User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2002 1:19:15 AM EDT
Was The Fast and The Furious any good?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:31:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I rented it the other day, one of those movies I wait till it comes out on video.

Basically, it's Point Break except with rice rocket cars.  The hero cop even sort of reminds you of Keanu Reeves, except with even less acting talent.

It's ok though.  Two stars.  I kept feeling that I'd like this movie more if I was into import car racing, but I think souping up Honda Civics with nitrous oxide systems is kind of silly.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I didn't expect too much out of this movie either.  But it actually was pretty decent though the Keanu wannabe was prety lame.  It had a semi-real story line.  

The first street car race was like two miles long.  Where the hell can you find a two mile long street to race at it LA?
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are into tuned up Japanese import cars this movie is for you.

My idea of fast and furious is more like Saleen Mustangs, Camaro SS, Corvette Z06 and BMW M5's.

Edited to add: It's not the car, but the driver's skill.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:55:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Kids around here are trying to make their cars like those in the movie. Funny thing when they make all the noise and have all the flash then I walk them at a redlight with my old pickup truck.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 2:58:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I was realy inpressed by their ability to handle rice grinders at speeds in excess of 150MPH on city streets.

I watched a total of about 20 minutes before switching to something more realistic; the cartoon channel.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
All I needed to see was the preview where the Charger was doing the wheel stand on street tires. Yeah right! I guess they have very sticky streets in LA! Besides, fast Hondas only run for about two or three minutes before they grenade. I know the movie was longer than THAT!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
All I want to know is why in the Hell they had to wreck that Charger!!! And yes I flinch whenever the Dukes of Hazzard comes on, too many nice muscle cars smashed. [:X*]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Did not anybody notice the horrendus "gaffs" like the one where one of the kids was talking about how his dad was killed going into a corner too hot during a drag race!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:28:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Absolutely one of the worst movies I have ever seen.  None of the things that could have rescued it (e.g. copious female nudity) were present.  Essentially 90 minutes of doo-doo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
All I needed to see was the preview where the Charger was doing the wheel stand on street tires. Yeah right! I guess they have very sticky streets in LA! Besides, fast Hondas only run for about two or three minutes before they grenade. I know the movie was longer than THAT!
View Quote

I don't think a Blown 9 sec. Charger would be wearing street tires.
[%|]

Sure the wheelie looked fake and all...
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#11]
It was a fun movie but not very realistic. Basically as one poster said: it was Point Break with Rice Rockets.

A lot of neat little rice rockets. And how do all of those street racers afford to maintain their hobby ?

I liked the Charger...if you rent the film, make sure you watch it all the way through the end of the credits, and you will get a little "bonus" at the very end.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't understand their 'go fact logice'

Honda Civic About $17K

Various upgrades about $17

Wayyyy to big wing about $500

Total: $34,000

Corvette that could beat it stock, around $30,000!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I rented it the other day, one of those movies I wait till it comes out on video.

Basically, it's Point Break except with rice rocket cars.  The hero cop even sort of reminds you of Keanu Reeves, except with even less acting talent.

View Quote

Wow, that's the exact same conclusions my friends and I came up with.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

[%|]

View Quote

Don't forget the NO2 explosion.  When one of the little nitrous equipped cars catches on fire, and the nitrous tanks go off like napalm.  I thought that was a whole lot of fire for an inert gas.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
The first street car race was like two miles long.  Where the hell can you find a two mile long street to race at it LA?
View Quote

The first and last chase scenes were film around terminal island by long beach.  If you drive around alittle you will find long stretches around the old Naval shipyard. If they didn't build around it there is a dead about 1/4 flat straight away with no signs or signs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

[%|]

View Quote

I know several people with very fast (9 seconds zone) old muscle cars, and they do indeed wear DOT approved street tires (15 inches wide). However, if any one of them were to just push the go pedal down, the only result would be a cloud of rubber smoke. Slicks won't last 5 miles on the street because they are so soft they are likely to be punctured by just about any debris on the road. The Charger in the movie didn't appear to be tubbed for huge tires, much less anything big enough to get the front end in the air!

