Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2009 8:53:02 AM EDT
My little mother went to the local gun store to purchare a shotgun and was denied by the fbi check. My mother has never commited a crime in her life, my mother is not a fugitive,my mother is not mental, she supplied all the id and info they asked for. Next she appeals the decision and the fbi mails her a letter calling her MR and that shes a fugituve from justice and they want her finger prints.
Are they out of theyre minds? This is the fbi are they that stupid? If so we are in a lot of trouble in this day and age. My mother and I are outraged how her 2nd amendment rights have been taken away basicly without cause. Its really funny you know the psycho weirdo foreigner who shoots up schools and such he passes through there tests but my little mother who doesnt even have a parking ticket they refuse and drag through the mud.What would you do?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:54:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you have to have a "file" to pass the NICS nowadays.  

I'm sure this will be getting much more restrictive under odumbo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What would you do?

AFAIK, there's not much you can do but submit to their demands. You can consult a lawyer who specializes in 2A cases but I have no idea where to direct you on that.

Sorry.

One more reason not to buy anything on paper.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Might this be a case of IDENTITY THEFT?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a small price to pay to keep guns out of the wrong hands... or something.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

are you serious?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Does your mother have a somewhat common name?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does your mother have a somewhat common name?

actually not at all

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:10:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you serious?

He's being sarcastic. You get a lot of it around here in case you haven't yet noticed.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:11:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you serious?

No, I'm not, but arfcom loves background checks.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
You buy the shotgun and give it to her.Keep up on the appeal,sounds like they didn't see she was female.
Did she give her ss # or not?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Might this be a case of IDENTITY THEFT?

they dont even realize shes a woman thats the level of intelligence we are dealing with but you know what i think its all a bs game to deter her from buying a gun they can be that stupid
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My little mother went to the local gun store to purchare a shotgun and was denied by the fbi check. My mother has never commited a crime in her life, my mother is not a fugitive,my mother is not mental, she supplied all the id and info they asked for. Next she appeals the decision and the fbi mails her a letter calling her MR and that shes a fugituve from justice and they want her finger prints.
Are they out of theyre minds? This is the fbi are they that stupid? If so we are in a lot of trouble in this day and age. My mother and I are outraged how her 2nd amendment rights have been taken away basicly without cause. Its really funny you know the psycho weirdo foreigner who shoots up schools and such he passes through there tests but my little mother who doesnt even have a parking ticket they refuse and drag through the mud.What would you do?

I don't know what that means.

Something is awreye here.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You buy the shotgun and give it to her.Keep up on the appeal,sounds like they didn't see she was female.

according to our "government" that would be a straw purchase and yes they have all her info,they just be assholes in my opinion. This is what you get when you have a govermnet with unchecked power. Next you ll need finger prints and a retinal eye scan to take a piss

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]

a fugitive from justice?

maybe someone has the same name as her and the fbi screwed up?

there's always the "gun show loophole" as the gun grabbers would say and she could still get a shotgun.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr=Mister as oppose to Mrs

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

a fugitive from justice?

maybe someone has the same name as her and the fbi screwed up?

there's always the "gun show loophole" as the gun grabbers would say and she could still get a shotgun.

i doubt its a name mix up.yeah you beleive it a fugitive its crazy, any good ones coming up in your area?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Did they run the check more then once????

I have been denied on more then on occasion but they
just run my name again and I pass.

I chalk it up to human error.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Did they run the check more then once????

I have been denied on more then on occasion but they
just run my name again and I pass.

I chalk it up to human error.

did you just go back and try again? human error? thats some error with our rights

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#19]
I think I might buy a shotgun and leave it at her place
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, cuz straw purchases are AWESOME!!!!

OP, sounds like an identity mix-up, which sucks. Get a lawyer to fight it, or just do what they're asking you to, even though it's retarded.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr=Mister as oppose to Mrs

So, just how well do you know your "mom"?

Seriously, sounds like ID theft.  Someone used her name dob, got busted and never showed hence the warrant.  

Edit.
Weird with the Mr. Mrs. thing obviously.  I guess that could have gotten switched.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Well if she did give her ss # and they are still saying she is a man and a criminal it does sound like identity theft.
I don't think a gift to a family member with no reason not to own a firearm would be a "straw purchase" though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:20:59 AM EDT
[#23]
The implementation of EngSoc and the formation of Oceanna.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP, sounds like an identity mix-up, which sucks. Get a lawyer to fight it, or just do what they're asking you to, even though it's retarded.

RIF - its his mother.  Buying a gun with the intent on giving it to a family member is not a straw purchase.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:23:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Never heard of asking for fingerprints on that kind of check, and pretty weird that they have her SSN but say there is something wrong.

You sure the person calling it in read everything correctly, or wrote it down correctly?

Might want to try going to a different store and trying again there.  If it's the same story, I'd contact a lawyer before handing over fingerprints.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Well if she did give her ss # and they are still saying she is a man and a criminal it does sound like identity theft.
I don't think a gift to a family member with no reason not to own a firearm would be a "straw purchase" though.

I know what you mean a gift is not a straw purchase but  our "government" seems to make up the rules as they go along which is frightening am i the only one who thinks so?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unjust law is no law

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Straw purchases are something that should never have been illegal in the first place, it's no business of the government what I do with my property, and it's no business of the government who does and doesn't own guns.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Due to my lack of experience in this area, having never been delayed or denied, I have absolutely nothing to add to this thread other than 1 to my post count.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:25:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

whats that?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Just go to the hometown forum and search the EE for a local FTF deal and avoid the Govt bullshit.

