then read the book.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#6]
A movie is never as good as the book it's based on. I haven't read the book, nor did I have any thorough knowledge of the incident in Somolia.
Having said that, I thought the movie was great.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Gabriel and others interested, they held a panel on the mission in Somalia, included are for example; Mark Bowden, Ridley Scott, Colonels Van Arsdale and Matthews. Gives a very good insight to the operations in Somalia.

[url]www.cspan.org[/url]

Look for Black Hawk Down, the search should come up with a link to a video about 38 minutes in length.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A movie is never as good as the book it's based on.
View Quote

In some cases it is.  In a few cases, the movie is better.  
In this case, it would have been very difficult for the movie to be exactly true to the book, since the book wasn't really in a narrative format.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 5:50:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Personally I think reading the book made the movie better as I knew more of the background.

I too had a problem with one of the crash sites, but I just thought I remembered it wrong from the book.

For accuracy purposes, I think most people would agree that this scores a 9 out of 10 compared to most Hollywood recreations.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Was it just me, or did some of the footage of  Elvis' Blackhawk going down look like the real deal.  The pentagon has all the video from the event, so maybe they used the real stuff.  I am referring to the video that General Garrison was watching in the JOC.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My movie grade: 9.25/10.

Parts I missed:

1. Combat Jack
2.  2 Somalies comming up the road, fire at one full auto and sweep across #2.
3.  Medic running back across road to get IV bags.
4.  Grenades tossed over wall that didn't go off.
5.  Contrast of new guys versus old guys reaction to morter fire on base.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anybody done any snooping and pooping over in the Ranger web sites, to see how they are taking the movie and whether or not it gets their their thumb up or down?
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has anybody done any snooping and pooping over in the Ranger web sites, to see how they are taking the movie and whether or not it gets their their thumb up or down?
View Quote

www.suasponte.com

Most of the guys I know thought it was a pretty good compromise between Hollywood and reality.

YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top