Ricers SUCK!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't forget the NO2 explosion.  When one of the little nitrous equipped cars catches on fire, and the nitrous tanks go off like napalm.  I thought that was a whole lot of fire for an inert gas.
View Quote

Yes!  My favorite!  It's gas right?  It makes cars fast right?  Therefore it must EXPLODE!
HA HA HA HA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:59:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

[%|]

View Quote

I know several people with very fast (9 seconds zone) old muscle cars, and they do indeed wear DOT approved street tires (15 inches wide). However, if any one of them were to just push the go pedal down, the only result would be a cloud of rubber smoke. Slicks won't last 5 miles on the street because they are so soft they are likely to be punctured by just about any debris on the road. The Charger in the movie didn't appear to be tubbed for huge tires, much less anything big enough to get the front end in the air!

Ricers SUCK!
View Quote

You are partially right about racing slicks, but there are steps between drag slicks and stock tires.  There are racing tires available that are fairly durable.  My best friend has an uncle with a '70 Chevelle SS 454.  It will do a wheelie with it's street tires.  When you said street tires, I was thinking 'stock'.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:59:21 AM EDT
[#19]
The plot was designed for a 15 year old.  It was a pretty bad movie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't understand their 'go fact logice'

Honda Civic About $17K

Various upgrades about $17

Wayyyy to big wing about $500

Total: $34,000

Corvette that could beat it stock, around $30,000!
View Quote

I think the overlooking element here is the turbo. I saw the movie and if you remember when they where looking under the cop's green car before the first race, (think it was a mitsu eclipse), the guy reading off his upgrades said Garrett T4 turbo.  This is the night and day difference from a riced out civic on NOS, unless of course the civil also has a turbo.

These cars can achieve serious amounts of HP from their 4 bangers with a turbo setup.  My friend is currently putting in a fresh built motor into his 92 Mitsubishi Galant (AWD AWsteering).  The motor that was built is guaranteed to with stand up to 700HP and he has an equivalent turbo setup (Garrett T3/T4).  He's hoping to be pushing around 550-600HP after he gets a Sarco air to liquid intercooler and Haltec Fuel management computer and 100HP shot NOS (he’s hoping to be in the 10s if not high 9s and will have about 10k into the car).  These cars are sleepers and are fun to upset any production sports cars with.

I hear what many are saying thought, there are a lot of rice boys out there (imports with grapefruit shooters for exhaust and big wings).  These people spent x dollars building the outsides of there cars making them "look" fast when all they have done to their motor is a K&N air filter and maybe a bottle of NOS, a stock turbo charged car can beat these ricers.

The world of turbo charged cars is real and fruitful, and are not limited to just imports.  Ever seen a mustang on with a turbo setup, unbelievable HP is possible.  I am longing to throw an eclipse setup together, need to  finish college and gather some cash.  Just wanted to shed some light on this subject.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:14:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

[%|]

View Quote

Ricers SUCK!
View Quote

You are partially right about racing slicks, but there are steps between drag slicks and stock tires.  There are racing tires available that are fairly durable.  My best friend has an uncle with a '70 Chevelle SS 454.  It will do a wheelie with it's street tires.  When you said street tires, I was thinking 'stock'.
View Quote

Will the Chevelle yank the front tires vertically 2 feet off the ground on a dusty old street like in the movie???  Even WITH slicks, it's unlikely you'd get more than one tire up, an inch or so, and standing it up AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Hell, it's hard enough to get a 10 or 9 second real drag car to hook at the track, much less on a dirty old untreated street. I speak from experience. That was purely special effects, much like the rest of the movie probably is (I've only seen the promo).

To CKA - the day you can get a 4 banger to make 700 horsepower and live more than a couple of days (of actually using that power, not pussing it around) is the day I'll give up rodding. I have a turbocharged Shelby "Charger" that is very fast for what it is. It has run low 14's bone stock with over 100K miles on it. It breaks down ALL THE TIME if I thrash it too much. Sure it's impressive to have a fast little POS, but in the end, IMHO, that's all it is.  BTW, one of the first races I had with the Shelby was against a stock `88 Vette - kicked his ass bad!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#22]
All I know is that ever since that movie came out all kinds of idiots in hotrodded Supras, 300ZX, Civics, Mitsu and Acuras have tried to race me only to have their lunch handed to them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I said the wheelie looked fake!  It obviously was, but my point was that wheelies are entirely possible with a hopped up Charger R/T 440+6.

