Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2009 4:57:12 PM EDT
Looking for a good source of Winchester 70 historical data––as in, what year came with what features, etc.

I recently came across a Mod 70 with a serial number that dates it to 1938 (126xx).  I got it from the original owner, but unfortunately, I can't ask him questions about the rifle anymore.    So, I'm trying to see what anybody can tell me.  

This beauty is in great condition––the only real issues are the stock finish is peeling on the rear left, and the mag floor plate, bolt handle & trigger guard are in the white now, as the finish has been worn off.  The gentleman who owned it took it out EVERY year deer hunting.

Two main questions––is the rear sight dovetail just behind the roll mark original?  And the scope that came with it is a Weaver K-41; would that be about the same time frame as well?

Google hasn't helped me much; anyone know some web sites with some more specific info?

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The Weaver was most likely added when the rifle was 20 years old or so.

The irons are probably original.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:30:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:37:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice find!
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.   I've always thought the Model 70 is the bolt action rifle with the best lines of any of them.

My father USED to have a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in .308,  which he sold to a

DISTANT relative when it had been fired EXACTLY FORTY TIMES since brand new.  He sold it

in about 1985 or so,  and for....150 dollars.  

He managed to get the rest of the family very mad at him for that.  My mother laid down the

law on him after that.  "You aren't allowed to sell another one of your guns without approval

of everyone in your family!"   She was as pissed at him as anyone.

By rights that rifle should be mine now.  Or belong to one of my brothers.   But I guess

there's no chance of that.   I've contacted that relative and asked him if he would be

interested in selling it back but he loves it too much.   So he says.

Hang onto that TREASURE and don't do anything to it that will negatively affect its value.

Enjoy it.  Be proud to have it in your safe.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
What a beauty.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Weaver was most likely added when the rifle was 20 years old or so.

The irons are probably original.

That's what's throwing me...where's the rear sight?  Is it supposed to sit on the barrel band right behind the roll mark, because I can't see anywhere else it's supposed to go.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Like this:

ETA: It's not a "barrel band". The barrel is machined in that fashion to accomodate the dovetail cut.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
The dovetail looks every other pre-64 I have seen.  Can't say about the scope.

The machining on those things is incredible.  It must have taken some guy hours to turn a block of steel into that receiver.

You can check how consistent your shooting position is by shooting 20 rounds or so, and then seeing how exactly the bruise on your shoulder matches that steel buttplate.

First year of manufacture was 1936.  Pre-war rifles (1936-1941) are considered the best, and command the highest prices.  There were only like 30,000 made.  The value will also be greater if you have a D in the serial number (it indicates a duplicate #).

How long is your barrel?  If it is 20" you could have a carbine, which would be worth more.  Rifles usually had 24" barrels.  From the pictures it looks like you have a standard grade rifle.

Our if curiosity, is the safety on safe when it is forward or to the rear?  Early Model 70s had the safety 'backwards,' like a CZ, with the 'fire' position to the rear.  I am not sure exactly when Winchester switched to the current (and better) arrangment, where you flip the safety forward to fire.  I think it was pretty early because I have only seen one 1936 rifle with the backwards safety, but I was wondering if they had changed by 1938.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
My grandfather owned a sporting goods store and had purchased a winchester model 70 in 270 caliber. He said he bought it in 1947, the serial # was 47365. This had all of the prewar features( backwards safety, etc). The scope he mounted was a Weaver K4 when new. Those mounts in the pics correspond to the weaver flipoff mounts on my other grandfathers 479xxx serial  model 70 with a weaver as well. The gun apparently was built in 1941, not serialled, and finally serialled/shipped in 1946, when my grandfather bought it in 1947. weird pre/postwar experience for a rifle. and in about the same condition. Action was better than silk, it was absolutely effortless. no thought to actually moving the bolt, it just glided in and out of battery... My favorite rifle ever, stolen by my uncle(his son)..... sold for drugs...... BTW, the receiver sight delete with dovetail blank is the exact same as your gun...FWIW
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The dovetail looks every other pre-64 I have seen.  Can't say about the scope.

That's what's interesting.  I've found lots of Weaver K4-1s for sale on the net, but not a lot of information about them (production #s, years produced, etc.) .  Very difficult to date off the Internet.

How long is your barrel?  If it is 20" you could have a carbine, which would be worth more.  Rifles usually had 24" barrels.  From the pictures it looks like you have a standard grade rifle.

It's a standard, then, barrel is 24" long.

Our if curiosity, is the safety on safe when it is forward or to the rear?  Early Model 70s had the safety 'backwards,' like a CZ, with the 'fire' position to the rear.  I am not sure exactly when Winchester switched to the current (and better) arrangment, where you flip the safety forward to fire.  I think it was pretty early because I have only seen one 1936 rifle with the backwards safety, but I was wondering if they had changed by 1938.

SAFE is to the rear, will fire when forward.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
The Weaver scope is most likely from the early 70's or later, you can halfway date them by the style of the elevation and windage caps, as well as the adjustment dial itself.

ETA: Is it a micro trac scope?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Weaver scope is most likely from the early 70's or later, you can halfway date them by the style of the elevation and windage caps, as well as the adjustment dial itself.

ETA: Is it a micro trac scope?

Yes it is.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
In my opinion, the pre 64 winchester model 70 action is one of the best rifle actions around.

Very nice find there sir.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:04:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top