Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2009 9:22:44 AM EDT
I can't tell if it's great or if it's a gimmick.

https://www.hangingtomato.com/?cid=486431
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
hmmm rather cool.. Does it work on the fruitless versions of the tomato plant too?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Just saw an infomercial this morning for those when my wife turned on the TV as we woke up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't you do the same thing with a coffee can and some safety wire???

Just cut a hole in the bottom???
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the tensile strength of a tomato plant stem substantially greater than the compressive buckling strength?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#5]
i saw it too, wouldnt be hard to build one yourself, but with the cost, it might be worth it to buy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, bought one for my Dad.  He grew some tasty tomatoes with it.  Worked great.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#7]
My daughter did a side by side comparison of the two planting methods last year for a science project.

The results prefered the traditional method of planting.

Also, those images of the perfectly tapered, vine like tomato plant are deceptive/fabricated.

the plants grew downward until they had enough length, and then they turned upward toward the son.  The weight of the fruit (smaller than the 'control') caused it to sag a little, but it was far from hanging down, as the images would suggest.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I just built two of them with 2.5 gallon pails. Cut a 2.5 inch hole in the bottom and use a sponge to seal around the hole when you put the plant through. Fill with dirt and voila!

If you google it, you'll find lots of info on do it yourself methods. Those things are 20 bucks with 10 bucks shipping. 2.5 gallon pails at Lowes are 3 bucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top