The Chevelle would go about 1.5 feet and stay there until about 70.  It settled down real nice.

I am not trying to argue with experience Gus!
[:)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All I know is that ever since that movie came out all kinds of idiots in hotrodded Supras, 300ZX, Civics, Mitsu and Acuras have tried to race me only to have their lunch handed to them.
View Quote

I beat some moron in an Acura Integra with my Jeep.  Sure, it is the 5.9 limited, but that poor sap didn't know it until afterwards!
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I said the wheelie looked fake!  It obviously was, but my point was that wheelies are entirely possible with a hopped up Charger R/T 440+6.

The Chevelle would go about 1.5 feet and stay there until about 70.  It settled down real nice.

View Quote

That must be a VERY hopped up Chevelle!!![;)]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#26]
[url]www.heckconsulting.com/dsm/drag.html[/url]

The fastest DSM with the 2.0 liter 4G63 (4 banger) is running a 8.126 second 1/4 at 172.83 mph.

[url]www.buschurracing.com/buschur/BRwebsite.nsf/Stages?OpenFrameSet[/url]

For more info go to [url]www.dsm.org[/url]

Hey, Gus, I have a friend that will race your Shelby, just name the time and place, oh and he has half the cylinders as you.  His car should be in the top 20 DSM's (diamond star motors, (talons, eclipses, lasers and galants))

Gus my friend, time to turn in rodding.

edited to state that my friend's 10-9 second car will be his every day driving car.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Well I watched it on a big screen HDTV from a progressive scan DVD player, also Digital Dolby surround. The visuals were excellent at times and the sound was equally impressive. My friend watched it on a 32" TV with the sound turned down (cause of his kids sleeping). He basically saw a completely different movie than I did.

Like many products of Hollyweird, minimal technical detail was used in the writing or design of the movie. It did however have a nice variety of eye candy (but no nudity). If you could bring yourself to look at it as just a roller coaster ride (instead of an accurate depiction of fact) it was a lot of fun to watch. The technique of using visuals to give the sense of accelleration was pretty interesting. They also used little video clips to see things, similarly to those used in Three Kings.

Some parts were overdone and some were underdone. For the most part it was a good and entertaining movie, if you keep your reality sensitivity set on low.

It was definitely another version of Point Break as stated before.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

That must be a VERY hopped up Chevelle!!![;)]
View Quote

That it is.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:31:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Have You seen Vanshing Point? Thats a cool movie and i am talkin about the 1ST one because there was a remake.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:52:38 PM EDT
[#30]
You wanna have some real laughs?

[url]http://riceboypage.com[/url]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[url]www.heckconsulting.com/dsm/drag.html[/url]

The fastest DSM with the 2.0 liter 4G63 (4 banger) is running a 8.126 second 1/4 at 172.83 mph.

[url]www.buschurracing.com/buschur/BRwebsite.nsf/Stages?OpenFrameSet[/url]

For more info go to [url]www.dsm.org[/url]

Hey, Gus, I have a friend that will race your Shelby, just name the time and place, oh and he has half the cylinders as you.  His car should be in the top 20 DSM's (diamond star motors, (talons, eclipses, lasers and galants))

Gus my friend, time to turn in rodding.

edited to state that my friend's 10-9 second car will be his every day driving car.
View Quote

The difference is whoever you're challenging me to race is into it. I have exactly $1500 into my Shelby parts chaser. No mods, little upkeep. It's a four banger so your friend's car is a 2 cyl? Again, I only raced it because it seemed fast for what it was and I was curious. Among my local buddies, it ain't no race car!!! Hell, I only own it for the cheap transpo. Before that I had a $500 Horizon.
I just sold a 9 second Challenger, or I could take you up in a different format!  That was 9.79 @ 140 mph, single 4 bbl carb, no nitrous. I could have put it well into the 8's with the bottle, but didn't feel the need (or have the cash for upkeep at that level).

