Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2002 5:06:34 PM EDT
I am administering a parvo shot to new puppy, I've done this once before, however it left a huge knot in the muscle.  I want to avoid the same mistake this time around...anyone here know a better way and how to avoid knotting up the dogs muscle (in collar).

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much C&L, much appreciated!

[8D]
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#3]
i worked at a vet clinic for while and C&L is right, grasp the skin on the back of the neck and make it a 'tent' just be sure not to poke the syringe through it.  at the clinic we didn't administer vax im (intramuscular) we only did it subq.  at least you're giving the shots, parvo is so nasty.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i worked at a vet clinic for while and C&L is right, grasp the skin on the back of the neck and make it a 'tent' just be sure not to poke the syringe through it.  at the clinic we didn't administer vax im (intramuscular) we only did it subq.
View Quote

that's short for subcutaneously, under the skin.

at least you're giving the shots, parvo is so nasty.
View Quote

i too worked at a vet once.  saw more than a few puppies with parvo.  completely breaks my heart.  especially when i knew that a few of them had owners that specifically rejected the vaccination as a matter of "too much money".  hmmmph.  who's paying out the wazoo now????  parvo ain't cheap to fix.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#5]
If you administer a parvo vacc too early in some breeds, say, before 6 weeks, you can actually *cause* parvo.
My vet told me of a whole litter of Rottie pups that were lost this way, as Rotties are very susceptible to parvo, and need to get a bit older to be able to handle the vaccine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top