Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 11:22:10 AM EDT
8 yr. old Saudi child bride granted divorce
CAIRO/DUBAI (AlArabiya.net)

An eight-year-old girl in Saudi Arabia who was secretly married off by her father to a man several times her senior was granted a divorce after years of legal haranguing, according to local press reports Thursday.

The prince of Qassim province, where the girl’s hometown of Unaizah is located, interfered to divorce the girl after a judge refused her mother’s second appeal for a divorce ruling that the child-bride would have to wait until puberty to do so.

Prince Faisal bin Bandar hosted the husband in his palace earlier this week in hopes of convincing him to end the marriage, a judicial source told the Saudi edition of al-Hayat newspaper Thursday.

The 47-year-old husband agreed to forgo his original demand that he receive repayment of the 30,000 riyals ($8000) dowry he paid for the girl.

The husband, who had been given the girl in marriage by her father in return for forgiving a debt, finalized the divorce in the Unaizah court without the girl's presence.

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/04/30/71727.html
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#2]
So it begins.    

Wait, what?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm having a hard time deciding who is the worse human being - the father who basically sold his 8 year-old daughter for $8000, or the 47 year-old guy who bought her.

I guess if I was in charge, I'd kill them both, and let Satan decide which one is worse.  

Jockeying for position as ARFLAND's inquisitor early I see....
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a lot of bad debts but I'd never take a kid in trade... most of them are practically worthless!
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Not only is it disgustingly disturbing, but it's a dupe: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=867482
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:33:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Apparently a dupe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top