My point about your friend's car (and I am NOT trashing it - I just don't like ricers) is that it will withstand 700hp (maybe) for a VERY short period of time. The rest of the time it makes nowhere near that. Furthermore, unless he's getting killer deals on parts, labor, and the initial purchase, $10k sounds a little low.
No doubt 9-10 secs is possible, even very doable, but how many passes in a row before something goes bang? I raced two seasons in a row, only changing oil and adjusting valves, without replacing so much as a spark plug - just tires.
BTW, anybody interested in a brand new set of Goodyear D3 compound 15"x33" slicks?  $400 + shipping....never even been mounted up.

Only the best care for my "baby"!!!

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/gus%2Fcoldshelby%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's not the car, but the driver's skill.
View Quote

BS.  That WILL make the difference if both cars are close to each other in horsepower.  However, my grandma in a Camaro will beat Mario Andretti in a Civic in the 1/4 mile everytime. :D

Oringinally posted by CKA
My friend is currently putting in a fresh built motor into his 92 Mitsubishi Galant (AWD AWsteering). The motor that was built is guaranteed to with stand up to 700HP and he has an equivalent turbo setup (Garrett T3/T4).

The fastest DSM with the 2.0 liter 4G63 (4 banger) is running a 8.126 second 1/4 at 172.83 mph
View Quote

See.  This is why F&TF is a bad movie.  Everybody thinks they can make mom's car fast.  You might want to tell your friend he'll need a 500 shot of "naaawws".  "Better make it two bottles".

And the chances me running into an 8 second DSM in a street race is one in ... never!!!

I'm not saying you can't make a Civic go fast.  However, when all the bills are paid, you must ask yourself if it was worth it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
All car movies must be compared to Bullit.  This flick does not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I liked the movie, but as Raven said, it's a knock-off of the movie Point Break. The cop  has the same "dumb California-surfer" accent as Keanu Reeves and instead of posing as a surfer dude to find the bad guys, this cop poses as a street racer.
Though the street races shown in this movie could never happen, especially on the streets of L.A., the movie was fun to watch IMHO.

[b]ArmaLiter[/b]
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 4:25:56 PM EDT
[#36]
EEGAWD, I closed my eyes during a boring part of the movie and I could swear I heard Keanu Reeves' voice!   Point stupid rip, DEFINITELY!

That being said it was kinda fun to watch even if it did have ludicrous amounts of rice, flashy imports make me laugh even if they do have the balls to back it up.  Up here we've got Datsun Z's with these large aluminum wings on them bolted right to the trunk, WHAT THE HECK!????!

Also, loved the part where the green Eclipse blows up, the car gets shot all to heck and the two idiots look at eachother and say "THE NOS!"   I laughed my ass off, first of all if it was actually a situation where the car would explode I think I would say "NITROUS" instead of referring to it by it's brand name.    I'm wondering if it is even remotely possible that some of the audience that saw the movie while it was in theaters knew what NOS stands for or what fills those little blue bottles?

All told the movie left me feeling quite "URBAN", now it's gonna be hard for you to pronounce that correctly but if any of you have seen The Cable Guy where they show the TV courtroom drama played out with the woman talking about the "Asian gang", just pronounce "URBAN" the same way as she pronounced "ASIAN".   Over emphasize it and try to make yourself sound stupid and you'll have it down perfect.   It was definitely an URBAN movie.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:18:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Kids around here are trying to make their cars like those in the movie. Funny thing when they make all the noise and have all the flash then I walk them at a redlight with my old pickup truck.
View Quote

those dumb punks, same around here. all most kids can afford(bitch off of their parents) is stickers and lighting effects. i love their faces when my 1980 silverado spins out a cloud of rubber off her 31 inchers right in their face
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Saw it two weeks ago. Not an excellent movie or anything, but good entertainment-lots of cars and explosions. I saw it with a friend who's really into imports-now he wants to buy a Civic with ground effects and NOS. It would probably kick ass on a DVD player. My biggest gripe is that the lead female charectar never took her clothes off.
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Hey, Gus, I have a friend that will race your Shelby
View Quote

I was kicking myself at work for posting that, after thinking about it because it's an open invite to a pissing match, which I don't want to even touch on.  My underlining point was the value of the turbo, and that point had been made.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2002 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#40]
This movie stunk!

