Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:58:52 PM EDT
I am interested in automating my driveway gate with automatic operator. I did some research and found the best deal price wise was the Mighty Mule gate opener product. However the reviews are mixed and many people say they are slow and break often.

I called up a gate contractor and he confirmed about the mighty mule opener. he told me about a system that is much faster and more reliable made by a company called "US Automatic".. the product is called the "Patriot 1". Apparently this thing is made in the USA and they are quite proud of it. The existing gate will be replaced with a 14' galvanized aluminum tube swing gate hung on a 4"x4" wood post. The system includes a keypad and a wireless box so I can program my existing garage door openers to work with it. I was quoted $2,200 for the whole system with the new gate installed.

If I went with the Might Mule I could probably save $1000 bucks and do it all myself.

Anyone who has been down this road and have some advice?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
guess not
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll give my friend a call in the morning.. Gates are his bag.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:05:38 PM EDT
[#3]
try the Manuel brand.....

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll give my friend a call in the morning.. Gates are his bag.

cool thanks man, what county in florida? I'm in palm beach...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one of the old Mighty Mule's, came from Sam's Club it's been working for the past 10 years, just about worn out.. The newer ones look better but I've heard they can be problematic. They are made in Tallahassee, FL. Stay away from the Harbor Freight openers, total junk. Don't know about the other brand. The best are the commercial style for swing gates but  they are real expensive. Mighty Mule is an easy DIY install, I'd buy the better model ~$450 not the $199 one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:10:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in Orange , He's in Ocala area...both transplanted from Ft Liquordale.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:14:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I think a 4X4 wood post is too small for 14' gate. 6X6 wood or a 4" metal post would be much better. Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've got one of the old Mighty Mule's, came from Sam's Club it's been working for the past 10 years, just about worn out.. The newer ones look better but I've heard they can be problematic. They are made in Tallahassee, FL. Stay away from the Harbor Freight openers, total junk. Don't know about the other brand. The best are the commercial style for swing gates but  they are real expensive. Mighty Mule is an easy DIY install, I'd buy the better model ~$450 not the $199 one.

cool thanks for the info. do you have any of the accessories like the lock, keypad, or solar panel?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think a 4X4 wood post is too small for 14' gate. 6X6 wood or a 4" metal post would be much better. Just my 2 cents.

the gate contractor also felt it was a bit small but he thinks its worth a try and I may get years out of it before there is a problem.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm in Orange , He's in Ocala area...both transplanted from Ft Liquordale.

ahh too bad, I could have given him some business.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

cool thanks for the info. do you have any of the accessories like the lock, keypad, or solar panel?

I use remotes and mine is %100 solar, no keypad, no lock. If I have to lock it, we use a chain & pad lock. I've got it on a 14' stockade panel gate. One reason it's getting worn is I never bothered with a hard stop, so it get's buffeted by the wind and the pivot ends are getting wallowed out. I've replaced both the battery & solar panel once.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#12]
had a mighty mule, it shit the bed after about a year and a half (I think it was the control panel)

ETA: it took about twice as long as an electric opener.  Next time I will go electric if it is feasable
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:25:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
had a mighty mule, it shit the bed after about a year and a half (I think it was the control panel)

ETA: it took about twice as long as an electric opener.  Next time I will go electric if it is feasable

yeah everyone seems to think they are slow as hell... maybe ill pass on that one
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#14]
What I was told  ,  $2200.00 for that install is a good price. The US Auto is decent but replacement parts (actuators, boards etc..) are twice the price of those of the Apollo Gate operators ( same upfront cost) . He said he would sell the Apollo for this application and not enough info on the gate and fence arraignment  to know about the 4X4 gate post but it may be marginal at best( the minimum post they use for any gate is 6" steel )

. Does not recommend the Mighty mule but this is what he does for a living so if cost is a true issue obviously do what you have to.

Still something you may be able to do yourself although there is one bracket on the Apollo that has to be cut and welded for the specific application.

No permits needed without any new electrical service or Architectural columns

If you need any other info I can get you in touch with him
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What I was told  ,  $2200.00 for that install is a good price. The US Auto is decent but replacement parts (actuators, boards etc..) are twice the price of those of the Apollo Gate operators ( same upfront cost) . He said he would sell the Apollo for this application and not enough info on the gate and fence arraignment  to know about the 4X4 gate post but it may be marginal at best( the minimum post they use for any gate is 6" steel )

. Does not recommend the Mighty mule but this is what he does for a living so if cost is a true issue obviously do what you have to.

Still something you may be able to do yourself although there is one bracket on the Apollo that has to be cut and welded for the specific application.

No permits needed without any new electrical service or Architectural columns

If you need any other info I can get you in touch with him

wow thanks so much for the info. my guy also mentioned apollo as the direct alternative. I'm glad to see im not going to get ripped off.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Mighty Mule's SUCK.

Everyone who has one has it disconnected (including me) because i'ts jacked up.

I go into 2 to 3 rural properties per day, lots of them have gates.
I see more gates than most of you do in a lifetime.

the very best one I've ever seen.

Estate Gates

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
No problem

edit for just realizing that was post 223
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:43:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mighty Mule's SUCK.

Everyone who has one has it disconnected (including me) because i'ts jacked up.

I go into 2 to 3 rural properties per day, lots of them have gates.
I see more gates than most of you do in a lifetime.

the very best one I've ever seen.

Estate Gates

vertical lift gates? wow that something you dont see every day.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to work for a company that installed and repaird gates of all size and types my advice is to stay away from mechanical gates. They work good the frist few years and then start breaking down and can be expensive to keep in good working order.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]

I am not at all impressed with my mighty Mule gate.  It absolutely will not work when the temp drops to freezing or below.  And its temperamental during teh best of weather even.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I am not at all impressed with my mighty Mule gate.  It absolutely will not work when the temp drops to freezing or below.  And its temperamental during teh best of weather even.  

well i have yet to hear anything good about these mighty mules...
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had about 5 of the MM gate openers. biggest problem is lighting. I went through 4 boards before the nice lady at GTO told us to install the box in a metal apnel with a ground wire to a ground rod to stop the static from killing the board. I have the GTO 3000 now for about 2 years and we use it alot as we have a small ac business with 5 trucks coming and going all day long. they have a quicker opener but they are more money. over all I got what I paid for and I am very happy.

now a 4*4 won't hold that gate for long, we wound up using an 8*8 but even that twisted so we poured 24*24 concrete columns instead
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top