In most states, FTF/private no paperwork sales on long guns are perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unjust law is no law

Civil disobedience for the win, if more principled people would just stop adhering to laws that violate our rights, maybe we'd be getting somewhere we want to be, instead of further down the road to hell.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#33]
What a fucking crock.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whats that?

Go scare yourself - read 1984 by George Orwell ... better yet, rent the audio book from your library and listen to it while you drive to and from work.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

An unjust law is no law

Civil disobedience for the win, if more principled people would just stop adhering to laws that violate our rights, maybe we'd be getting somewhere we want to be, instead of further down the road to hell.

ive been saying that for years lol

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

RIF - its his mother.  Buying a gun with the intent on giving it to a family member is not a straw purchase.

It is if they can't legally own one, which, due to some retarded issue with the FBI, she currently can't. So by your definition, my SIL could buy her 4 time felon of a husband a gun, and give it to him with no problem? He is a family member after all...

I'm not saying what I would or wouldn't do, I'm just saying that talking about buying a person who failed the background check a gun, on the internet, is a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#37]
OP, aside from the frustration with the NICS check, it's all a big red flag that something is up with her person information and for her sake it needs to be followed up on. If she's an unknown victim of identity theft and there's a warrant in the system that would make for a seriously rotten day in case of a traffic stop. If she's done nothing wrong then steps need to be taken to clean up the record, it wont go away on its own. A NICS appeal and fingerprint card can get her what is known as a UPIN number to use for firearm purchases that will alleviate the delays or denials in purchasing, and you'll have to follow up with your local PD to see whats in the system and why, a lawyer will would be most helpfull in getting this done. Have a look at all three credit reports as well, you'll likely find issues there as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:35:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is if they can't legally own one, which, due to some retarded issue with the FBI, she currently can't. So by your definition, my SIL could buy her 4 time felon of a husband a gun, and give it to him with no problem?

I'm not saying what I would or wouldn't do, I'm just saying that talking about buying a person who failed the background check a gun, on the internet, is a dumb idea.

seriously
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#39]
adding your social should eliminate similar name denials I think, and in this state having a ccw to show eliminates the check.....unless the ffl does it any way to cover their ass
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

+1.  If just one child is saved by us giving up all of our rights, then it was worth it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#41]
she should use her ssn...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
she should use her ssn...

we did,they asked for it
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  If just one child is saved by us giving up all of our rights, then it was worth it.

like george carlin said......fuck the children lmao!

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

the fbi mails her a letter calling her MR and that shes a fugituve from justice and they want her finger prints.

Maybe she took a sly bite out of a cookie at the local old folks bring and buy sale?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#45]
A failed background check does NOT mean she cannot legally own a gun.

It MAY mean it was an ERROR.  or it MAY mean your mother has something she never told you.

That said, gifting a firearm to your family is NOT illegal.

My advice, go to another gun store and try to buy another firearm....she if you get the same rejection.  Or send off her prints and also you could pay your local LE agency to do a criminal background to see if there is something on there that may be Identity theft related.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Definitely get her some credit monitoring, etc... could be a case of identity theft... or just a error in the system... I've heard stories of cops misentering information about criminals in nics, and innocent people being carted off to jail when they light up a console at the airport, etc.  I would think a call to whoever manages the Nics system, to explain teh situation, should get it worked out.

But, just in case...

Hide your / her dog...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Hi, I am dreadfulshadow's Mom, I called the FBI today and told them that the denial response I recieved today in the mail was addressed and written to a "MR. **" I explained that I am a female, and the person at the FBI told me she would fix that error. However that is not the reason I was denied. There seems to be someone in their data base that "may" have similar characteristics and/or name. This alleged person Is a fugitive from justice, and it could very well be ME. So I asked if this were so, why haven't they come to arrest me? She chuckled and said well, we don't know where you live, it is not in our database, so I asked well you have mailed me this denial at my home, no???? She agreed, and had little to say. She told me to deliver my prints and I could be exonerated. I have a current credit report and there is no identity theft. I also have a very unique name- as a matter of fact there is no none but me with this name when I google and search this name through various search engines. I am 47 years old- I have a very lengthy paper trail, as I own homes, work in health care,  and have a drivers license for thirty years. It seems a bit suspicious that they DONT know who I am. I find it  hard to believe that it is an error- but perhaps a smoke screen into obtaining my prints in order to beef up their database. HMMMMMMMMMMMM
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:45:19 PM EDT
[#48]
This.   You'll probably find a deal as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Something is wrong here. You state that they say she is a fugitive from justice and they want her prints. If she really is a fugitive then they already have her prints.Just doesn't sound right.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Hi, I am dreadfulshadow's Mom, I called the FBI today and told them that the denial response I recieved today in the mail was addressed and written to a "MR. **" I explained that I am a female, and the person at the FBI told me she would fix that error. However that is not the reason I was denied. There seems to be someone in their data base that "may" have similar characteristics and/or name. This alleged person Is a fugitive from justice, and it could very well be ME. So I asked if this were so, why haven't they come to arrest me? She chuckled and said well, we don't know where you live, it is not in our database, so I asked well you have mailed me this denial at my home, no???? She agreed, and had little to say. She told me to deliver my prints and I could be exonerated. I have a current credit report and there is no identity theft. I also have a very unique name- as a matter of fact there is no none but me with this name when I google and search this name through various search engines. I am 47 years old- I have a very lengthy paper trail, as I own homes, work in health care,  and have a drivers license for thirty years. It seems a bit suspicious that they DONT know who I am. I find it  hard to believe that it is an error- but perhaps a smoke screen into obtaining my prints in order to beef up their database. HMMMMMMMMMMMM

I know who you are lady!!  You can't fool me.  You will continue to be denied unless you post pics, a full 360, from all sides if you want your papers.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top