The Charger in the movie was built by a relation of mine with a shop in Arizona. He sold it to a Hollywood guy for about $28,000, it was painted black for the movie. The wheelie is an exaggeration, of course. Too bad they wrecked it!

Was that ending stolen from a movie called "Vanishing Point?

Link Posted: 1/18/2002 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#41]
It sucked ASS. WTF, where was the plot? You guys are gun owners? Those were some of the WORST firearms scenes I have seen in along time.

Yea, there are some fast rice cars out there, but come on, 99.9% of them have JC Whitney loud muffler with Tire Rack crap rims, yellow windshield wipers and an ass wing that sticks up 15 feet in the air.

Reminds me of when everyone had a Chevelle, Mustang or Camaro with Gaberial Hi-Jacker shocks in the back, wheel well rubbing rear tires and cherry bomb mufflers.

The most laughable? When Johnny what's his nuts pulls up on that Honda pile of shit CBR929. If those guys were into "fast" bikes they would of had a Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSXR1000 or Hayabusa or a Kawasaki ZX12.

That was one movie I watched on HBO.

Movie ranking:
Pay at the theater = It has to be really good. I drove to the theater and paid to watch it.

Rent from video store = It was ok. I drove to the video store and paid to rent it.

Watch on Pay for View = It was ok. I picked up the phone and paid to watch it.

Watch on HBO = It sucked, I was bored.

Watch on Network TV = It was ass, I was really bored and the grass wasen't growing.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

See.  This is why F&TF is a bad movie.  Everybody thinks they can make mom's car fast.  You might want to tell your friend he'll need a 500 shot of "naaawws".  "Better make it two bottles".

And the chances me running into an 8 second DSM in a street race is one in ... never!!!

I'm not saying you can't make a Civic go fast.  However, when all the bills are paid, you must ask yourself if it was worth it.

View Quote

This is a great quote.  Will any aluminum 4 cylinder hold up like a Chevy Bowtie 350?  This is what GM uses to go 500 miles at 200MPH.  Will your aluminum 4 cylinder hold up like that? No, simply because it wasn't designed to be a racing motor.  Any old Detroit muscle car can accept a 4-bolt motor that can run like hell every time until you miss a shift.  To me this is what makes it worth having a '71 SS Chevelle, and not an import, besides the style.  BTW, my Chevelle is equipped with more than a 350 SBC.[8D]
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#43]
500 miles? What about 24 hours!
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 12:25:18 AM EDT
[#44]
No matter what you can do to a civic, it will still be............a Honda Civic. I refuse to watch this movie after seeing them trash a REAL car in the preview.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey Guys and Gals,
Well I thought the movies was good for what it was....a movie. It had a lot of action scenes to keep you off your seat. Some things I didn't care for were the half true parts, such as the exploding car with NOS, ect. Well a car can explode with NOS (nitrous oxide contains 36% oxygen. Why don't we simply carry a bottle of pure oxygen, you ask? Simple; we want our engines to last more than about 2 seconds of extremely high power production) if you leave the bottle heater on or something stupid like that.  

And as to this comment "Will any aluminum 4 cylinder hold up like a Chevy Bowtie 350? This is what GM uses to go 500 miles at 200MPH. Will your aluminum 4 cylinder hold up like that? No, simply because it wasn't designed to be a racing motor. Any old Detroit muscle car can accept a 4-bolt motor that can run like hell every time until you miss a shift."  Well I say: You can add a turbo to any import also to reply to your putting a 4-bolt into any car. And for  “these cars have all aluminum engines, and they weren't designed for racing”, well that's not true either!!!!  These motors well most of them I’m taking about, have a cast block, just like the V-8 and aluminum heads …juusstt like the V-8’s.  Only cars like Acura’s have an all aluminum engine. Oh and their engine was designed after Lemans…I hope you know what that is…..

An as for holding up??? I'm sorry but like it or not these Jap motors get 200,000 out of them all the time, your big V-8 needs a rebuild after 100,000. Besides that these engines/cars are involved in Rallies and 24 hour races too ya know. Just as Buschur states, “The Mitsubishi 4G63 engine used in all turbocharged Talon, Eclipse, Laser, and Galant models has proven to be a nearly-bulletproof engine, and can handle tremendous levels of boost, and can be made to generate more than twice the factory horsepower without any modifications to the stock bottom-end or head! With only bolt-on hardware, your car can prove to be one of the fastest street-legal cars in town - capable of out-performing cars with engines of more than 4 times the displacement while still maintaining the drivability and gas mileage that you bought the car for! If you want to take your car to the ultimate level, it can be made to produce more than 600 hp to the GROUND, and can run the 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds at nearly 150 mph!”

And also, CKA stated it was the turbo well that's partially true, yes it's the turbo aanndd the rest of the supporting mods, such as J&E or Ross pistons with Eagle rods, or Crower rods. And don't forget the Programmable Engine Management system, like a Haltech or SDS. And the huge ass Intercooler or a water to air intercooler. Just adding a turbo won’t make you fast just by itself!!! Oh and that list… ha! I know that not all the fastest DSMs are on there, plus the fastest ones are all sponsored!!

I used to love Mustangs; I had one 87’ GT40 heads, Mallory Ignition, Headers, medium cam (just above a street grind). I sold it and a friend of mine had a talon for cheap (needed tranny). So that’s how it started…. Don’t knock them till you try them. To get back to the point, the movie was a movie that’s it, did it say it was a true story? BTW it was rated PG13 what the heck do you expect??? It was written, as someone stated, for 15yr to 18-year-old kids!!!  
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]

I got that warm and fuzzy feeling when it was stated that the motive for the undercover operation was
that the hijackers had to be stopped before truckers started defending themselves.

Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Being 16, let me throw in my perspective.  

First off, I am a total "no replacement for displacement" kinda guy, so I guess I'm not much different than you guys out there.

I thought the fast and the furious was a great movie, not so much becasue I like riceburners *infact I hate them*, but because it kept me entertained, and was enjoyable.  

This movie motivated me to change my car.  To make it more muscle-ish.  I ordered alot of my parts, you guys would be proud.  I own a dodge stratus R/T coupe, and am trying desperately to make it live up to the name R/T was once known for.  I'm having dual exaust done, very very simple 5 spoke 18's put on, short ram intake, downpipe, and hopefully to bore it out one of these days, kick up the displacement.  I may eventually supercharge it *or turbo...if the supercharger under development doesnt go well*, but only turbo if its a last resort.  Im trying to keep it "american", but I promise, it will never sound like a constant fart.  Hell, I was thinking I may end up slapping on a flowmaster :-)

Either way, next year I'm getting a late model C4, and that...will be true american horsepower.

I'd rather have a vette or an "R/T" than a type R or some other car that uses stickers to add horsepower.  But thats just me.  Unfortunently, I think im one of the last of my kind for this age group...so I gotta make in impression [BD]
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:12:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Have You seen Vanshing Point? Thats a cool movie and i am talkin about the 1ST one because there was a remake.
View Quote

Vanishing Point is a great car movie. If you love V-8's, you have to rent this movie.
Link Posted: 1/20/2002 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#49]
To me its not a real car enless it's a RWD V-8.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Rice cars don't trip my trigger.
Alot of my friends are into them.
When you think about it though, these cars can be Bought and Modded for really cheap, since its practically te only market the younger generation is into, parts, labor, cars can be had cheap. Some get into it because its what is more market friendly for some.

BUT!
Me and my rice buddies still want to throw a 3.0 V6 Yamaha Taurus SHO motor into a hatchback civic. For 3 grand I can build a SHO engine with 330+ HP with Gobs of Torque all the way to 8K RPMS for that little car.
Maybe some day.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top